Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who marks their quilting pattern? >

Who marks their quilting pattern?

Who marks their quilting pattern?

Old 07-06-2023, 10:35 PM

I am just now getting my feet wet with FMQ'ing and ruler work so I'm experimenting with just about everything I can get my hands on. So far, I like the Sewlite pencils, but I'm also using heat erasable pens, tailor's chalk and regular chalk pencils. I thought about the Pounce, but after reading many saying that the pink tends to stain, I am just too afraid to use it since the majority of my quilts have natural colors or white for the background.

I must be weird, too, because in the beginning, I hated marking my quilts. But, I've learned that this is a great spot to slow things down and catch my breath. I usually have a cup of tea or coffee, put on some soft music and just spend some time with it. I can adjust the pattern to go over an area that I'm not too pleased with, so I can somewhat 'hide' my mistakes and then when I'm satisfied, I take another break and start the quilting process when I'm ready. It also gives me an opportunity to approach the quilting with a fresh brain and battery so I can push through to the end.
Old 07-07-2023, 02:10 AM

My Pounce and Best Press should be delivered today! I have a stipple pattern to try. Thanks for the info, all.
Old 07-08-2023, 06:41 AM

LindaShipper, I don't mark my quilts often but I do mark when making them from time to time. I like the pens that erase with heat too. Just ordered a bunch of white pens from Amazon. Fairly cheap too. I tried them out on navy fabric, took the iron to them and it erased just fine. Just checked the fabric again after a couple days and still gone so I'm happy with them.

Heat Erasable Fabric White Marking Pens with 20 Refills for Tailors Sewing and Quilting Dressmaking, White Heat Erase Pens of Fabrics.
Old 07-08-2023, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
LindaShipper, I don't mark my quilts often but I do mark when making them from time to time. I like the pens that erase with heat too. Just ordered a bunch of white pens from Amazon. Fairly cheap too. I tried them out on navy fabric, took the iron to them and it erased just fine. Just checked the fabric again after a couple days and still gone so I'm happy with them.

Heat Erasable Fabric White Marking Pens with 20 Refills for Tailors Sewing and Quilting Dressmaking, White Heat Erase Pens of Fabrics.
With heat erasable pens, I think you want to test what happens if it gets cold. So you might test by placing in the freezer. You might also test by washing, then placing in freezer.
Old 07-09-2023, 03:31 AM

Yes, I read somewhere that heat-erasable marks show up again when cold, which makes me wary.
Old 07-09-2023, 03:53 AM

That's one reason why I normally only mark my quilts in the seams and not on top as I've heard horror stories that the marks come back. My marks are on the back side of the fabric or in the seam area so should never show ever.I'm just glad I found a white marking pen for the dark fabrics though.
Old 07-11-2023, 08:40 PM

I use stencils and Crayola Fine Line Ultra-Clean Washable Markers! The lines all wash out! I will use a white chalk marker on darker fabrics. I put a free motion quilting foot on my Brother 1500 and enjoy following the lines. If I go off the line a time or two, that is okay! Once it is washed, no one can see the small errors! I use Superior Thread Mono Poly Invisible Thread, except on my borders when I want the design to show.
Old 07-12-2023, 02:55 AM

I'm 2/3 done FMQ quilting this quilt. Pounce not great, and messy. So, I remarked with marker and stencil, which I like better. First of all, repeatedly marking the pattern created muscle memory! This is my first all over design quilting with my new sit down longarm. Now I need arm muscles. I tense up, but relax when I catch myself.
Old 07-12-2023, 11:23 AM

I do not mark most of my quilts as I normally quilt in sections and then piece the sections together with strips and corner blocks. I use my heavy duty Singer with an embroidery frame that I bought for Momma many years ago and she used it for years for her handwork from hand quilting to regular embroidery. It does roll for lightweight quilt sections if needed. Mine is made of wood.
Old 07-12-2023, 04:40 PM

i saw a post where someone marked a general line of where they wanted their fmq to meander to.... not every line and curl, more a general line to follow along with your quilting, so you didn't end up in corner with no way out... I forget who posted it here, but it was years ago....