Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who says there's no reason to pre-wash? >

Who says there's no reason to pre-wash?

Who says there's no reason to pre-wash?

Old 05-12-2011, 01:04 PM

I use to pre-wash until I had a hard time rotary cutting all of the fabric.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:33 PM

I never use hot water to wash any quilts, only cold & no I don't prewash
Old 05-12-2011, 04:06 PM

I use cold water
Old 05-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

I soak the fabrics in kettles or a sink - Then I spin them out in the washer to get rid of some of the water. I feel that the agitation is what roughs up fabric.

By the way - I have measured hundreds of yards of fabric before and after soaking/washing - SOME LQS fabrics shrink as much or more than SOME of the fabrics I've purchased at WalMart.

A very specific example: A Michael Miller solid black - has shrunk two to three inches in width - and these pieces were from three different bolts.

An RJR very dark navy blue - purchased from the same LQS and treated the same way as the last Michael Miller black - stayed the same size - I think it actually stretched about 1/8 inch.

Another example: A Roc-Lon tea-dyed muslin said "pre-shrunk" on the end of the bolt. That shrunk a lot more than anything else I've measured and washed. It also was "nicer" after being tightened up.

I"m not comfortable using something that shrinks two to three inches with something that does not shrink at all. And I'm not smart enough to be able to tell just by looking at a fabric what it will do.

I also feel that fabric that needs to be treated with Retayne or Synthropol is defective and not finished properly. A bit like buying a car without the protective finish applied.

One of the things I am truly paranoid about is the use of bleach.

But do - or don't do - whatever works for you.

I said I wasn't going to write about this topic again - oops. Couldn't resist.

By the way - I've already seen Scissor Queen's postings that Harriet Hargrave does not think you need to prewash

That does not work for ME or the quilts I make!
Old 05-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Power Poster

The point of this thread when I started it was to share how much a fabric can shrink ... and I even said, I was OK with what had happened to this fabric and that I was still going to use it pre-washed.

One inch shrinkage in 15 inches of fabric is a LOT of shrinkage .... and if it were mixed in with another fabric that only shrunk one inch in 40 ... and neither had been pre washed. Well, that could make an interesting variably wrinkly result. Some will be happy and will like it.

In the end, we'll each do what we choose to do ... for our own reasons ... and what is right for ourselves individually.

I accept that some do not, will not and are not interested in pre-washing and also, that others have the extreme opposite opinion. Some will take the middle road on this issue.

I respect each for they decisions and choices. If we can have a respectful discussion about these, then we can all learn and benefit by understanding the other's stance.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:27 PM

I always pre-wash & was taught that from the beginning.... I use a lot of red fabric (I donate quilts to the Red Cross) & would hate to see all the whites turn pink after the first wash
Old 05-12-2011, 08:45 PM

Unless it is a garment, I do not prewash especially not with hot water. If you're looking for a faded affect have at it, I chose the color as is and do what I can to preserve it. Color fasting wash- 1 cup salt, 1 cup vinegar, full load worth of mild laundry soap and a full load of water cold to luke warm- color fasts 10 yards worth of fabric
Old 05-13-2011, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
I thought I read in one of the stack & whack books - that you shouldn't wash the fabric before hand - I think the reason was that washing sometimes warped the fabric so it as harder to cut the stacks correctly.

Will have to reread that part of the book
That is what I remember also!! I've done both ways. I figure if all my fabric is unwashed, it will shrink together. Specially an obw where you don't mix fabrics.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by wraez
Been thinking of buying Dharma Co.s version of Synthropol and Retayne but not happy how high the shipping cost was.
Have you called around local quilt shops to see if they carry it? Also check out Amazon (especially if you have a Prime membership).
Old 05-13-2011, 07:24 AM

I always prewash but I know others that don't so whatever anyone wants.