Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: Who says there's no reason to pre-wash?

Blog Entries
    There seems to be alot of ideas about W or NW material. if you still get that wonderful crinkled look with washed fabric it's because the batting shrinks a little when washed, not the fabric! i like the crinkled look and the smooth look!It's all good!

I prewash. I dont want to take a chance on colors fading.
    Even then, I use color catchers both when I wash the fabric and again when I wash the project.

IMHO one should be consistent. If you wash the fabric and are using cotton batting, you should also wash the batting.

Quote Originally Posted by M.I.Late
    I know it's crazy - but I also pre-wash my batting. I don't like the wrinkled look, so I pre-wash everything. I like it to look newer as long as possible.
    I pre wash my batting for the same reason. I also don't want to find any bedbugs imported with my fabrics so I prewash everything. I do have a huge basket of scraps that are mixed washed and not washed that I am making a pinwheel quilt out of. I don't really care if it shrinks evenly or not when I do wash it because it is just for making an extra lap quilt for myself.

I prewash my batting, too. I don't want it to shrink after its quilted. Good thought about the bed bugs. I didn't think of that!

Quote Originally Posted by watson's mom
    Quote Originally Posted by M.I.Late
    I know it's crazy - but I also pre-wash my batting. I don't like the wrinkled look, so I pre-wash everything. I like it to look newer as long as possible.
    I pre wash my batting for the same reason. I also don't want to find any bedbugs imported with my fabrics so I prewash everything. I do have a huge basket of scraps that are mixed washed and not washed that I am making a pinwheel quilt out of. I don't really care if it shrinks evenly or not when I do wash it because it is just for making an extra lap quilt for myself.

I just realized thi after reading our post on this topic! Clothing manufacturers NEVER EVER pre-wash fabric (unless they are making some types of jeans)! So why should I do it? Saves time and water and electricity too. Just tell yourself you are being eco-friendly! LOL
    Julie

Power Poster
    This is a thread posted by someone using MODA precuts that had trouble with shrinkage after washing.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-122929-1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinlee
    ohhhhhhhhh.........as a past 4-Her, being taught to pre-wash fabric before making clothing and whatever else, didn't change for me when I started quilting. Old habits are hard to change.
    ^^^5's from a Canadian past 4-H'er :thumbup:

Any others here with green blood? :) :
    I have green blood!!! My mother was a 4-H leader and I spent many summers at 4-H camp. My first sewing projects were made for the 4-H fairs.....w-a-y back when!!

I pre-wash my fabrics. It has been hardwired into my brain by years of sewing clothes

:D

Quote Originally Posted by luvstitches
    I love the look of my quilts after it's been washed for the first time. (no pre-washing fabric)
    Me too! I never prewash and have never had a problem with my fabrics. Guess its because I don't use HOT water to wash anything in. Save money on starch as well. I like the sizing that is in the fabric to start with. Don't understand the need to remove it and then put it back.

Cabbagepatchkid, I am the same way. It was drilled into our heads in school....
    I always prewash (except for charm packs and such) the reason is the fading and shrinking. I always get more fabric than I need.
    I was not going to wash on a batik and decided I would by hand and oh the dye that came out. I would have ruined the whole quilt....
    Do as you wish but I prewash...

From Baltimore, currently live in Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for passing that on!

I once made some place mats as a house warming gift for a dear friend. To my horror some of the colors ran. I've prewashed everything ever since then using hot water and Synthrapol,(a dye fixative used by hand dyers. Wouldn't dream of doing differently. Recently I've taken up starchig if there are to be any bias cuts. My triangles now come out with points when pieced!

Blog Entries
    Actually, Synthrapol is not a dye fixative. It merely suspends dye particles that come loose from fabric in water so they can be rinsed away instead of settling into other fabrics.

Retayne is a dye fixative.

Blog Entries
    I would prewash solids such as reds, purples, or any dark colors due to the colors running.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SherriB
    I love the wrinkly and shrunk look I get from not prewashing. But I read in one of my new quilt books that the author gets a very wrinkly look by pre-washing the fabric and using 100% cotton batting. When it is washed and dried, it is very antique looking, she said. I may give it a try and see what kind of look I get.
    I always pre-wash my fabric! I use 100% cotton batting (not pre-washed). After the final wash-the quilt takes on an "heirloom-antique" look which I love. I also LOVE that it hides a multitude of "mistakes!"

I'm the one that washes all fabric in hot water. To add to the mix are the panels that are being made. They do shrink and some really bad. They come out of shape and totally out of square. If you thing I'm going to sew these into a blanket, then wash it, either I'm crazy or I need to be put away.

Quote Originally Posted by catray
    I'm the one that washes all fabric in hot water. To add to the mix are the panels that are being made. They do shrink and some really bad. They come out of shape and totally out of square. If you thing I'm going to sew these into a blanket, then wash it, either I'm crazy or I need to be put away.
    Not to worry CatRay ... you are not the only one to do so!
    I'm another who believes in the abuse in advance of my toil, to know what will happen later ... and worse case scenario, abandon the sewing ship before it sails into disaster!!! :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by catray
    If the panels are not washed and quilted within reason, they will not shrink in the same way that unquilted fabric shrinks. Batting is what really controls shrinkage. If the batting doesn't shrink, it will prevent the fabric that is quilted to it from shrinking.

I agree that I would not put into a quilt a panel that has been prewashed and shrunk into distortion.

Check out article in Quilter's Home mag. Under articles on the great quilt debate. Good reason to prewash.

dawsondelights
    I never pre wash my fabrics not even the Batiks.I like the look of the quilt much better after I am finished & I use color catchers for Batiks & other possible bleeding fabrics.The quilt takes on the antique look.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6