Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who says there's no reason to pre-wash? >

Who says there's no reason to pre-wash?

Who says there's no reason to pre-wash?

Old 05-12-2011, 08:06 AM

Exactly my point! Thanks.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:06 AM

I have never prewashed - maybe I should hmmm....
Old 05-12-2011, 08:07 AM

Pre-rinsing fabric protects YOU the quiltmaker who will spend a lot of time piecing, appliquéing and hand or machine quilting before the quilt is finished. Pat

Originally Posted by Mattee
ditto.

I never prewash fabric for a baby quilt, but I always wash the quilt.

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by patcummings
My messages seem to keep disappearing for some reason. My answer to the question: "Should we give babies unwashed quilts" is "No." Fabrics used in baby quilts should be rinsed in the washing machine in hot water before use. This dissolves any potential formaldehyde that is used as a finishing agent in *some* fabrics by manufacturers. Patricia Lynne Grace Cummings
If you wash the quilt you don't need to pre-wash the fabric.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:10 AM

I usually prewash my fabrics. Reds and very dark colors are especially bad about colors running in the wash. Shrinkage is not such a big deal with me; but I do panic when I seen a color faded onto the light colors. That said, I just finished a redwork quilt top. When I put the blocks together, I spritzed them with Mary's Ellen's Best Press as I pressed the top. The red embroidery thread ran on two of the blocks before I realized what was going on. Next time I am going to dip the finished blocks in a vinegar water to set the color before I press them. Live and learn.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:14 AM

I almost always prewash, a carry over from days of sewing garments. My concern of not prewashing is unequal shrinkage. If you are using a collection of fabric, this may not be an issue, but if you are using fabrics from different groups and different manufacturers, there is a major difference in the amount of shrinkage. I have come across an issue with a pattern, that was obviously designed for not preshrinking. The pattern was for the collection I was using and required 3 WOF in the top. After preshrinking, my WOF was nearly 2" shorter than the quilt top called for. I was able to piece the strips fairly easily, but it sure convinced me of the need to prewash my fabric.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Barbie
I usually prewash my fabrics. Reds and very dark colors are especially bad about colors running in the wash. Shrinkage is not such a big deal with me; but I do panic when I seen a color faded onto the light colors. That said, I just finished a redwork quilt top. When I put the blocks together, I spritzed them with Mary's Ellen's Best Press as I pressed the top. The red embroidery thread ran on two of the blocks before I realized what was going on. Next time I am going to dip the finished blocks in a vinegar water to set the color before I press them. Live and learn.
Hi! I accidentally spritzed some Mary Ellen's Best Press onto some calligraphy done with Pigma Pen, heat set inks, and the color ran also. They do not divulge what is in the bottle. I have no idea why it makes colors run. I absolutely love how the spray works to restore body after washing fabric but that aspect (running colors) is something I'll have to be more careful about. Pat
Old 05-12-2011, 08:43 AM

What about pre-swishing the red embroidery floss in a warm water and or a cold vinegar bath? First I heard that would work to set the colors with the vinegar and then had someone say that it won't work. While I have soaked the floss before I have not done the vinegar bath. Hope your floss wasn't DMC because that is not supposed to run.
Originally Posted by Barbie
:? :?
Old 05-12-2011, 08:51 AM

Thisi s one of the TRUE quilting 'contreoversies"! i used to pre-wash. Got plain tired of it. Besides any number of super quilters I know personally would never ever pre-wash. So far fpr me, sop good.

And yes, I like that slightly 'puckery' look. When you cut a 6" sq from a 45" wide x 36" long piece -- the shrinkage actually can be miminal.

Just my take on this....
JUlie
Old 05-12-2011, 08:59 AM

I pre wash my fabric.....one never knows what MAY BE ON THEIR product /fabric
I iron & spray starch prior to cutting...
don't want BUGS !
Old 05-12-2011, 09:01 AM

This reminds me of the old toilet paper argument...roll off the front or the back? LOL I really don't think there's right or wrong...just whatever works for you.

Jody

p.s. my toilet paper rolls off the top to the front. :)