Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who is using decorative stitches? >

Who is using decorative stitches?

Who is using decorative stitches?

Old 07-22-2019, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bobbinalong View Post
I often use them for small gifts like covered notebooks, drawstring bags, zippy pouches etc. A line or two of fancy stitching in a matching colour thread is all you need to make something look a million dollars (why do we Brits not say a million pounds I wonder?)

My young grandson likes using all of them on almost everything he sews !!
My Janone Magnolia 7330 has very few decorative stitches (it doesn't even have the simple serpentine stitch) & I wish it had more. I agree with Bobinalong that they are great for small gifts to give them a little pizazz. I've seen them used in quilting and along the binding also that puts a neat finish on a quilt. I've used decorative stitches on the cuff of pillow cases also.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:00 PM

Honestly I don't really use any of the built in stitches except zig zag, occasional buttonholes, and blanket stitch on quilt binding on my Pfaff Ambition. That one is almost always set up for fmq and I use use my Singer 301 for piecing.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:27 PM
Power Poster

Oh I completely forgot about the blanket stitch. I do use that quite a bit when doing fusible applique. My machine doesn't have a serpantine stitch. It does have a meander (stipple) stitch that I used once or twice as a back fill on a small wallhanging.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

The two straight stitch only machines I use all the time doesn't have any fancy stitches. Those machines are put away.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
I use my serpentine stitch a lot to quilt my donation quilts. I have used several other of the stitches from time to time for decoration.
What is the Serpentine stitch? I don't know if my machine has it or not . It's a Pfaff QE 4.2 .
Old 07-22-2019, 03:35 PM

I like to play with the limited decorative stitches I have. Sometimes they look nice on appliqué or just trimming a small project with them. I wouldn't need more than I have though.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:51 PM

Since getting my quantum 9960 w/ over 600 stitches I have tried to make a point of using them more, I have done both for actual quilting and top stitching. Let me see if I can find some pics

[ATTACH=CONFIG]615097[/ATTACH]
I even got to use my Russian alphabet to personalize this quilt, I wrote his name in English and Russian since his ansestery is Russian, and since it was for a little boy I also used the car shapes for the extra blocks. This was through all layers so technically quilting

[ATTACH=CONFIG]615098[/ATTACH]
I completely encircled all 24, 24 blade dressies in this quilt w/ the snowflake stitch on my machine, the outer edges are done in blue thread and the inner in silver, the inner one is harder to see, but this was the majority of the quilting of this quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]615099[/ATTACH]
This is a memorial (remembrance) wall hanging I made for my husband from his father's shirt. It has the outer circle completely stitched w/ a fancy stitch (quilted) and the inner circle is the alphabet.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0206-2-.jpg   dsc_1371.jpg   dsc_1340e.jpg  
Old 07-22-2019, 03:54 PM

I have approximately 600 decorative stitches on my machine (who in the world could use a fraction of those?) but I’ve only used a handful. That said, the ones I’ve used I’ve enjoyed very much and found them to be the perfect touch when needed. I applique so I’d be lost without he blanket stitch, I’ve used the lettering stitch and a handful of decorative stitches for quilting and putting on binding. I made a cute table runner with flowers and leaves but no stem. It looked kind of dumb without a stem so I used a tiny vine decorative stitch and that brought it altogether.

I’m pretty new to quilting so I don’t know enough yet to not be adventurous.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:33 PM

I use them for binding and I've used them with reverse applique like this one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]615102[/ATTACH]

Watson
Attached Thumbnails entry2small.jpg  
Old 07-22-2019, 04:36 PM

I very occasionally use a decorative stitch to do the quilting, but it Is rare for me to use them.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-22-2019 at 04:46 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps