Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Whole Cloth Quilt

  1. #1
    Super Member CarolinePaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Suffolk, UK
    Posts
    2,697
    Hi Guys,

    Just wanted so help on this.....

    Where or where do I find fabric big enough to make these - and if I wanted to make a white one could I just use good quality high count cotton sheets?

    Hugs

    Caroline

  2. #2
    Super Member sewcrafty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,955
    You could use 108 or 120" backing cloth. You really don't want to use high thread count sheets. Will be extremely hard to hand quilt. Actually go with the lower thread count sheets.

  3. #3
    Super Member CarolinePaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Suffolk, UK
    Posts
    2,697
    Thanks Sewcrafty!

    Hugs

    Caroline

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    166
    I got several yards of nice quility cotton muslin from Hancocks that is 108" wide for the whole cloth quilt I made and it was very nice to quilt and looks very good once quilted. If you don't want to use muslin, they have some very nice cotton fabrics that are 108" wide also.
    Just a side note, when you make a whole cloth quilt, you sure do get a lot of satisfaction from what you have done.
    Good luck with it.

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,345
    Caroline,
    I also think muslin is a good choice! For me it is always very hard to get fabrics 108" wide in the quality or color I want to have. Therefore I mostly take the "normal" wide fabric (44-45") and sew several length together. When the seams are crossed by many quilting lines you almost won't see it anymore.
    One important thing: never do a seam in the middle of the top - a full length in the middle is much better.

  6. #6
    Power Poster Ninnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Athens Ga
    Posts
    11,448
    HI, you can also buy them already marked. one piece and no seams.Here is one link where you an find thelm
    http://quiltingstencils.com/index.aspx

  7. #7
    Super Member Rebecca VLQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,490
    Wow. Love those!

  8. #8
    Senior Member Hinterland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    945
    If you're handquilting you might want to make test sandwiches and make sure you're comfortable with your choice of fabric, batting and backing. That's a lot of stitching to do if you find the going tough.

    Janet

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sturbridge, Ma
    Posts
    4,014
    There are lots of options in wide backing but be sure it needles good. a company SewBatik has some wonderful batiks in a softer fabric and hand quilts really well. However, if you want muslin look or bleached then the wide muslin is also good It appears that the wider fabric is always easier to hand quilt than the same patterns in 45"

    Thank you to the one who mentioned The Stencil Co. I designed the preprinted wholecloth they sell.

  10. #10
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    29,859
    I use any size fabric I can't bare to cut up and just put borders on it until I get to the size I want. I always machine quilt so pressed open seams are not a problem.

  11. #11
    Senior Member crashnquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lebanon, Missouri
    Posts
    607
    I have ordered 3 pre-printed wholecloth from The Stencil Co. and was extremely pleased with each. So, if you really don't want to mark your own, that is one way to go.

    If you do think of using a bed sheet, don't use above a 200 thread count. Standard quilting cotton is around 200 thread count. Anything above that will be like trying to quilt thru wood.

    Holice, you do absolutly gorgeous work! I've watched your show on QuiltersTV about binding. Now I LOVE getting that perfect mitered corner every time.

  12. #12
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    Thank you to the one who mentioned The Stencil Co. I designed the preprinted wholecloth they sell.
    Holice...is it possbile that I saw you in the quilters tv program regarding wholecloths?

    :lol:

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central Fl
    Posts
    54
    Am planning a whole cloth quilt and was thinking of buying the Kona premium muslin 108." It is a much firmer weave than some of the less expensive ones. Am looking for opinions on the best muslin brand to use to hand quilt a whole cloth.

  14. #14
    Super Member shaverg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    Caroline,
    I also think muslin is a good choice! For me it is always very hard to get fabrics 108" wide in the quality or color I want to have. Therefore I mostly take the "normal" wide fabric (44-45") and sew several length together. When the seams are crossed by many quilting lines you almost won't see it anymore.
    One important thing: never do a seam in the middle of the top - a full length in the middle is much better.
    This is also how I made my top.

  15. #15
    Power Poster Ninnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Athens Ga
    Posts
    11,448
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    There are lots of options in wide backing but be sure it needles good. a company SewBatik has some wonderful batiks in a softer fabric and hand quilts really well. However, if you want muslin look or bleached then the wide muslin is also good It appears that the wider fabric is always easier to hand quilt than the same patterns in 45"

    Thank you to the one who mentioned The Stencil Co. I designed the preprinted wholecloth they sell.
    you are so welcome. I am addicted to collecting stencils for hand quilting, and this is one of my favorite sites.

  16. #16
    Super Member CarolinePaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Suffolk, UK
    Posts
    2,697
    HI All,

    I have never hand quilted or used a stencil (always machine quilted in ditch or just freestyle)... so any help, advice or where to find a tute would be great!

    Hugs

    Caroline

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sturbridge, Ma
    Posts
    4,014
    Yes, I have been on a number of the internet shows. QNN and most recently QuiltersTV I believe it was on the QNN shows that I did the one on wholecloth.

  18. #18
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,956
    Hancock Fabrics has their 120 inch wide backing on sale now for $5.00 a yard. What a buy.

  19. #19
    Power Poster Ninnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Athens Ga
    Posts
    11,448
    here are some leads on videos that can help you

    http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-...ing++tutorials

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinePaj
    Hi Guys,

    Just wanted so help on this.....

    Where or where do I find fabric big enough to make these - and if I wanted to make a white one could I just use good quality high count cotton sheets?

    Hugs

    Caroline
    I love doing whole cloth quilts and wouldn't use sheets for a whole cloth. I also want to caution you (speaking from experience) not to use a "cheap" muslin. Buy your fabric based on the quality of the fabric not the cost!! I'm paying for this mistake on a (pieced) piece that has been giving me grief for months!! Still trying to figure out what to do without having to "rip".

  21. #21
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen 1
    I love doing whole cloth quilts and wouldn't use sheets for a whole cloth. I also want to caution you (speaking from experience) not to use a "cheap" muslin. Buy your fabric based on the quality of the fabric not the cost!! I'm paying for this mistake on a (pieced) piece that has been giving me grief for months!! Still trying to figure out what to do without having to "rip".
    What kind of fabric do you like most for wholecloths exept a high quality muslin? Any special brands? I'm just asking out of curiosity...

  22. #22
    Lyn
    Lyn is offline
    Senior Member Lyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    344
    okay along these lines, I have a whole cloth quilt. I machine quilt and wonder what is the best way to start and stop the lines? I took a small back stitch and it looked crummy. Do I have to tie each end? What a pain. Any help would be appreciated.

  23. #23
    Super Member mpspeedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rural Maryland
    Posts
    1,566
    Holice, I congratulate you on your work. I have made at least a dozen of the wholecloth quilts in various sizes from the Stencil Company. I always make sure to visit their booth at any quilt show I attend. They also have a wonderful selection of quilting stencils.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    334
    I use the ordinary store brand sheets from Wal-Mart for top and bottom layers of quilts and have never had a problem.

  25. #25
    Senior Member vjengels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    892
    Oh Ninnie,
    I saw the most beautiful whole cloth Batiks at the Rocky Mtn Sewing festival this past February. I went to the Quilt show this past weekend hoping to find that vendor there, no such luck.
    A whole cloth is on my wish list for sure!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.