Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Whole cloth quilt tops? >

Whole cloth quilt tops?

Whole cloth quilt tops?

Old 06-14-2011, 03:22 AM

My goal is to do a wholecloth quilt at some point. I'm trying to decide if I want to do a bed size or maybe just start with a crib size. Time will tell. Saw one at our quilt show done in varigated thread. Don't know if I like that or not.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:39 AM

For those of you who would like to try your hand at wholecloth quilting, try doing it on a preprinted panel. Sandwhich it and then stitch around all of the designs in the piece. By the time you are finished it will look like you did a magnificant job piecing and or appliquing and you will have mastered handquilting. I have made over a hundered of them over the years as wallhangings, tablerunners, bags, pillows etc. etc. It is a great way to practice. After a couple of those projects you will know if this is for you. I personally prefer quilting on wholecloth above all other methods. No seams or appliques to deal with just continious soothing stitching.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:55 AM

Thank you so much for the info. I want to quilt like her when I grow up. I would love to just sit and watch her quilt for a day.
Such beautiful work.
Robin in TX

And there's no reason you can draw or doodle your own design.
I've seen some Zentangles that scream to be made in to whole cloth quilts. To me anyway. ;-)

Pippa has a great blog and a fabulous collection of Welsh quilts.
http://welshquilts.blogspot.com/

Also, there was a really good book that came out a few years ago on Welsh quilts.
http://www.amazon.com/Making-Welsh-Q...7983530&sr=8-1[/quote]
Old 06-14-2011, 05:44 AM

Joanie Zeier Poole has written some excellent books which can help with you design and make wholecloth quilts. I took a class from her and made the Ivy Wreath quilt. I took a picture of the design in a carpet and made the other quilt from that design. Both quilts are under 18" square. You draw the design with washout pen, stitch the designs, and then microstipple the background. I have about 13 hours in the Ivy Wreath quilt and 17 hours in the one I designed. These are machine stitched. I used Robert Kaufman fabric, Radiance, which is a silk/cotton blend and very yummy in 52 colors. I used YLI #100 silk thread.

Joanie Zeier Poole http://www.heirloomquiltingdesigns.com/

Ivy Wreath - Joanie Zeier Poole design
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211317[/ATTACH]

My design from the pattern in a carpet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211318[/ATTACH]

Closeup of carpet design
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211324[/ATTACH]

Closeup of Ivy Wreath
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211330[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-211311.jpe   attachment-211312.jpe   attachment-211318.jpe   attachment-211324.jpe  
Old 06-14-2011, 05:50 AM
MTS
Banned

@Jane -
Those are gorgeous!! Thanks for posting the pics.

And you bring up an interesting point, as most of the conversation in this thread has been about hand quilted whole cloths, when beautiful work is being done by the machine quilters as well.

I think the first winner of the $100,000 quilt challenge was a wholecloth, iirc.

Found a pic (not a great one):
http://www.gammill.net/index.php?m=what_is_new&r=36
Old 06-14-2011, 06:55 AM

I hope I'm not pulling the thread off subject. Obviously as shown in the beautiful pictures there are some very talented and experienced hand quilters. Are there any hints you can give the beginner, things to avoid, etc. I have done a search and saw a warning to use polyester, is this true?
Old 06-14-2011, 07:09 AM
Banned

Emma S. It appears something is missing from your last sentence. What is the warning about polyester - thread or batting or fabric? There has been a lot of posts about hand quilting. You might want to start a new post with your question as it will probably get lost in this one.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:18 AM

I prefer poly batting as it is easier on the hands when handquilting and gives the quilting a lot of dimension plus it is lighter weight which puts less stress on hands and arms if you are working on a smaller piece in a handheld frame. The only more prefered batting is silk and that is definately out of my price range.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:37 AM

I used wool batting with the small wholecloth quilts posted above. I hear it is good for hand quilting, also. It has great trapunto effects without doing trapunto!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:51 AM

I use Mountain Mist Quilt Lite for all of my hand quilting. The needle just goes through so much easier. I've tried my hand on warm and natural and other cotton or cotton blends, and I can only go a few inches before my hand cramps up. Never does on MMQL.