Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Whole Cloth Quilts - with a twist? >

Whole Cloth Quilts - with a twist?

Whole Cloth Quilts - with a twist?

Old 07-29-2011, 07:39 PM

I did the queen sized one myself from a stencil, but the two king sized ones I bought pre-printed from The Stencil Company (I think it's Holice on this Board, in fact). There are three designs in King size, and a bunch in mini or single block pre-printed.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:26 PM

Hi KyKat,
I almost always use a different (but matching in colors) fabric for the backings of my quilts. Of course the top is a solid, for the back I love to use a printed fabric, especially flower patterns. As a thread color I also did both: tone in tone or contrasting. You can do everything!

There is just one thing I would consider: When you use a dark colored thread on a light fabric the buried nots can sometimes be seen through the fabric. You have to hide them quite deep in the batting. Also a light colored top can have a kind of sober look when you use a dark backing because it shines through a little. But this is also a matter of batting you use. Some battings a very dense and the colors are not so visible.
Happy Quilting!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-233581.jpe   attachment-233582.jpe  
Old 07-30-2011, 01:46 PM

borntohandquilt, your quilts are gorgeous. Thanks for the pictures. That's idea No. 5 to consider. I'm also intrigued by the way you finish your edges - you don't bind, it looks as if you turn both the top and backing into the inside and hem them. These quilts are beautiful. My pre-printed top is natural. I might look for printed fabric that looks good with that.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by KyKat
I'm also intrigued by the way you finish your edges - you don't bind, it looks as if you turn both the top and backing into the inside and hem them.
You are right - this kind of finishing the edges is called "knife edge". It's the traditional way to close Welsh and North Country wholecloths from UK. The last row of stitching is on the outer edge is a simple running stitch. You can also use a whipstitch but I like it like this.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:37 PM

This is the pattern for the WC that I will be doing. (90" x 108" ) It's fairly intricate. Going to be a lot of work, but I'm looking forward to it when I figure out exactly what I'm going to do. That's half the fun - the planning. :-)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-234631.jpe