Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wholesale fabric >

Wholesale fabric

Wholesale fabric

Old 01-07-2012, 10:01 AM

Default Wholesale fabric

For those of you who sell your quilts or other products, where do you buy your fabric? I'm thinking about making baby/children items and selling them. Also, my husband and I are both retired and he has a consulting business, so we already have a business ID number.could I use that number or would I need a separate one?
Old 01-07-2012, 10:10 AM

I don't know about the laws in your state, so I can't really tell you if it would be ok to use the same ID#.

As far as wholesale fabric distributors, the only one I personally know about is Golden d'Or in Dallas. I have only purchased retail from them so far, but know they also have a wholesale side.

Do not know what their criteria for wholesale would be regarding volume, etc. I do feel sure that you would need to buy a whole bolt of any fabric you purchased. Whether you would have to have a certain # of bolts per order or a minimum opening order or a certain $ figure per month/quarter/year, I couldn't tell you.

I'm sure others on here will know more about this than I do.

Good luck in your endeavor!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:16 AM

I think fabric depot will give a wholesale price on full bolts (35-40% off). That's an easy way to go without dealing with ID's.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

When I was at Marshall's Dry Goods Wholesale last week there were quilt shop owners there. I watched quilt shop owners from east Tx, two from Missouri and one from OK. They were buying bolts of quilt shop quality fabric for $2.46 to $3.50 a yard. It was name brand, most all the brands but Moda. They were filling up loading carts full. All of them bought bolts of Quilter's Blenders. There was one selection of bolts for $1.95 a yard. Mostly small scale floral. All the Robert Koffman solid black was sold out. You can buy by the bolt without a business number or tax id. You do have to pay sales tax per bolt.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:46 PM

It's a good thing I don't live near Marshall's Dry Goods Wholesale...
Old 01-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Banned

For most companies to deal wholesale with them you need a tax ID #. To have this (and I know it's different for each state) but you have tax reports to file each quarter or each year. And no you most likely can't use your DH's number unless it is the same type business and is going to be reported on his taxes and his reports.

Also to buy wholesale you usually need to buy the whole bolt.

So think about how much you will be buying, if you will be using the entire bolt, and want to deal with the tax reporting.
There are times when paying retail isn't so bad. Unless you have a full fledged business.

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie
Quilter's Pantry
Old 01-07-2012, 07:44 PM

Where is Marshall's Dry Goods located?
Old 01-07-2012, 07:47 PM

Marshalls is located in Batesville, Arkansas
Old 01-07-2012, 07:51 PM

Marshall's is in Batesville, Arkansas. I was there a couple of years ago and it's like walking into quilter's heaven. Phenomenal prices! I bought some batiks for $2.99 a yard. I also bought a lot of fabric at $2 per yard. It was all quality 100% cotton and I'm still using it. We were on vacation and had to completely unload my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I layed the fabric out on the floor then packed the suitcases on top. The fabric covered the entire back floor and was 8" deep. I'd only spent $298. I'm planning on going back this year. It's worth planning a vacation around.