Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who's using a serger >

Who's using a serger

Who's using a serger

Old 03-13-2023, 08:32 PM

Default Who's using a serger

Who's using a serger to assemble their quilts. Been watching some Utube blogs and there seem's to be a lot of people using a serger for the assembly of the quilt. Was wondering how many on this platform are using a serger and if your using it for assembly and finishing
Old 03-14-2023, 04:35 AM

Not me. I can't imagine getting an accurate 1/4" seam. There's extra thread build-up in the seams. And sometimes I like to press my seams open and can't with a serged seam.
Old 03-14-2023, 06:43 AM

I did a project that used the serger to make a fleece quilt. It was fun and the fleece quilt being double layered was super warm. It was sort of like a quilt as you go project so I was serging over 4 layers of fleece at times. I did this with a friend. We got some heavier weight DMC pearl cotton to put in the loopers to make a decorative edge at the end. Wooly nylon would also work.
Old 03-14-2023, 02:20 PM

Years ago, I took a class to make a serger quilt. It was made of strips--5 or 6 inches wide, I think. I know I used the wrong kind of batting because the seams were super thick. I was not impressed with the whole production and have never used the quilt.

However, I have used a serger to sew around a quilt sandwich before binding.
Old 03-14-2023, 05:25 PM

I once got a charity quilt to longarm for my sewing group. It was pieced with a serger, and although it was pressed, it's seams really showed up.
Old 03-15-2023, 04:51 AM

I've made many quilts using a serger and love it. It give me an exact 1/4" seam and if I want to be picky I can adjust the knife position and get a scant 1/4". What machine I use depends a lot on how I'm going to quilt it.
Old 03-15-2023, 05:53 AM
mkc

Danilaret's post above is spam (reported). Do not click on the link in the post!