Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why am I doing this?

Blog Entries
    crashnquilt said it very well I am bothered by some allergys and my doctor told me to not even store unwashed fabric in my house the formaldehyde is very bad stuff she also said there was lots of other chemicals in it that I should not breathe I also wash my batting but do not agitate soak for 15 or 20 min.in warm water dry on delicate and I have never hada problem with it coming apart

Blog Entries
    I wash for shrikage and bleeding, but also for ... CRITTERS! Seriously, you don't know where your fabric has been from start to finish. Can't hurt ... and it sure can help.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

For those of you who pre-wash your fabric can you tell me what you do about the fabric fraying during the washing.

I am a very strong supporter for prewashing fabrics. This will not happen to most people but this is something I think we should all be much aware. Most woven fabrics have a finish that is applied before it is rolled onto a bolt. This is to prevent the fabric from rubbing holes into itself while on the bolt and being handled. It is also to prevent dirt and oils from hands discoloring the fabric in the stores. That finishing solution has a lot of formaldehyde in it. The formaldehyde prevents the fabric from attracting bugs, and kills any larvae that may still be in the threads. Formaldehyde can cause reactions in people, i.e. light coughing, running nose, stuffy nose, itchy eyes and in rare cases skin rashes. There are other more severe reactions but those are pretty rare. In my case, it is my eyes, actually more my eye lids. The scratching has caused all my eyelashes to come out, (i have actually scratched them out) and my eye lids are very swollen. I have to wash my eyes with baby shampoo 3 times a day (no makeup for me) then apply one drop of medicine in each eye, and apply an ointment to my lids.

.....so, I presume you have to wash all fabric you come in contact with i.e., clothing, linens, uphostered furniture, drapes, etc? Or does this process just apply to fabric on the bolt? Sorry to hear about this dreadful condition, hope it get better for you--how was it determined that this was the culprit of your allergic reaction????? Just curious.......good to know and this might help others........Be Well!!!!

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    The only fabric I usually prewash is flannel. Otherwise I wash the quilt when it's completely finished. If I'm worried about bleeding colors I use Retayne.

Blog Entries
    I like the crisp feel to the unwashed fabric. I only prewash red fabric if I suspect it will bleed. I've made lots of quilts and for all practical purposes, I don't prewash at all!!

I have to agree with Dodie and Crashnquilt. I also have this problem, and was told by the lady that manages the LQS many quilters have allergic reactions to fabrics, and the reason is the formaldehyde used in the process. The darker fabrics seem to be the ones that bother me the most, so those I do prewash. It only started to bother me when I was working on a black wallhanging, the pieces were so intricate that I had to work sitting on the floor and having the fabric on the coffee table right under my nose, and I had the lighting also close at hand, which intensified the chemicals, the fumes got under my glasses, once I started to rub my eyes, my nose was running like a tap, then I realised something was wrong. I saw my doctor, and he advised that this is common amongst sewers, and I should prewash the fabrics. I find just handling the fabric, and touching my eyes will cause a reaction if not prewashed, now I wear gloves when at the fabric store. I have leather furniture and keep sheep skins on the ones I use, and also utilize a water bed for sleeping. When we have to stay in hotels/motels we take our own bedding.
    Quilting People are the Best, Have a great sewing day!
    DonnaJ

I only pre-wash if I'm unsure of a fabric. The one thing I always do is to toss my batting in the dyer with a wet hand towel on the highest setting to get the wrinkles out. I've never had a fabric fade and cause any damage to a quilt nor have I had any quilt shrink in an unacceptable way. And I only buy quality fabric and always on sale. I hope this didn't sound too preachy.

I agree with Annaquilts. I quit washing fabric unless I really think I will have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by katesnanna View Post
    This subject has been discussed many times, here and elsewhere. I think we all need to accept there is no wrong or right way, just different ways. Do whichever suits you.
    What she said... I've asked many QS owners what they suggest. I've been told washing is not necessary these days. I did use a pink yesterday, actually. From my DMIL's old stash. I thought I had washed all her fabrics just to get them clean. This pink bleed into my ironing board when pressing..... I washed it all with color catchers. Those are really awesome. They came out pink pink pink. But the pieces I'd already sewn did not catch a bit of pink. So.... I wash when I question bleeding. Then wash my finished project w/color catchers.
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

I always wash fabrics. I buy fabric in a local fabric shop, at JoAnn's, at Wal-mart, at garage sales, at the thrift store etc. Since I am sure there could be a big difference in quality, this levels the field some. Also, I iron the fabric after drying, sometimes with a light spray of starch. Then when the mood strikes me, I am ready to sort through my stash and go to it.

I always wash my fabrics to get all dye that bleeds but also the chemicals they use make me itch and arms break out in a rash. I also have to wash clothing after buying them cause where ever the clothing come in contact with my skin also breaks out.

I wash all my fabrics due to allergies, the fabric usually smells of perfume and whatever is used to manufacture it. I have to wash new clothing for the same reasons.
    Last edited by purplefiend; 01-20-2013 at 08:09 PM. Reason: added text

I used to wash all my fabrics when I bought them but now I just wash flannel, reds or materials I am suspicious will shrink. After reading about the formaldehyde, I'm thinking I should wash all the fabrics again. I've talked with LQS owners and other more seasoned quilters and the answer is varied.
    Creativity is the essence of the soul
    Sandi

The only fabrics I was before quilting are the ones I know are imported and have to be fumigated before entry to the country. I have sensitive skin and don't want to itch.

I asked this question previously but did not receive any responses.....trying again. I have not been washing my fabrics before sewing as I do not like the fraying that occurs because of this step. For those of you who do pre-wash what do you do to prevent the fraying???????

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2