Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do I keep doing this? >

Why do I keep doing this?

Why do I keep doing this?

Old 06-01-2014, 07:30 PM

Color catchers work for me. Sometimes I pre-wash, other times not so usually there is a mixture of washed fabric in a quilt. I've never had things bleed into other fabric with color catchers.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
I am really sad about your unfortunate and preventable misfortune. Wash the quilt with Retaine following the instructions.

It is a good thing that there are solutions for all the people who don't wash fabric before using it in their quilts.
peace
Synthrapol. NOT Retayne.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:46 AM

I don't pre-wash fabric's. I always check to make sure the bolt board says pre-shrunk before purchasing any fabric.I figure if it's pre-shrunk it has also done any bleeding it's going to do. I wash every thing in cold water. About the only colors that worry me are those in the red family so I wash the finished quilt with an old white towel. So far the towel is still bright white. The only time I use dark solid colors in a quilt is if it is specifically requested.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:00 AM

Use color catchers, 2 or 3 the first time.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:14 AM

I also don't prewash my fabrics but I'll throw in a couple of color catchers on the 1st wash to a finished quilt. I'd rather it bleed on me than after its been given out as a gift then the receiver goes to wash it and it bleeds on them. One quilt bleed on me and I didn't catch it before I threw it into the dryer. Thought for sure it was ruined but someone here told me to go ahead and wash it again with another color catcher and it should come out. It did and I am so grateful for the person that told me to wash it again. Thank you whomever that was.

I have used solid black fabrics in a number of my quilts and have found them not to bleed as I would think they would. I have found Kona solids to bleed more than Moda solids so I tend to stick with Moda's fabrics.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:11 AM

I often do not prewash my fabrics just because I am too anxious to get started! Color catchers work well.