Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do my needles bend >

Why do my needles bend

Why do my needles bend

Old 07-15-2015, 11:02 PM

I really love piece makers needles but I wonder...how are you quilting? Are you pushing the needle straight down and pivoting on your finger? Or are you trying to load a needle by fishing it up and down through the fabric? Hand quilting is a little tricky. I took a workshop to learn, and it was only then that the books made sense. I suspect the problem is more technique than tool....

Aileen
Old 07-15-2015, 11:07 PM

Oh you're using embroidery thread!

Sashiko style quilting is a lot different. I love the Hiroshima needles for that too, and don't use a hoop. If you are trying to ha d quilt I the traditional way with those threads it's going to be so hard on your hands and your needles !
Old 08-23-2015, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
As said already...you should try the tulip brand...they are made of harder steel,in Japan..and really don't bend. I bend the other brands easily. Sewing through seam allowances will bend needles. If you lap quilt and fold the sandwich onto the needle,that helps also.
I sent for some Hiroshima Tulip betweens in size 10 and used them yesterday on a quilt I am hand quilting. They are wonderful. I wish I had known about them before. They are very sharp, so slick they glide through the fabric, and so hard I haven't bent it yet, even on seams. They seemed pricey, but so worth it.