Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 88

Thread: why do people do this??

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Halls Cross Roads, TN
    Posts
    944
    Blog Entries
    133

    why do people do this??

    This question is being asked because I finally finished my Balkan Puzzle block for Feb. on Craftsy. They make a 1/4" foot for most sewing machines and I think they are mainly made for making quilts. They DO NOT make a scant 1/4" foot that I am aware of. So why are we all expected to make this whole quilt ( 24 blocks ) using a scant 1/4" seam. It is so much easier to line the edge of the foot up with the edge of the fabric. Needless to say, I made the block more than once. LOL OK, I'm happy now. Had my gripe for the day. glenda

  2. #2
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,851
    Your challenge is easily enough met ... move your needle slightly, so as to make the seam a scant 1/4" when you run your fabric along the edge of the foot.

    Why have a 2nd one, when one will do the job?
    In$tead you can $ave your $ for more fabric!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    459
    I added a couple layers of tape to the guide on my 1/4 inch foot on my straight stitch only machine. Gives me the scant 1/4. On my digital machine, I just move the needle over a little.

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Keller, TX
    Posts
    7,515
    Totally agree! A scant 1/4" is in sane!
    Linda

  5. #5
    Super Member Lori S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,385
    For my machine they have two types of 1/4 inch feet , one with a single needle size hole and another that you can move the needle either way a few milimeters. Once I found the one I could move the needle .. I rarely use the other. You may find it called and edge stitching foot... its is worth the $$$

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    533
    I'm with all of you, a "scant" 1/4" is a crazy measurement. Did your grandma sew everything a scant 1/4" ? I doubt it! And, if that measurement is so important, then why don't ruler manufacturers just add it to the extra 1/2" measurement on the cut side of the quilt rulers? I say, for an accurate block, line your fabric up along the 1/4" foot and suffer the consequence of your final quilt being slightly small than what the pattern says. You can always makeup the difference with your borders and, at the very least, your seams won't be splitting after the first washing.

  7. #7
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by noahscats7 View Post
    This question is being asked because I finally finished my Balkan Puzzle block for Feb. on Craftsy. They make a 1/4" foot for most sewing machines and I think they are mainly made for making quilts. They DO NOT make a scant 1/4" foot that I am aware of. So why are we all expected to make this whole quilt ( 24 blocks ) using a scant 1/4" seam. It is so much easier to line the edge of the foot up with the edge of the fabric. Needless to say, I made the block more than once. LOL OK, I'm happy now. Had my gripe for the day. glenda

    I'm one for bending the rules. Why not just use the 1/4" on all your blocks?

    If you really need the scant quarter, make it out on the sewing machine and then mark with some painters tape. Easy enough to remove when you are done.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

  8. #8
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    42,882
    Blog Entries
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur View Post
    I added a couple layers of tape to the guide on my 1/4 inch foot on my straight stitch only machine. Gives me the scant 1/4.
    what a clever idea! i have a foot with a fence/guide on one machine. thanks for the tip
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?


  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    5,040
    I can position my needle several clicks to the right or left by pushing a button. I click it once to the right, and that gives me a scant 1/4.

  10. #10
    Super Member whinnytoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,245
    I hate 'scant', what is the point? patterns should be made to accomodate standard 1/4" seams. PERIOD

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sturbridge, Ma
    Posts
    4,014
    scant is difrerent in many situations.
    However, if you don't want to do a scant 1/4" you certainy don't have to. However, #2, if you want your pieces to fit together you will. Just remember if you do a true 1/4" you have to account for the amount of space the fold and thread and needle size wil reduce the size. Its all in the fitting
    Also if you take several of the same machines and same feet that fit it, the 1/4" will or might be slightly different. All in the mass manufacturing.

  12. #12
    Super Member TerryQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Vista, CA
    Posts
    1,515
    I move my needle over, easier that way.
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Colony, TX
    Posts
    3,364
    I was reading a quilt book that I got for my birthday "Mastering Precsion Piecing" by Sally Collins. One thing that I found very interesting is that she says if we have a machine on which you can move the needle over, we really should be using a wider presser foot and moving our needle over until we have a 1/4" or scant 1/4" (whichever you prefer) at the edge of that foot. For most of us - I have a Bernina when we have our needle in the center position and use a 1/4" foot we are not using the feed dogs on the right hand side which gives us better fabric control. I haven't tried this yet but will on my next project. It is one of those aha moments and makes sense after someone tells me that.

  14. #14
    Super Member DogHouseMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Knot Merrill, Southern Indiana
    Posts
    5,713
    I move my needle over, and its different depending on what fabric I'm working with. For example, if I sew two batiks together I don't have to move the needle nearly as much as if I was sewing two heavier Asian prints for example. If I'm using both in the same quilt, I adjust ... and that way my 1/4" is true from fabric to fabric. Its not important when working with larger blocks, but I work quite often with very small blocks and that mis-match of fabric adjustment can make a big difference when piecing 3/4" blocks!

    The only bad part about moving my needle is that I can't use the single hole plate.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

    Sue

  15. #15
    Super Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,662
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
    I was reading a quilt book that I got for my birthday "Mastering Precsion Piecing" by Sally Collins. One thing that I found very interesting is that she says if we have a machine on which you can move the needle over, we really should be using a wider presser foot and moving our needle over until we have a 1/4" or scant 1/4" (whichever you prefer) at the edge of that foot. For most of us - I have a Bernina when we have our needle in the center position and use a 1/4" foot we are not using the feed dogs on the right hand side which gives us better fabric control. I haven't tried this yet but will on my next project. It is one of those aha moments and makes sense after someone tells me that.
    Try the #20 foot with the needle one click to the right. Works perfectly on my Bernina.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Halls Cross Roads, TN
    Posts
    944
    Blog Entries
    133
    That might work if I had a pricey machine, but my Brother doesn't let me do that. Wish it did. All I have is the center stitch and then it'll move one space to the left. It's really a no win situation.

    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Your challenge is easily enough met ... move your needle slightly, so as to make the seam a scant 1/4" when you run your fabric along the edge of the foot.

    Why have a 2nd one, when one will do the job?
    In$tead you can $ave your $ for more fabric!
    Last edited by noahscats7; 03-12-2012 at 06:06 PM.

  17. #17
    Super Member gramajo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Peotone IL
    Posts
    2,592
    Quote Originally Posted by whinnytoo View Post
    I hate 'scant', what is the point? patterns should be made to accomodate standard 1/4" seams. PERIOD
    I agree.

    And I can't move the needle on my machine a click or two. It's a good thing I don't make small blocks. I just live with my quilts being a bit smaller than the directions say.

  18. #18
    Super Member jmabby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Minnesota, Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Posts
    1,523
    Blog Entries
    1
    Pretty soon it will be 1/8 inch, maybe

  19. #19
    Super Member sewbeadit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    3,999
    Quote Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
    I'm with all of you, a "scant" 1/4" is a crazy measurement. Did your grandma sew everything a scant 1/4" ? I doubt it! And, if that measurement is so important, then why don't ruler manufacturers just add it to the extra 1/2" measurement on the cut side of the quilt rulers? I say, for an accurate block, line your fabric up along the 1/4" foot and suffer the consequence of your final quilt being slightly small than what the pattern says. You can always makeup the difference with your borders and, at the very least, your seams won't be splitting after the first washing.
    I agree, I am a grandmother now and I use 1/4 inch. I never heard of scant until a few years ago anyway. Look in some of the older quilt books and see if you find "scant" anywhere. So what if the quilt is a few scants smaller?
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

  20. #20
    Member Tollergirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    95
    Move the needle??? Duh! Why didn't i think of that?

    I think that 'scant' happened because the designer of the pattern was in the habit of using a 'scant' and just wrote the pattern to match her style! haha

  21. #21
    Senior Member QuiltingCrazie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Las Cruces, NM
    Posts
    751
    Who came up with scant 1/4" anyway? Really I thought 1/4 was cutting it close on seams to begin with of course I started sewing clothes and those are 5/8" seams. I happily do 1/4" figured out long ago that if your consistent your blocks turn out no matter what seam allowance you use.
    *Rachel*

  22. #22
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    8,592
    Blog Entries
    14
    What is the difference between 1/4" and scant? Won't the seams split faster with scant 1/4"?

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    79
    I love this rant. I joined a block swap with my quilting group recently. We got the pattern, I cut and started sewing thinking it was a standard 1/4" seam. Finished block didn't measure to the size pattern said it would. Called best friend who reminded me that the scant 1/4" seam was mentioned in the meeting. After ripping and resewing, finished block measured out correctly. No where in the pattern does it mention the scant business.

  24. #24
    BMP
    BMP is offline
    Super Member BMP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,504
    Blog Entries
    4
    I have never had any problems piecing and I have a Bernina with a 1/4" foot/wguide,fence!! I dont move my needle position either.

  25. #25
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tallmadge, OH
    Posts
    5,059
    I totally agree. Who came up with the idea of a scant quarter inch anyway.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.