Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: why do people do this??

Blog Entries

why do people do this??

This question is being asked because I finally finished my Balkan Puzzle block for Feb. on Craftsy. They make a 1/4" foot for most sewing machines and I think they are mainly made for making quilts. They DO NOT make a scant 1/4" foot that I am aware of. So why are we all expected to make this whole quilt ( 24 blocks ) using a scant 1/4" seam. It is so much easier to line the edge of the foot up with the edge of the fabric. Needless to say, I made the block more than once. LOL OK, I'm happy now. Had my gripe for the day. glenda

Your challenge is easily enough met ... move your needle slightly, so as to make the seam a scant 1/4" when you run your fabric along the edge of the foot.

Why have a 2nd one, when one will do the job?
    In$tead you can $ave your $ for more fabric!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I added a couple layers of tape to the guide on my 1/4 inch foot on my straight stitch only machine. Gives me the scant 1/4. On my digital machine, I just move the needle over a little.

Totally agree! A scant 1/4" is in sane!
    Linda

For my machine they have two types of 1/4 inch feet , one with a single needle size hole and another that you can move the needle either way a few milimeters. Once I found the one I could move the needle .. I rarely use the other. You may find it called and edge stitching foot... its is worth the $$$

I'm with all of you, a "scant" 1/4" is a crazy measurement. Did your grandma sew everything a scant 1/4" ? I doubt it! And, if that measurement is so important, then why don't ruler manufacturers just add it to the extra 1/2" measurement on the cut side of the quilt rulers? I say, for an accurate block, line your fabric up along the 1/4" foot and suffer the consequence of your final quilt being slightly small than what the pattern says. You can always makeup the difference with your borders and, at the very least, your seams won't be splitting after the first washing.

Quote Originally Posted by noahscats7 View Post
    This question is being asked because I finally finished my Balkan Puzzle block for Feb. on Craftsy. They make a 1/4" foot for most sewing machines and I think they are mainly made for making quilts. They DO NOT make a scant 1/4" foot that I am aware of. So why are we all expected to make this whole quilt ( 24 blocks ) using a scant 1/4" seam. It is so much easier to line the edge of the foot up with the edge of the fabric. Needless to say, I made the block more than once. LOL OK, I'm happy now. Had my gripe for the day. glenda

I'm one for bending the rules. Why not just use the 1/4" on all your blocks?

If you really need the scant quarter, make it out on the sewing machine and then mark with some painters tape. Easy enough to remove when you are done.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur View Post
    I added a couple layers of tape to the guide on my 1/4 inch foot on my straight stitch only machine. Gives me the scant 1/4.
    what a clever idea! i have a foot with a fence/guide on one machine. thanks for the tip
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I can position my needle several clicks to the right or left by pushing a button. I click it once to the right, and that gives me a scant 1/4.

I hate 'scant', what is the point? patterns should be made to accomodate standard 1/4" seams. PERIOD

Banned
    scant is difrerent in many situations.
    However, if you don't want to do a scant 1/4" you certainy don't have to. However, #2, if you want your pieces to fit together you will. Just remember if you do a true 1/4" you have to account for the amount of space the fold and thread and needle size wil reduce the size. Its all in the fitting
    Also if you take several of the same machines and same feet that fit it, the 1/4" will or might be slightly different. All in the mass manufacturing.

I move my needle over, easier that way.
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

I was reading a quilt book that I got for my birthday "Mastering Precsion Piecing" by Sally Collins. One thing that I found very interesting is that she says if we have a machine on which you can move the needle over, we really should be using a wider presser foot and moving our needle over until we have a 1/4" or scant 1/4" (whichever you prefer) at the edge of that foot. For most of us - I have a Bernina when we have our needle in the center position and use a 1/4" foot we are not using the feed dogs on the right hand side which gives us better fabric control. I haven't tried this yet but will on my next project. It is one of those aha moments and makes sense after someone tells me that.

I move my needle over, and its different depending on what fabric I'm working with. For example, if I sew two batiks together I don't have to move the needle nearly as much as if I was sewing two heavier Asian prints for example. If I'm using both in the same quilt, I adjust ... and that way my 1/4" is true from fabric to fabric. Its not important when working with larger blocks, but I work quite often with very small blocks and that mis-match of fabric adjustment can make a big difference when piecing 3/4" blocks!

The only bad part about moving my needle is that I can't use the single hole plate.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
    I was reading a quilt book that I got for my birthday "Mastering Precsion Piecing" by Sally Collins. One thing that I found very interesting is that she says if we have a machine on which you can move the needle over, we really should be using a wider presser foot and moving our needle over until we have a 1/4" or scant 1/4" (whichever you prefer) at the edge of that foot. For most of us - I have a Bernina when we have our needle in the center position and use a 1/4" foot we are not using the feed dogs on the right hand side which gives us better fabric control. I haven't tried this yet but will on my next project. It is one of those aha moments and makes sense after someone tells me that.
    Try the #20 foot with the needle one click to the right. Works perfectly on my Bernina.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    That might work if I had a pricey machine, but my Brother doesn't let me do that. Wish it did. All I have is the center stitch and then it'll move one space to the left. It's really a no win situation.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Your challenge is easily enough met ... move your needle slightly, so as to make the seam a scant 1/4" when you run your fabric along the edge of the foot.

Why have a 2nd one, when one will do the job?
    In$tead you can $ave your $ for more fabric!
    Last edited by noahscats7; 03-12-2012 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whinnytoo View Post
    I hate 'scant', what is the point? patterns should be made to accomodate standard 1/4" seams. PERIOD
    I agree.

And I can't move the needle on my machine a click or two. It's a good thing I don't make small blocks. I just live with my quilts being a bit smaller than the directions say.

Blog Entries
    Pretty soon it will be 1/8 inch, maybe

Quote Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
    I'm with all of you, a "scant" 1/4" is a crazy measurement. Did your grandma sew everything a scant 1/4" ? I doubt it! And, if that measurement is so important, then why don't ruler manufacturers just add it to the extra 1/2" measurement on the cut side of the quilt rulers? I say, for an accurate block, line your fabric up along the 1/4" foot and suffer the consequence of your final quilt being slightly small than what the pattern says. You can always makeup the difference with your borders and, at the very least, your seams won't be splitting after the first washing.
    I agree, I am a grandmother now and I use 1/4 inch. I never heard of scant until a few years ago anyway. Look in some of the older quilt books and see if you find "scant" anywhere. So what if the quilt is a few scants smaller?
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Move the needle??? Duh! Why didn't i think of that?

I think that 'scant' happened because the designer of the pattern was in the habit of using a 'scant' and just wrote the pattern to match her style! haha

Who came up with scant 1/4" anyway? Really I thought 1/4 was cutting it close on seams to begin with of course I started sewing clothes and those are 5/8" seams. I happily do 1/4" figured out long ago that if your consistent your blocks turn out no matter what seam allowance you use.
    *Rachel*

Blog Entries
    What is the difference between 1/4" and scant? Won't the seams split faster with scant 1/4"?

I love this rant. I joined a block swap with my quilting group recently. We got the pattern, I cut and started sewing thinking it was a standard 1/4" seam. Finished block didn't measure to the size pattern said it would. Called best friend who reminded me that the scant 1/4" seam was mentioned in the meeting. After ripping and resewing, finished block measured out correctly. No where in the pattern does it mention the scant business.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    I have never had any problems piecing and I have a Bernina with a 1/4" foot/wguide,fence!! I dont move my needle position either.

I totally agree. Who came up with the idea of a scant quarter inch anyway.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast