Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do people make quilts with flannel? >

Why do people make quilts with flannel?

Why do people make quilts with flannel?

Old 04-09-2015, 04:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
Use good quality flannel that doesn't pill.... it is my very favourite backing for a cuddle quilt...
Yes, quality does count. You buy cheap flannel and it will pill but the better quality flannel doesn't. Being disable, I hardly ever use flannel on the backing because I am weary of it stretching on me when I quilt it.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:51 AM

Good quality flannel doesn't pill. It's very soft and cozy and makes wonderful lap quilts.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:55 AM

Flannel is not my cup of tea to work with but everyone has their own tastes in fabric. I've seen some beautiful quilts from flannel and know it takes some expertise to work with flannel.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:58 AM

Yes, GOOD flannel is a thing of beauty - I love a good hearty thick flannel. NOT the thin, pilly stuff!!

Growing up, almost all of the quilts I had made by my maternal grandmother were flannel-backed, so for me it feels like that's what you're "supposed" to use. I don't always, but probably about a third or more of my quilts have had flannel backing, and a couple have flannel tops too.

Some of the best flannel I've bought has come from Connecting Threads, btw. Thick, dense, & durable. Love it.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:06 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

The only thing warmer than a flannel quilt is one backed with fleece. And, no matter how nice and warm the house usually is, when it is -40 outside, you appreciate warm blankets.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:41 AM

I have backed most of my quilts with flannel. It is always my choice if possible. The one I use on my bed has not pilled and doesn't attract cat hair anymore than the cotton sheets or top. Another great reason is that it doesn't slide off of the bed as easily and is always warm and cuddly.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:18 AM

I use good flannel all the time. I certainly pre-wash. My warmest quilt is flannel both front and back with fleece as the batting. It's really warm and gets better as I wash. I was concerned before I did my first flannel quilt and now I done't want to use anything else for at least the backings.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:22 AM

I bought 4 yards of a flannel with a cardinal print I loved. I didn't want to cut it up though, so it sat on the shelf for awhile. Then I got the bright idea to use the fat quarters and other flannels I had, and cut them in to brick size, and then pieced them together for the quilt, and used my cardinal flannel for the backing. This was before I really knew what was what, and I probably didn't pre-wash. I got lucky! This flannel quilt is the go-to quilt in the family room. If I cover up with this quilt, the cat joins me. I am really warm and comfy then!
Old 04-09-2015, 09:17 AM

Better quality flannel does not pill or pills only in certain colors. It is soft, and warm and it's ok if it doesn't last as long. My sister's flannel backed scrap quilt is only now just wearing out after 8 years, and used year around. It's been washed in the washing machine and put in the dryer on the average of twice a month. I tied this quilt, so I can clip all the ties and reback it, but 8 years is really a good time for something to last. My quilt, completed and tied at the same time, will probably last another 10 since it is only washed twice each year and put away in the summer.

I do have a couple of flannel quilts (once bed sized, a couple couch sized) that are flannel on both sides. Neither shows any pilling after some years of light use. But, both had high end quilt shop flannel. The baby quilt I made for my cousin's daughter only pills in one of the colors and that is minimal. She's 9 now and it gets regular use, although less washing today than when she was a toddler.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:00 PM

I like the soft cuddly feel of flannel. I also like using fleece for backings.