Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do so many people buy so many fat quarters? >

Why do so many people buy so many fat quarters?

Why do so many people buy so many fat quarters?

Old 03-18-2011, 08:02 AM

Many times FQ come in fabrics that are no longer avaliable on the bolt so you get a greater variety. Also there are many patterns such as Yellow brick road that are FQ friendly. I have a pattern that takes 22 FQ- (how hard was that to find that many fat quareters.) Also you get better cutting from FQ than you do 1/4 yd. I feel that the price for FQ is equal to 1/4 price per yard.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:07 AM

I like fat quarters for variety and applique - They work well for a lot of 30's patterns where you need different fabrics - I also like precuts for some things
Old 03-18-2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by kateyb
Originally Posted by Sophie2
Originally Posted by kateyb
I use fat quarters for BOM's, accents for some of my quilts and it is fun to use for a variety in a design. Here is one I made for my niece who likes purple. She loved it. Pattern from Fons and Porter magazine.
I love the pattern and choice of colors. By chance, do you know what issue the pattern was in? I have a lot of the issues and could look thru them all, but if you have the issue handy, it would be faster and allow me more time to stitch. LOL. Thanks. :lol:
It was called Spinning Rails in the July/August 2004 issue of Love of Quilting Magazine.

What a lovely quilt! I really like all the purple fabrics. Thanks for sharing with us.

I started buying FQ's for several different BOM patterns I was following. I had been a sewer and crafter but then started into quilting doing a BOM from JoAnns.

Some of us start with FQ's to get a stash of fabric started and because we have budget issues to consider.

Lately I have to have a FQ for a monthly drawing in one of my guilt guilds. So instead of buying a FQ, many times I'm buying a 1/2 yard. This way I get a FQ along with joining in the FQ lottery.

If I really like the fabric and it's on sale, and the budget allows, then I may purchase a 1 yard cut. This is especially true if I'm collecting fabric for a special project.

As you progress with your quilting and see that your sewing more quilt tops instead of just blocks, then you buy more.

I've also been doing a yearly purchase project such as Thimbleberries. I've been able to find one shop that has a Frugal BOM program and has a payment plan for getting the setting kit and backing.

(I asked if they had one, they didn't, so I suggested that with the current economy that it might be highly received by their customers. They did for this BOM program. Yeah!! Hopefully they'll continue this practice with other kits and BOM programs and that other shops will think to have this option for their customers.)

Pam M
Old 03-18-2011, 08:56 AM

I like to make table runners and pot holders and key fobs and purses and fat quarters are great for them as well as many other things
Old 03-18-2011, 09:09 AM

[quote=quiltsRfun]I wasn't very excited about fat quarters until I made a quilt from Eleanor Burns Quick Quarter Quilts book.

I thought I had all her books but this is one I have not seen. I checked on the web site and did a search but could not find it. Is it quick trip quilts? Can I see a pic of the cover. It sounds like one I would like a lot.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:22 AM

I do a lot of applique, and am always looking for just the right piece that I don't need a lot of. Fat quarters are a lot cheaper to collect for that
Old 03-18-2011, 09:28 AM

I mainly buy fat quarters & love them! I like having a little bit of lots of fabrics. Now, when making a quilt, if I need bigger pieces, then I will buy some, but even buying fqs, I feel like it takes forever to use them all up, so why would I buy bigger pieces. I also like using lots of different fabrics in my quilts, so they take care of that too. Works for me!
Old 03-18-2011, 09:45 AM

[quote=kellen46]
Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
I wasn't very excited about fat quarters until I made a quilt from Eleanor Burns Quick Quarter Quilts book.

I thought I had all her books but this is one I have not seen. I checked on the web site and did a search but could not find it. Is it quick trip quilts? Can I see a pic of the cover. It sounds like one I would like a lot.
Me too! ;-)
Old 03-18-2011, 09:48 AM

I've used them when I am making single blocks for charity & memory quilts, for applique, for quilted baby cowboy boots, etc. They do have their uses.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:45 PM

Love having all kinds of choices for scrappy quilts and applique. Also buy a lot of half yards. I can never decided on several yards of one fabric, so will buy a lot of fats or half yards.

Brenda