Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Do The Threads In My Quilts Keep Breaking? >

Why Do The Threads In My Quilts Keep Breaking?

Why Do The Threads In My Quilts Keep Breaking?

Old 01-07-2012, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Taino Jan View Post
Dear PS150, the cat did it. Your best friend, Fido
LOL!! Right about now, the dog would blow the whistle on the cat. He keeps teasing the pup. We're crate training and I heard some whining so I went to check on our pup and the cat was lying on top of the kennel. Oh joy, lol.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
Just so you know, when they declaw a cat they cut off the whole last joint of their "finger."
I know, and I hate to do it, but it was already decided upon before this. We've never declawed before and normally the thought of it makes me shudder. Our oldest cat is a rescue pet and she came to us already declawed but we've never actually wanted to do it. Our youngest DD has a medical condition that affects her hands. When she has a flare-up of her syndrome, she absolutely cannot have any punctures to the skin on her hands or fingers. DH made the decision to declaw after the cat was playing beside our DD, reached up and clawed her hand and later her face. I don't know if he was batting at her hair or anything else but DH made that call and I have to respect him on this. I've always been a firm believer that if there's a disagreement between husband and wife, then the husband's decision supersedes the wife's...I spent the first 8 years of my life living with my grandparents and really find a lot of my beliefs rooted in their "Great Depression Way Of Life," and my own biblical views. The cat belongs to our youngest, the one with the medical condition, and DH won't get rid of him, especially since in all other regards, he's the sweetest cat. But, he's still a kitten and very playful.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:12 PM

If people put their knees into the quilt when they sit down, like a lot of children do, that can cause problems with the thread. I have always heard that CC is supposed to be good thread and have found it much better than a lot I have used.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:36 PM

One of the owners of 'my' lqs told me not to use embroidery thread for quilting as it breaks easily.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:05 AM

Well, I don't know if this is traditional embroidery thread. It's just shiny like that, but it's a 40 weight instead of a 50 weight so it's stronger. I just refer to it as embroidery thread because that's what it looks like. I tried the finger test on it though and it didn't break so that's why I used it.