Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do we do this? >

Why do we do this?

Why do we do this?

Old 09-27-2012, 09:23 AM

Its about colors and great textiles! Its about that satisfaction I get when I see perfectly sewn points, or a block that when its pressed just after the final seam..just brings a smile to my face. Its about the anticipation of creating and having control over the process.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

I have given quilts to family,friends and people I don't know, most have several. I love making quilts, usually takes two weeks at most. I have no one at the moment that needs a quilt so I am piling them up until someone comes along. I have lots and lots of fabric. I bought it to make quilts and that is what I'm going to do. I work full time or I could make them faster and get the pile much higher much faster.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:57 AM

I guess way back when, it started because i really had no money to buy gifts at Birthdays or Christmas for my large, extended family....but i could make them something pretty and useful and uniquely theirs. I still want that - but there's a lot of therapy involved as well. I have a very stressful job - and sitting at my machine - creating - it just relaxes me and makes me feel good. I said it in another post a while ago -- i'll never write the great American novel, paint like DaVinci, compose a symphony, etc, etc - but maybe someone i love - or someone i don't even know - will feel warm and comfy using one of my quilts after i am long gone.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:00 AM

i enjoy the creativity there is in making my own pattern. i also enjoy collecting beautiful fabrics that i hope to use in my quilts.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Prissnboot View Post
So....why do YOU do what you do?
Because I can.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:03 AM

I love to sew, knit and bake. I am, however, very careful about who I give homemade gifts to and who gets the store-bought. I think I know who will appreciate my crusty fresh-from-the-oven bread or decorated Christmas cookies. My cute hand-knitted socks are prized by some. Quilts are special gifts, if they end up on eBay to finance her new smart phone purchase, I know cash would have been a better present.

A couple of years ago during the holidays, a young anchorwoman on a local tv station made a very snarky remark about making a list of stupid unwanted Christmas gifts which included afghans and other handmade items. Later AT&T ran ads showing a father complaining about the presents he received from his children. It made me stop and think. Gift-giving was more enjoyable for me in the past.

I give a quilt to someone because I hope they will enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:07 AM

I quilt because I enjoy it.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:13 AM

I quilt and create to please myself.....once in awhile I will do something for someone else. Sometimes I keep whatever if quilt or create and sometimes I don't. Just what makes me happy.

delma
Old 09-27-2012, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
I have no job. I'm too lazy to clean. I hate yard work. Day time television is awful. I can only kill an hour a day at the gym.

Seriously, I sew because it is fun. I make a quilt and throw it on the pile. If someone wants one, OK. If not, the pile isn't hurting anything.
That pretty much covers it for me. I sew for me. If somebody else loves what I create, great. If not that's fine too since I did it for me anyway. I wanted to play with the colors, patterns, fabric, etc.

I frequently make quilts just because I wanted to combine specific fabrics with a specific pattern with no recipient in mind at all.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:14 PM

In spite of my fabric addiction it's still cheaper than therapy. Well, maybe... LOL Actually it IS my therapy. I work in human services with a very vulnerable at-risk population and after a day like I've had yesterday and today, it relaxes me and helps me feel a sense of accomplishment even if we weren't so successful with the clients. For instance, yesterday we had a series of crises and drama at work and I left wondering what I could have done differently/better. I came home and sequestered myself in my sewing/bedroom, put some music on and spent 3 hours finishing the piecing together of a quilt top for my brother. I felt like "yes, I can accomplish SOMETHING. I WILL have this done in time for his birthday." And besides, quilting is just plain fun!