Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do we do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
    I have no job. I'm too lazy to clean. I hate yard work. Day time television is awful. I can only kill an hour a day at the gym.

Seriously, I sew because it is fun. I make a quilt and throw it on the pile. If someone wants one, OK. If not, the pile isn't hurting anything.
    I resemble your post...LOL!....you just described me to a "T".
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

My pile of quilts and fabric are really useful as furniture dust protectors!

Seriously, I sew because it is fun. I make a quilt and throw it on the pile. If someone wants one, OK. If not, the pile isn't hurting anything.
    Your words seem to have rung true for many of us, me included. I have more fun making a quilt for the pile than for someone I know. No pressure, no expectations, no time constraints. Just fun, doing exactly what I want to do.
    "Be brave enough to be who you really are.

I quilt because I love it. I used to do other crafts (painting, knitting, crocheting, flower arranging, ...). I do what is fun and relaxing because it is fun and relaxing. It puts me in a good place.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    LOL, I had to check your name because I started to think I might have posted this last night in my sleep! Except I do watch TV most of the day. Love the house and food shows.
    I had to stop watching the food shows because they developed my already over active appetite. Stopped watching home shows because it made me feel so guilty about my deteriorating housekeeping. So I tune in to things like Little House on the Prairie, Bonanza, or old shows such as that. I only listen to them. My eyes are on my projects.

Horrors of all horrors happened to me today. My good friend who is an awesome housekeeper followed me to my sewing room. I was going to get something to show her my progress. I could have melted into the carpet. But she keeps returning, so I guess I'm alright.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Blog Entries
    It keeps me out of the bar and off the streets. Any my friends are impressed that I could do that.
    You will get what you expect to get.

It's an enjoyable activity for me. Quite frankly, I am never thinking about gifting when I make any quilt as the average cost of making my quilts is around $300, which in my opinion is too expensive to gift. I regard them as one would regard a painting.

Blog Entries
    I started making my gifts when I was a child. I can still remember my Grandmother and my Aunts being so proud of the aprons I made them when I was 9 years old. I also remember going to my Grandmothers for a sleepover and on the bed were the pillowcases I made her. And my grandsons were so thrilled to take their quilts to college with them. I believe gifts should come from the heart; not the mall. Anyone can shop, it takes a special person, or artist, to make a gift with her (or his) own hands. I think mine stems from the fact that my parents couldn't afford nice gifts for us. My dad made me the most wonderful curio shelf for my bedroom, and I always got a flannel nightie from my mom. And now that the Gkids are growing up, and DD and DDILs don't need any more table runners, I am making quilts for charities and giving them in the name of my family members. All but one appreciated the thought.

I have no job. I'm too lazy to clean. I hate yard work. Day time television is awful. I can only kill an hour a day at the gym.

I love your attitude! Keep it up!

I enjoy quilting & sewing. I do it for enjoyment & relaxing. I make quilts for people that appreciate them & also donate some.

Reading all the posts took away all my guilt. I, too, don't like housework, gardening, or cooking. To know that I'm not alone makes me feel better. I call my quilting my "therapy" and it fulfills my need to create something. I can't paint, and quilts are like giant paintings. My next project (for next summer) is making a barn quilt or two. I have a couple of places on my house to put a couple of small ones and I do have a barn. Perfect, and planning is half the fun!!
    Sue

I started quilting to get rid of fabric left over from making lots of clothes over the years. Ha, Ha! The pile has been accumulating astronomically. At first I was making only charity quilts. I have eight children, 3 step children and 21 grandchildren. I didn't even think about making quilts for all of them. But one year I made 7 full size quilts. That's when I realized, "I can do this!" My "pile of quilts" is getting bigger, and soon I will have a quilt party and everyone can pick out the one they want. (My pile of fabric just gets bigger, also. LOL)

I like giving handmade gifts too, but thru the years you find that person who really does not appreciate the gift, so they are the cookies kind of people, everyone appreciates food LOL. I used to do cross stitch and needlepoint. I buy them at thrift stores and yard sales becauser I know the work people put into them. Some day I want to make a quilt using cross stitch pieces I have bought to honor the ladies, and maybe gentlemen, who made these pieces that ended up for sale way below price that the time and materials took to make the piece. I probably have enough pieces to make a couple quilts by now.

Too funny and hits very close to home, except I like gardening......AND I live in the middle of an IL soybean field, : )

I "make and bake and do" for several reasons. At least I thought so. After considering it, I realized I do it because it makes me feel good to give and receive love. It seems the more of "me" I give away, the more of "them" that comes back to me. I also like things and kindnesses that remind of those people and their love. I figure others feel the same way I do and that keeps me at it too.

My dear, dear friend is very ill. After a valiant fight she is up and moving around again. We went out to eat and a gentleman at the restaurant saw the two of us negotiating the parking lot and then the curb and he left his table to open the door for us. I will remember him in my prayers forever. One simple, thoughtful kindness that was so deeply felt by both my friend and me.

Guess my vote is on the "make and bake and do" column.

P

I spend way to much on quilting but it is what I love to do.
    My family dosnt know what goes into quilting and my daughter keeps throwing some woman she knows who is an art quilter at me.
    The stores carry slave labor quilts that are cheap to buy.
    It is discouraging but it is what I want to do and the pleasure you get from it is priceless.
    Reading is my other love and it is much cheaper. So between the two Im happy and satisfied.
    Just bought two kits to try out so off to the sewing room.

Here's a perspective from a brand new quilter.

I do it because I believe it's a dying art. There aren't many people that I know in real life who quilt. The women in my quilter's guild are all easily 20+ years older than I am (I'm in my early 30s). I started because I wanted a baby clothes quilt made from my daughter's infant clothes, but didn't find anyone that I really trusted (this was before I found my guild). So I decided to learn how to do it myself...and I found that I really, really enjoy doing it. And the best part? My 3 year old LOVES to help me quilt. She will hand me pins, or put pins in the "tomato". She loves going to the fabric store with me and picking out fabric. So for me, what started as me trying to do something I couldn't find anyone else to do turned into something that I LOVE to do...and something that my daughter LOVES to do with me. I'm hoping that her love of quilting continues as she gets older.

BTW...I still haven't gotten up the courage to cut up her clothes...

Love your attitude I love to quilt can't do yard work anymore so sewing is my outlet, makes great gifts also
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Well, there you go! All of the above, except for the hour at the gym! I sew, knit, paint, scrapbook, or whatever because I love it. I spent all afternoon yesterday cleaning a sewing machine. I enjoyed it! Most people would hate it, but it was my grandmother's machine, and as I took it apart, cleaned the pieces and put it back together, I felt that she was with me for a while! I suppose we really do have reasons for the things we do!

Blog Entries
    WOW! I am not alone, all of the above.
    My stash keeps me in stitches!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
    It does keep me sane at times. Besides when I am finished I feel so accomplished.

But this past weekend this fellow I met for the first time was happy to find out I was a quilter and he asked me why quilts are no light weight now. My belief was because women that could not afford batting used what they could, one thing being old wool blankets. Especially when men came home from the service they brought these very scratchy wool blankets home. They were very warm but very scratchy, so women covered them and they became quilts. My mother did it with my father's blanket. I could be very wrong, but he was fairly sure that's what his mother did. They were also fairly inexpensive at the surplus store and often found at the second hand shops. So he wants one now because they pitched all the ones his mother had after she died. I told him to go buy the wool blanket and I would be able to do the rest.

Was I wrong asking him to buy the wool blanket first? i felt this was the best way to find out if he was really serious. There is a surplus store near him that he can go to to get the blankets. I just had a feeling in my gut that if I went to buy them they would be the wrong size or not heavy enough or something. This way if he really wants one, he will be able to see before its made how heavy it will be.
    I remember those wool Army blankets. They must have been cheap surplus after the war. My aunt and uncle had a supply of about 8 that they took on camping trips at the lake. They were scratchy but boy, were they warm!

I want to be able to leave at least one quilt to each member of my family when I am gone. At the rate I am going though, they may end up with two or even three.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Why? Well it is something I always wanted to do. As a child it looked like magic to me. It keeps me sane too. I just love creating. For the most part it is fun, except the "unsewing" part. I love making them with someone specific in mind, and then I love trying out new patterns and qulit kits...

I'm always surprised when someone says they make quilts because they couldn't afford a ""store- bought" gift!! I'm making a quilt for a retirement gift that right now has about $500 worth of just supplies - hasn't even been quilted yet. Not only is that a lot of money, but I would never, never, never BUY a $500 retirement gift! I do this because I love it!

I believe that since the quilt was a gift, not sold and for a group, I think you could have had the original VW logo in there. Just don't sell it. Though I have been wrong once or twice in my life..smile....

Quote Originally Posted by Prissnboot View Post
    Why do we do what we do? Why do we spend so much more money and time making something for someone, rather than going to the nearest retailer and plopping down $20 on a trinket instead?

I personally have two reasons:

1. My mother told me some horror stories of shopping the day after Thanksgiving, one of which involved a hurried shopper pushing a wheelchair-bound customer into a wall to get them out of their way, all in the name of obtaining the best sale items. I decided then and there that if a gift wasn't handmade by me, it wasn't getting given. There have been times when people got a bag of homemade chocolate chip cookies from me, but they were made with love. One Christmas morning, the cookies were even warm...and who doesn't like warm fresh chocolate chip cookies? I guarantee they won't end up in the Goodwill bin...

2. The second reason is that when I make something for someone, I put a lot of myself into it. I have a couple of quilt tops made and stored, things that I made to try a new pattern and now what do I do with it, that kind of stuff. But I don't have finished quilts "in stock" for a random person (does anyone else have Justin Case in their closet?). I like to personalize the item, and while I am making it, I think of things that will appeal to the recipient and incorporate them into the quilt. For example, I recently made a quilt for a Volkswagen Club, the members of which are mostly classic Beetle owners. I quilted a likeness of the VW logo in the center (not identical tho - no copyright issues), along with a script of Ferdinand Porsche, the man who engineered the Beetle. Also included was 1945 (the year it was first marketed), "flower power", the words "rear mounted" and "air cooled" which pertain to the Beetle's rear mounted engine - many fun facts were FMQ'd as the quilting into the quilt. It was interesting and fun to do, and I know the ultimate recipient (the quilt will be raffled off this weekend) will love it. (I titled the quilt "One Day in Stuttgart" because that's where the Beetle was engineered, by the way - a little fun fact for next time you want to impress your friends with useless trivia.) That's one reason I do things like this.

I guess the most important reason though, is that when you do a job for financial reimbursement (and there's nothing wrong with that, we've all enjoyed paying gigs!), the money flows through your hands too quickly, but when you give someone something that contains your blood, sweat, tears, and (most importantly) your love, the look on their face when they first see it will be something you can revisit for years...long after that money is gone.

It must be that time of the month or something, I'm normally not this mushy!

So....why do YOU do what you do?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast