Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do we do it  this way???  Ever wondered >

Why do we do it this way??? Ever wondered

Why do we do it this way??? Ever wondered

Old 08-05-2010, 07:38 AM

Gosh darn. If I hand stitched anything, it would never get down!!!! I start with the binding on the back and flip it over and stitch it down WITH the machine. Looks fine to me and it over and done with, cause by then I am sick of working on it and want to get busy on the next.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by momymom
I tryed to machine stitch the back side of a binding. It was terrible. I ripped it out and hand stitched it. I've done it that way ever since.
ME TOO!!!!
Old 08-05-2010, 09:21 AM

I have nothing to add that hasn't been said already about the "why" but I can tell you a fact. I made a baby quilt for my niece's son (who turned 3 in June) and that quilt has been lugged around and washed so many times that the machine applique (close blanket stitch) has started to ravel and come undone but the hand stitched binding is as intact as the day the quilt rolled off the presses. Go figure.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:49 AM

I sew the binding to the back of the quilt first and then turn it over to the front and stitch it down by machine; sometimes I use a decorative stitch.
I have repetive motion injuries to my right hand and elbow, therefore hand sewing is painful. It's by machine or not at all.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy
I have tried over and over again to machine my bindings, but they always turn out so terrible: bumpy and awkward looking. I know people that machine bind their quilts, and they turn out looking very professional, but not me.

I really like the look of the hand stitched bindings, and the machine ones, but not mine. My hand stitched ones turn out really good. It just takes me so long to do it, my hands always go to sleep.
I use a walking foot when I sew my bindings on, it keeps it from being lumpy and bumpy.
Sharon W.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:55 AM

Most of my quilts are for a children's charity and machine stitching the entire quilt(including binding) makes them sturdy and long lasting.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:05 PM

I hand-stitch mine to the back - it's a process I really enjoy. Call me silly, but after months (or even years, sometimes!) of working with the project, and often having a love-hate relationship with it, this is the final step before letting it go. I find I really cherish these moments!

Of course, while I'm doing it my head is already full of the next five projects waiting for me!!
Old 08-05-2010, 12:26 PM

I mostly do a handstitched on the back, too. Usually I think "hand" is a 4 letter word, but there's something I find really relaxing about sewing on the binding by hand. Maybe it's "connecting" to the quilt that a machine just doesn't allow. Maybe.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by momymom
Also, the binding usually wears out first. Would you want to have to take out 2 rows of machine stitching to replace a binding? I also think hand stitched binding looks so much better. I tryed to machine stitch the back side of a binding. It was terrible. I ripped it out and hand stitched it. I've done it that way ever since.
I machine stitch the (doubled) binding to the back first, then turn and machine stitch the front; this way I have control over what it looks like on the top. If it had to wait for me to do it by hand it wouldn't happen!!!
Old 08-05-2010, 01:28 PM

I think it works better (for me) to machine stitch the binding to the back and then hand stitch to the front. I have been able to control puckering that way. However, I did this one with a quilt I entered into a quilt show and was soundly criticized by all the judges who said it MUST be hand sewn on the back. Sometimes there are quilt police!