Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why do you paper piece?

Paper piecing is one of my favorite quilting methods. You can make some really intricate blocks using this method. There can be right much fabric waste but the end results are worth it. Judy Neihmyer (I think I have that spelled right) has some spectacular patterns. Her patterns include the printed papers so you don't have to worry about copying them. Give it a try.

Blog Entries
    Paper piecing allows me to do large yet intricate work from photos. I included and example of a ski run.
    MaryKatherine
    Attached Images Attached Images
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

Banned
    First, I'll admit that PP'ing isn't my favorite way to piece. But, I will go this route when I have a quilt where I want those super sharp points and pinpoint accuracy. For me, this is only when I'm doing something like mariner's compass or another pattern with long, spiky pieces.

I love English Paper Piecing because of all the comments listed above. Accuracy is better using this method. Dresden Plates are perfect when paper pieced.
    Try it, you may find a whole new wonderful technique that you will use over and over again.
    Pat
    Patsy

Blog Entries
    There are certain designs that I don't think would get done without paper piecing. I like using freezer paper that is tacked down and folder back before you sew then there is no ripping off the paper. Here is 1/2 of a paper piecing Venice Rose I am working on. Each on of the spokes takes me an hour to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

I would never attempt triangles any other way. I've made a lot of blocks w/ tiny pieces ( 121 pieces in a 6" block) and it's the only way to get sharp points. I use freezer paper now and like it much better = no paper to pick out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I do it because , if I did a block that is only 6 inches finished but had 30 or more pieces , and lots of matching points , the chances of all of them coming out "quilt worthy" are very slim. It is the single best way to ensure accuracy , especially when bias edges are involved.
    I have done projects that never in my right mind would I attempt without paper piecing.
    Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    Accuracy and nice sharp points that match up!! Hard as I try, I cannot for the life of me make a straight log cabin block without it being paper pieced! I can start with perfectly cut strips and I sew with a perfect 1/4" seam (well, I think it is perfect!) and the darn thing will always come out wonky and skewed.
    Lori & Aunt Piggy - you took the words right off my keyboard!
    I could measure and remeasure and cut with utmost accuracy, then sew so slow that I might as well be hand stitching and I would still get mismatched seams and points. I try to turn most things I attempt into a paper piecing project because it makes me look like I know how to quilt!

Christine, I see what you mean by the "Wow' - Wow! Murphy & MaryKatherine, Wow! too! Those are each gorgeous and very different examples that really show how many diverse uses paper piecing has!

The Mariner's Compass has been hand pieced accurately without paper piecing for years. Any shape, no matter how small can be hand pieced. However, how many now feel that PP is the only way to be accurate and not stretch the fabric? That's simply not true. I'm now PP some blocks, but still prefer to hand piece. You also do not need to starch fabric to be accurate. I started teaching quilting in the mid-70s after teaching myself how to quilt and written three books on how to do it. Now, obviously, the rotary cutter and other wonderful rulers are terrific innovations, but nothing beats being accurate with cutting, maintaining an even 1/4 inch seam--whether by hand or machine--and careful pressing.
    I've been reading comments about how starch keeps the fabric stiff and makes piecing accurate. In my estimation, it's time wasted when I could be piecing. The trick is to spend time learning how to handle the fabric so that it doesn't stretch. I apologize in advance if I've ruffled some feathers, but I've wanted to say this for some time, especially for new beginners. Perhaps the answer is that what is successful for you is what you should do. But I want to get to a accurate, finished product as simply and quickly as possible with the minimum of fuss.
    SandyQuilter

Quote Originally Posted by fireworkslover View Post
    I would never attempt triangles any other way. I've made a lot of blocks w/ tiny pieces ( 121 pieces in a 6" block) and it's the only way to get sharp points. I use freezer paper now and like it much better = no paper to pick out.
    Fireworkslover... could you fill me in on why the freezer paper doesn't need to be picked out? That's the only part of PP that I'm not fond of.

Wow your link is great. It clearly demonstrates how to paper piece and thus actually explains what paper piecing is. Thanks for the link.

love paper piecing for the accuracy. i only do stars with that method after trying to do it without pp. a star took me over 6 hours to do. so it is also alot faster for me.

Do you know of a tutorial that will show how to turn a photo into paper piecing on the computer?
    With Joy
    Lynnette

This is truly beautiful. would you mind sharing where you got the pattern?
    With Joy
    Lynnette

I like the accuracy. I have done all the way from Mini quilts to a bed size quilt all paper pieced.
    Carol in Delaware
    Happy Quilting,
    Carol in De;laware

I like the precision of a paper pieced block as I do not do hand piecing.

mltquilt

Blog Entries
    paper piecing allows you to put together sharp points and shapes that would be impossible by normal piecing methods-
    visit Carol Doak's site and visit the galleries- you will see---it would be impossible---or extremely difficult to put together some of those points/shapes any other way.
    i love paper piecing- it adds alot to a design when you can make something that is so detailed...and comes out perfectly with no lost points.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Sometimes it's just used to keep things straight. I've been sewing selvages onto adding machine tape to use in a strip quilt. The adding machine tape just keeps the rows from curving.
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

iI agree with you Peckish. My first quilt was Storm at Sea paper pieced and it was quite accurate. I hardly had to square it.

I too love the "Wow you did that". I just love paper piecing. But I like hand applique to go figure. Teresa

Blog Entries
    Being a perfectionist... I LOVE the precision of paper piecing.

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BATIKQLTR View Post
    Good question!

This is just my take on it. Like the Mariner's Compass block, there is a lot of different size pieces and points that would be hard to match with regular piecing. And like you mentioned, some pieces are very small as in some circular patterns.

I'm not very good at PP, but I want to make a Mariner's quilt, so am trying to learn as much as I can before I start a whole project. The January BOM is a paper piecing block that is not too difficult. You might want to go to that posing and see if you would like to try it. There is a youtube video that is really good at explaining it also. I'll find it and PM you with that link.

Some people would rather PP than regular piecing. I haven't made up my mind yet.

Here is the link. It is very basic and easy to follow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uaW2...re=uploademail
    Thank you for the link, she makes it very easy to understand!
    quilting with my dogs

punishment to self. lol.
    katigirl

self punishment.
    katigirl

first off - Lynnie23, hello, I haven't talked with you in awhile. Hope all is well.
    I agree that hand piecing will probably give one the precise points needed, but not many quilters today are 'hand' stitchers - in our hurry up world, can't sit that long, I guess. It is truly relaxing for me.
    Feline Fanatic, Thanks, I think for that wonderful website. I was truly amazed at all the patterns available. I love pp-ing, but haven't been 'shopping' for any new patterns. I think, though I just found my next shopping trip. Have some wonderful friends who are into horses and dogs - good patterns there for small quilts for them.
    Katherine and Murphy1, wonderful quilts and yes, would love the pattern to the pieces posted here - again, those are not in my pattern stash. (I have two hobbies - quilting and collecting patterns!!)
    Kathleen

Live today as if it may be your last, for who knows...

Is paper piecing the same thing as Foundation quilting?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast