Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Why don't they make a plain quilting machine

Blog Entries

Why don't they make a plain quilting machine

What I mean is just a plain sewing machine with a longer arm able to accommodate large quilts? I realize that there are machines out there like the HQ16 and regular long arm machines and I know that they have those "stretched" machines. But how much trouble would it be to create a machine with just the extra space that just sewed a plain straight stitch that would cost less than $5,000 and up? I know there are plenty of us that can't afford that much and/or don't have the space to accommodate a long arm set up... Is there something out there like this and I just missed it?
    Bernie

Maybe you are looking for the Baby Lock Quilting professional. I think it has a 9" throat. About 4 years ago I got it for $1000. Just straight stitch.
    Walking foot and hopping foot for either kind of quilting plus regular stitching.

http://www.wowquilts.com/

16"machine for $1900

Blog Entries
    My Juki TL98Q has a bit more space, a 9" throat I believe, and just does a straight stitch, and does it WONDERFULLY! It has been replaced by a newer model now, but very similar. http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/jukitl2010q-asgsm.php

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this machine for both piecing and FMQing!!! And it runs just under $1000.
    Wendy

I've been looking at the Janome1600P QC, it looks pretty good, apparently its quite a workhorse, but heavy. I know what you mean - I do get a bit overwhelmed with all the bells and whistles and I know I probably won't use most of them - and at the end of the day that is what you are paying for!

Anonymous
    Brother PQ1500S is a straight stitch machine with a bigger throat. I use it for quilting.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Brother 1500S is a simple straight stitch machine with a 9 inch throat. I love mine!!!

LOL! We must have posted at the same time. Great minds think alike.

Blog Entries
    thanks for asking this question... I am not sure I can afford even these, but it seems more forseeable than the 10's of thousands of dollars that I have seen.... My mom and I have considered purchasing something together and there is a possibility with the machines at Baily Center. Love that they are made in the USA....
    If you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love. :-)
    Donna

Blog Entries
    They can stretch your machine, I guess the cut it in half and add to it, like a stretch limo. I don't know what it costs but I have read about it. Also I have a sweet 16, sits on a table and I have done even a king size quilt, costs about $3000
    Patski
    always learning

Blog Entries
    I've seen those but I was looking for a regular table top sewing machine--not one that sits on a frame (no space) and I already have a machine with a 8.5" throat space. I guess I was looking for something like the HQ16 but a little cheaper...prolaly no such animal...just wishful thinking...
    Bernie

I agree with the two other posts. I have a Brother PQ-1500S. It has a long arm and is a real work horse. I do wish I had a second machine that for other stitches.

I wish someone would invent a sewing machine with a bigger bobbin. Why do they have to be so small?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by azwendyg View Post
    My Juki TL98Q has a bit more space, a 9" throat I believe, and just does a straight stitch, and does it WONDERFULLY! It has been replaced by a newer model now, but very similar. http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/jukitl2010q-asgsm.php

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this machine for both piecing and FMQing!!! And it runs just under $1000.
    ditto here
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

the machine I was going to recommend as well!

Joann

Quote Originally Posted by azwendyg View Post

Quote Originally Posted by beaqltr View Post
    I agree with the two other posts. I have a Brother PQ-1500S. It has a long arm and is a real work horse. I do wish I had a second machine that for other stitches.

I wish someone would invent a sewing machine with a bigger bobbin. Why do they have to be so small?
    They've done so. It's the Bernina 830 and 820, and the bobbin is 3 times the size of regular, domestic machines.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    They've done so. It's the Bernina 830 and 820, and the bobbin is 3 times the size of regular, domestic machines.
    How big is their throat space?
    Bernie

Blog Entries
    Babylock Jane. 9" throat, straight stitch. Sew quilts, piecework, even jeans...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie View Post
    Never mind, I just looked it up--that's perfect and a beautiful machine BUT I don't see a price range which usually means it's out of my range
    Bernie

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie View Post
    It's got the largest arm and throat space of any domestic machine and one of the largest price tags. 15" arm and I believe 12" throat.

I have an old Bernina Record 830, built in the 70's. It doesn't have a long throat, only about 7 1/2". But, I just finished quilting a queen sized quilt on it with no problem. I don't roll, I "scrunch" and don't try to go any further than the center. It works for me, and it only cost me $400 on eBay a couple of years ago.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    It's got the largest arm and throat space of any domestic machine and one of the largest price tags. 15" arm and I believe 12" throat.
    One day I'm going to hit the lottery!
    Bernie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by happyquiltmom View Post
    I have an old Bernina Record 830, built in the 70's. It doesn't have a long throat, only about 7 1/2". But, I just finished quilting a queen sized quilt on it with no problem. I don't roll, I "scrunch" and don't try to go any further than the center. It works for me, and it only cost me $400 on eBay a couple of years ago.
    Problem is, I'm new to fmq and I've been trying and trying. I scrunch too but I'm still no good at it although I do a little better when I don't have to scrunch so much. I know in my lifetime I will never be as good as some of the fm quilter's on this board but I do want it to be presentable which it is not at this point...guess I was born to be a hand quilter only.
    Bernie

They do make a table mounted long arm machine. Do give them a call since some manufactures prohibit publishing pricing on the internet.
    http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp24354.html

Here is another just so you get a feel for pricing.
    http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewi...8/product.html
    Last edited by Lori S; 02-09-2012 at 07:31 PM.

I have a huskvarna mega quilter, Juki has one, babylock,and brother and I am sure there are others.

Best machine all around IMHO.

http://www.thequiltingsolution.com/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast