Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Why has this happened, what can I do? >
  • Why has this happened, what can I do?

• Why has this happened, what can I do?

Old 10-06-2017, 11:03 AM

No quilting expert but it looks great. Always thought they were supposed to do that after washing.
    Old 10-06-2017, 04:05 PM

Stick that thing in a washer with hot water and then in a dryer. That should do it.

This is being said in jest from a wise acre but that's really what I'd do. I really do like your quilt.

Last edited by noahscats7; 10-06-2017 at 04:11 PM.
    Old 10-06-2017, 04:23 PM

I love your quilt. I wouldn't try adding to the quilting; it would be hard to add without changing the look.

I think the slight crinkle is beautiful, but if you really don't like it, you could try ironing it. You should be able to get it very flat. You said you like the back; could you show us a picture of it for reference?

Since you wanted to gift it, I would definitely go ahead and do that. Trust us all - it's gorgeous! The recipient will love it, and not think twice about the crinkling. Another option that has worked for me in the past is to put it in the closet for a couple years. Things that are horribly disappointing sometimes become much better after some time, when your original vision isn't as firm in your memory. Then you can appreciate it for the beauty it has, rather than comparing it to some image of what I wanted. I think it's truly lovely just as it is.
    Old 10-06-2017, 07:14 PM

I, too, think it is beautiful just the way it is. If you decide to gift it, don't say a word about your concern with the puffy look. No one would think anything about it, and there is no need for the "giftee" to know you aren't happy with it.
    We should never point out mistakes in our work. It's hand made, and it's perfect.
    Old 10-06-2017, 09:12 PM

Thankyou again everyone. All opinions most appreciated and mulled over!
    Old 10-06-2017, 09:31 PM

I agree it sounds like you did everything you should have. I don't know if this is a factor or not, but you didn't mention whether or not you wore quilting gloves or if you held your hands in a "hoop" shape to flatten the fabric. I think I would give it a good pressing and call it a day.
    Old 10-06-2017, 11:45 PM

Yes Claire, quilting gloves and hand hoops too! It all looked quite flat whilst I was quilting it was just after it was all done. My batting 60/40 poly/cotton pre-shrunk so no culprit there. It probly is just that I am not used to this sort of open pattern. I will do some more quilting if i can just figure out a little motif or sorts that I can do. Thanks.
    Old 10-07-2017, 02:41 AM

I think it is fine. However, I took a similar problem to a very accomplished quilter friend and this was her advice. Pin a thin blanket to the floor very tightly. Pin your quilt as tightly as you can over that. Make sure it is square. And then just iron it with steam. Some of the extra fabric will disappear if you have prewashed. I have done this successfully. Let your quilt stay pinned for a day. Then if you need to add more quilting, etc., it will be at least easier to do. Hope this helps.
    Old 10-07-2017, 07:06 AM
    Power Poster

I don't like flat as a board quilts. They are great for show quilts but not for real use quilts. The quilts I've had professionally LA they are so flat and smooth the corners don't fall over unless manually pushed. No one in the family like those stiff quilt at all. A nice cozy quilt with a little crinkle and lots of soft is what my family thinks a quilt should be.
    Old 10-07-2017, 08:03 AM

Ruby2shoes, Don’t remove the quilting you have already done. The only thing this quilt needs is more quilting. You can still do this with the binding on. No need to take out stitches or re-do the binding! Just add a smaller meander (or a bigger stipple) in the open areas. The closeness of the quilting is what is going to hold a quilt together for many many years. It does not have to be stiff as a board, but it must be a little more dense. Give it some more quilting and you will see the “bumpyness” disappear. Hope you post a photo again after you have added more quilting.
    Ellen