Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why is my block not square? >

Why is my block not square?

Why is my block not square?

Old 04-15-2012, 03:46 AM
Power Poster

My DH is an engineer and has been very helpful to me in every way when it comes to templates and piecing. He just reminded me of the following point he always makes to me. When making a square with many pieces in it, all you have to be off is 1/32" (maybe the thickness of a credit card) on each seam and when you get done doing 4 pieces, you are off 1/8". Miniscule errors in measurement multiply themselves. Don't know if I am explaining it right but here it is another way. If I am off 1/32" on a seam, you have to multiply it by 2 because you are off 1/32" on each piece that is sewn together. Now, instead of being off 1/32" on a seam, I am off 1/16" for the two pieces, etc. Hope this helps. Now, I just wanted to say, your points are so accurate. You did a great job and I love your block.

Last edited by twinkie; 04-15-2012 at 03:48 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:03 AM

I know pressing has a lot to do with it, as mentioned. My problem was that I stretched it as I ironed and the square was too big.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

I think it ollks pretty good. Dare you square it up with a slight trim without making matters worse?
Old 04-15-2012, 05:29 AM

i agree w/ being off a scant amount will multiply, but can you stretch it out? I have been successful with that often times.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:18 AM

I am a "beginner" and let me just tell you how I have finally gotten my blocks to measure correctly. It is a trick my teacher's mother taught her for 1/4" seams and she has shared it with us, novices. First you need some mole skin, which can be found with the Dr.Scholls products. Then we measured from needle to scant 1/4" seam allowance and placed the mole skin along that edge. Now we used this fantastic ruler that has a hole in it - where you insert your needle make sure it is straigt and lay down the mole skin. The sticky side stays and does not gum up your machine surface. I finally am getting a 12 1/2" block instead of a 12 x 12 1/4. It is amazing how much a scant 1/4" can add up to in mistakes. Good luck.
Also, remember pressing is placing the iron on the seam, not moving it back and forth as in ironing.

Last edited by MartiMorga; 04-15-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:30 AM

I may be all wet here, but isn't that the reason we square up blocks as we go. It looks to me that if you lay your ruler along one side, being very careful to leave a l/4 from the edge of your material and the points then trim, it would take care of the extra length in the middle square. That is the only place that looks like it needs trimming. Material is pliable, therefore, it could be that your machine handled it a little differently, the material is a different weave, any number of things. I don't think any two materials are alike, similar maybe, but not the same. If you have done everything everyone else suggested then you have a good block. I think you are doing great.
I understand as a beginner quilter you want to learn and "get things right". But remember, this is supposed to be fun so don't be too critical of yourself. Enjoy.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:55 AM

Conniemaried, I love that block and your points are perfect. Do you mind telling what the name of your block is? I just made a 25-patch 12.5" block yesterday that has the same hst pieces on the outside. The name of mine is Bright Jewel. My pattern called for cutting 2-7/8" for the plain squares. I always cut the hst and qst bigger so I have plenty of room to square them up. I have learned that when I make a hst or qst block piece, no matter what the size, I square up each piece to what it needs to be before laying out the block and I sew the pieces in rows. I quit using steam for my pressing, and now use finger pressing as much as possible so that when I do press, I just set the iron down on top and don't move it around. I also use Best Press starch. I find it is worth the money. I also use a SCANT 1/4" seam on all my blocks. If it was my block, I would take it totally apart and remeasure, and square up each piece before sewing it in rows and then sewing the rows together.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:26 AM
Banned

well, for a trial run, it sure is nice...I think once you compensate for all those intersections, you will do fine!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:26 AM

Block is beautiful. No answers to what to correct. I say leave as is and it will probably all work out in the end.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:42 AM

I find when my strips and blocks don't match up to size, it is usually because I did not line up the points. Start from the center blocks and move your eyes out. If you notice any points that do not match up, maybe there is a way to rip out a few seams and fix it. Your top yellow/blue block the yellow seamed corners don't meet the two on the sides. It does help to have a small ruler and constantly measure the blocks as you sew. Measurement is off, then you may need to adjust the seams.