Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Why is my rotary cutter not working for me ? >
  • Why is my rotary cutter not working for me ?

• Why is my rotary cutter not working for me ?

Old 02-23-2023, 05:23 PM

Get ruler in place. Start in center then cut to top. Hold position then start at bottom & cut to center. It works for me.
    Old 02-24-2023, 03:36 AM

Make sure you have only one blade in the rotary cutter. Sometimes having 2 blades by mistake can cause this problem.
    Old 02-24-2023, 04:09 AM

If you've used the cutter a lot it might have a lot of lint on the blade. Take it apart and clean it, I put a little drop of oil on mine and cut some scrap fabric before I use it on my project fabric.
    Old 02-24-2023, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    I took a class a long time ago from Omnigrid rep. She had us cut with different size rotary cutters. I found I liked the 18 mm size the best. I had more control and no problem at all going through four layers of fabric. And the blade are much less expensive. I liked the Clover brand the best for the small cutter. I do use the 45 mm but when I go back to the 18 I wonder why I have the 45.
    I started out with an 18 mm one, too, and eventually "graduated" to 45 mm. I still go back to my 18mm now and then. Somehow I have better control over it as my hands become more arthritic with age.
    Old 02-24-2023, 05:05 AM

I use all three sizes. The 28mm I use for cutting off the fabric dogears and small cuts like squaring small blocks, the 45mm I use the most, and the 60mm I use when I am cutting multiple layers of batting as the center screw area is higher and doesn't rub along my ruler.
    Old 02-24-2023, 07:10 AM

is it the martelli? I had the same problem with that one, it 'felt' like the blade wobbled in the cutter. I had a show vendor show me how to use it, but after 40+ years of rotary cutting I couldn't seem to change how I hold my hand. It is long gone from my quilt room now.
    Old 02-24-2023, 07:12 AM
    Power Poster

Another tip- make sure you only have one blade in the cutter. I've mistakenly had 2 at a time on several occasions!
    Old 02-24-2023, 07:53 AM

I have to really concentrate on keeping my cutter in contact with the ruler in the middle of the cut. Would slowing down help? I don't cut as fast as I've seen people cut on videos.
    Old 02-24-2023, 08:04 AM

I have a couple of kinds of rotatory cutters. sometimes one just doesn't suit your hand! But it does take some practice to find out how much pressure to use and how to hold your hand and how to position yourself. Also, you don't want to tighten the screw too much. The blade should easily roll when you push the cutter along your cutting board without have to press down very hard at all. But it should be tightened enough that it doesn't wobble and yep, sadly, sharp blades really do help. The sadly part is about the cost of the blades these days. Yep, and I agree about trying to make too long a cut without repositioning. The end of a long cut is usually where I get my wobbles. So, I do try and reposition my ruler holding hand so there is more stability Actually, I now use my Accuquilt go cutter whenever I can. Oh, and I am liking my Stripology ruler more and more because that ruler doesn't move as easily as my regular rules although I do have to take care that I am not pushing on one side of the slit too much so my cuts are accurate.
    Old 02-24-2023, 08:12 AM

OK, blade tightened @Tartan
    will try " itsy bits spider ,as recommended by @Peckish
    video watched @Rhonda , I do use the same cutter shown on the video, e and will try the other side of the mat, now I feel totally pumped and now I have to go make lunch, darn

one thing that came up in the video, is a muscle street at certain age, since I am at that age and beyond, although it's not the ruler that moves it's may "cutter hand" that bears off, but at this point I am working white knuckled with fear, which probably doesn't help. Never mind several layers, I would be happy id I could cut one.