Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why not pre-wash fabric? >

Why not pre-wash fabric?

Why not pre-wash fabric?

Old 07-01-2015, 06:29 AM

I think it would be better to either pre-wash everything, or not pre-wash anything, rather than just pre-washing the red. I've heard many people say that they prefer not to pre-wash applique fabrics because the unwashed fabrics fray less. I'm a pre-washer and haven't had trouble appliqueing with prewashed fabric. Some people simply prefer the feel of the unwashed fabric. If you usually pre-wash, I see no reason why you shouldn't pre-wash the fabrics for this quilt.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:34 AM

I prewash everything except pre-cuts.....and I rarely buy precuts. When I figured out the cost per yard with pre-cuts....I can't afford them. I prewash because if the color is going to run or the fabric shrink, I want that to happen before I use it in a quilt.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

I prewash everything for same allergen reasons and I have seen rude customers who don't mind using fabric on a back row to wipe their sweaty bodies. You have no idea whose hands have been where and then they touch the fabric. I have washed precuts and just throw those into a mesh laundry bag. If you only have a few a pan or sink with soap in it will work.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:46 AM

I wash when I have the time. I just wish I had washed a red fabric I used in a lone star quilt. The white is now a delicate pink. So I would say if it is for a competition wash so if it gets wet the colours won't run and spoil your quilt.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
do what makes you happy.
For real, this is the MOST important thing! Love the quilt in your avatar, sew cute! Good Luck and have some quilty fun!
Old 07-01-2015, 05:19 PM

It depends on the show, some do request it not be washed. Not all shows are the same, so I would read all the rules of the show or shows you plan to enter before beginning a quilt. When I just started looking at a few I was surprised of all the rules
Old 07-01-2015, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

How would a judge tell unwashed fabric from washed fabric that had been starched/sized?
Old 07-01-2015, 05:30 PM

I agree, pre wash or not pre wash all the fabrics just not one.

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I think it would be better to either pre-wash everything, or not pre-wash anything, rather than just pre-washing the red. I've heard many people say that they prefer not to pre-wash applique fabrics because the unwashed fabrics fray less. I'm a pre-washer and haven't had trouble appliqueing with prewashed fabric. Some people simply prefer the feel of the unwashed fabric. If you usually pre-wash, I see no reason why you shouldn't pre-wash the fabrics for this quilt.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:44 PM

Wow! So many replies ... thank you all so very much! I feel much better now about pre-washing my fabrics. I have bought fabrics at this quilt shop once before, from this same line, and found them to hold up very, very well to washing. Honestly, I almost never work with reproduction fabrics because I don't have much use for them but the quality of the actual fabric is the best I've worked with (I usually love Robert Kaufman fabrics & use his line exclusively except for an occasional Moda Bella solid -- nothing wrong with other lines, it just helps me to match colors).

I thought it would be fun to work with 1930's reproduction fabrics since I'm making a single-Irish chain Sunbonnet Sue quilt. I normally wash & press all my fabrics as soon as I get home from the store. Maybe the lady just thought I would prefer saving the time of washing and pressing everything; I don't know. I'm just going to go ahead and wash everything and not worry about it. It's my time and my quilt and since it won't affect the final look of the quilt, I'm going to just do what makes me happy.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:01 AM

I found out the hard way that if you're doing fusible applique it's better to wash the fabric first. Had lots of trouble getting the fusible to stick to the material when I tried to use it unwashed. Otherwise, I do not wash my fabric prior to using it in a quilt.