Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Why now!?!?!?!

Why now!?!?!?!

My daughter wants quilts blocks available at her wedding for guests to sign and make a signature quilt with. Yesterday I got about 1/4 of the way into piecing them and something happened to by dear work-horse Bernina 930. I wasn't even sewing and heard a small snap and smoke started coming out of the motor area. I quickly unplugged everything and the smoke soon quit. So I'm headed to the repair shop (one hour away) this morning. Anything like this happened to your machines?

Not only do I have the quilt blocks to finish before Feb. 11. I need to do some alterations on most of the bridesmaid dresses, hem the brides, make ring bearer pillows, etc. Grrr!!! Why didn't it wait 'til I was finished with this stuff! Fortunately I have a sewing friend with an extra machine to loan me, but I like working on MINE! Wish me well!
    Thimble and Thread

I'm SSSOOOOOOO thankful I was sitting at the machine when it happened. If I had been in the kitchen checking dinner, who knows what would have happened. Thank God for His protection!
    Thimble and Thread

Bless your heart. I'm soooo glad you were there to catch it in time. {{{{{HUGS}}}} and blessings to you
    Happiness is a form of travel...not a destination.

Blog Entries
    Absolutely thank the Lord for his protection. I also am glad you were sitting there. My machine is acting up and I am trying to finish a baby quilt for TOMORROW. I guess I need to get a backup machine.
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

Blog Entries
    Things always seem to happen at the most inopportune moment!
    I hope it's something that can be fixed fairly ealy (cheaply).

Look at it this way... it's one more memory for the wedding scrapbook!!
    ~~Fabric Resource Center...now does that sound more impressive than "Fabric Junkie" ?~~

Blog Entries
    I too thank the Lord you were sitting there. I think I need to get a backup machine because it seems that every time I am on a timetable mine chooses to act up. It is nice that you have a friend close to loan you another.
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

you are deffinatly blessed have been able to catch it. maybe you can get a loaner machine while yours is in the shop.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

Blog Entries
    And some people wonder why some of us "need" more than one machine! So sorry about your sick baby, but thank goodness you caught it and it wasn't an even more tragic loss!

WOW He was watching over you - if it HAD to break and smoke, thank God you were right there to hopefully minimize the damage.

I hope your baby's doctor can fix it for you today!!!! Good luck.
    Carrie, Queen of the Seam Rippers!

Oh dear. This happened to me also. I was putting the binding on my nephew's wedding quilt and my trusty Pfaff started smoking then just seized up. The motor has seized up and there was nothing to do to fix it. The repairman told me it was a boat anchor. So I had to buy a new one. Oh darn! I got a new Pfaff Creative 4.0. I love this machine. I do miss my old machine because it had such memories attached to it. I sewed all my daughter's clothes and costumes on that machine.
    Marie

Power Poster
    Of course it happens when you're on a deadline! I hope your baby is fixable. (((HUGS)))

Everything will work out fine. Take deep breaths and enjoy the wedding preparations. I'm so happy you have a friend's machine for back up.

Blog Entries
    My old Pfaff died on me while I was making a quilt for my DS for her 60th birthday and I was told it was not able to be repaired. I bought a Viking Sapphire and I love it. I was able to finish the quilt on time and she loved it. I am so glad I did that though she just gave me a months notice that was what she wanted!!!! Sadly, it turned out to be her last birthday.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I had this happen to me! It was awful, I feel for you. my machine was not fixable, so old they didn't nake parts for it anymore. LOL I had burned up the motor, they couldn't even rebuild the motor.Maybe this is a sign you need a new machine?

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I have two of the same exact machines just in case... I shudder to think if I ever had to be machine-less.. even for an hr..

Sending good wishes that your baby comes back fixed and purring like a kitten..

I am so glad you were around when this happened to your machine. There could have been a fire. Best of luck on getting it repaired quickly. I love your daughter's idea for the wedding quilt.

Love your avatar!!

You probably have burned out your motor. This happened to my Bernina 830 Record and a new motor was expensive but I had stitched on it for 25 years so I guess it was no wonder. Good luck with all of your stitching.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

It is Murphy's law in action. The good Lord does watch over us. "When the Lord closes one door, it is only to open another better door. But sometimes we spend so much time looking at the closed door that we miss the open one" (Helen Keller) So always look to the bright side.
    Linda
    Let every day be the best day of your life!

Good news...it was an $8 capacitor that burned out. (I don't know if it would have caught fire or if the smoke was just a brief part of it burning out. I forgot to ask the repair guy.) Since they had the part in stock and were pretty much caught up with their repair work, I was able to take it home with me yesterday. What a blessing, since it's an hour away. Just had a good excuse to spend a couple of hours at a nearby Joanne's while I waited. It needed a cleaning anyway, (I was planning to take it in March). So for the price of a cleaning plus the $8 part, I feel like I have a new machine. He said that capacitor often burns out at about 25 yrs. and mine is 28 yrs. old. He also said that Bernina 930 is the best machine ever made. I love my little workhorse! She sews through anything I ask her to and never skips a stitch. :-)
    Thimble and Thread

Senior Member quilter in the making's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Glad your story has a good outcome and you will be able to continue with all your projects. My main machine broke right before Christmas and now my backup machine broke the other night. For now I am without any working machine. Unfortunately both of my machines are Babylock embroidery machines and both are out of warranty, so I have no clue how much it's going to cost me to have them repaired or if they are capable of being repaired. Am looking into a new machine to be used for my quilting so that I can reserve the Babylocks to embroidery work, but not sure I can convince DH I need an additional machine. I bought my Babylocks prior to our marriage so he had no input. Congrats on your daughter's upcoming wedding!

My machine went to the repair shop yesterday. It quit the last day of our retreat. I feel kinda lost. I don't have a backup. Might have to clean house instead of sewing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slstitcher View Post
    My machine went to the repair shop yesterday. It quit the last day of our retreat. I feel kinda lost. I don't have a backup. Might have to clean house instead of sewing.
    Bite your tongue !!!!!!! if our vacummes hear that they will sabatage our darling sewing machines

I love a happy ending!

I would suggest that you ..... phone a friend or a group of friends to get some help! What better way to build relationships and have a bit of fun that to accept the help of a fellow quilter or two. Think olden days when women gathered for work days, quilting bees and spring cleaning parties. I'd come but Alabama and Michigan are much more than next door neighbors. Tee-Hee!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast