Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent) >

Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent)

Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent)

Old 03-05-2010, 03:46 PM

I shop often at JoAnns. You have to be careful to read the coupons and also to check the ad or signs to make sure what you want is NOT on sale. As for material that we also have to check out they have some that is nice and then there is other. I am a Sr and you all know what they have done to us. Congress gets a big raise we get nothing for two years. Of course they raised the Medicare and will raise it again next year. Not to mention Insurance and Drugs going up. I just limits the buying power of us, but I guess we did not pay enough dues along the way. Sorry for venting. We have some great girls at our JoAnns that are very helpful and knowledgeable, but I did get a job there I did not take it because of what they wanted for what they were willing to pay.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:32 PM

So,there's a Joann's right on my way to and from work. I like to get notions there, interfacting etc. I usually don't buy much fabric there but used to when I was starting out.
Last night, I took one of those big pads of scrapbooking paper to the cash register. The woman told me that it would go on sale on Sunday for a really great price. I was thankful.
Everyone who works there is courteous and helpful. I'll be there on Sunday to get my paper early!
Old 03-10-2010, 06:51 AM

I will try eBay too for the blades. Never would have thought of it.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:57 AM

I went to Walmart the other day and ask the lady in the fabric department if they had stabilizer. She said "What's that".
Old 03-10-2010, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by shaverg
Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
(this reference was in response to someone saying that the cutter at joanns only cuts 36 inches when you ask for a yard... how many FREE inches should the cutter give you? and WHO pays for this FREE yardage? (--and if they are being shorted, thats wrong too...and should be corrected....)
Actually, usually you get an inch or two over to allow for the straight of grain, I haven't been to a fabric store yet that every cut was straight. They don't measure and straighten like we do when we sew. They lay it down cut it with a pair scissors or really fast with a rotary cutter, not exact, even with that slit in their table. I bet if I measured every piece of yardage in my stash 99% of it would be 1-2" over a yard. Not asking for enough to make a quilt, just an inch or two for possible previous cutting errors.
and shrinkage when prewashed would be nice. Very frustrating to prewash and then not have enough fabric:(
Old 03-11-2010, 04:44 PM

I very rarely buy the FQ's at Joann's - after I open them up, I feel the fabric is a cheaper quality. I like the FQ's from my LQS - they are right off the bolt and if they don't have a FQ in the fabric you want, they will cut it for you! Now that is service.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:19 PM

I agree with Lacey, it is frustrating to deal with coupons and the dates and walk in and find one cannot apply the 40% to whatever we planned to buy - but - now I call before I leave and ask if item is on sale and make sure my discount is good. Since I live 40 miles one way and 50 another to a Joann's, I try to make my gas dollars good and combine shopping.

Which reminds me I need sticky 3/8" bias for stain glass block this coming week - I don't think they carry it but will call to find out. Oh, I have re-measured my own fabric many times. There are two gals that always short me
so I measure and pin before I have her measure and cut. It works for me as I live too far for an oops am an inch or two short.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:15 AM

I don't care where you shop today you're going to run into sales people who just don't care. It could be Macy's, Penney's, Dillards, your LQS, or, yes, even JoAnn's. I've been a JoAnn's shopper for years and I love the stores. Yes, some of their fabric is less than what I would use, but most is as good as what I buy at the LQS. Look at the fabric before you buy it an remember that "good" and "cheap" are not synonomous. If someone is rude with you, stop them in their tracks and demand that someone else take care of you. Kudos to those who check their sales checks before they leave the store (expecially at WalMart). I don't leave any place where I'm spending my hard earned money without checking my receipt first. Didn't mean to say to much, just wanted to say that there's good and bad everywhere today, not just at JoAnn's.