Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: why paper piecing

Hi everyone,

I know there are quite a few on this board who do paper piecing. Because I was curious I picked up a book at the library by Carol Doak on paper piecing last night.

What I wondered is what is paper piecing and why do it?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    With paper piecing, it is possible to achieve perfect points/seams and very intricate patterns that could be almost impossible with regular piecing. It is a little difficult to grasp in the beginning, but when you finally have that "light bulb" moment, it can become highly addictive!

Quote Originally Posted by scowlkat
    With paper piecing, it is possible to achieve perfect points/seams and very intricate patterns that could be almost impossible with regular piecing. It is a little difficult to grasp in the beginning, but when you finally have that "light bulb" moment, it can become highly addictive!
    That is what o was told too and there are some really sharp points that you just can't get when doing normal piecing

Quote Originally Posted by scowlkat
    Yes, I just downloaded a free pattern for corn on the cob that is 3 X 6 with 13 pieces.

Check out the pics of the house and star BOM here on the board.....there are some beautiful P/P blocks

Quote Originally Posted by hsquiltingmom
    Hi everyone,

I know there are quite a few on this board who do paper piecing. Because I was curious I picked up a book at the library by Carol Doak on paper piecing last night.

Thanks

Extremely pointy points & you don't have to worry about bias edges because the paper stabilizes everything. Check out Judy Neimeyer and Karen Stone. Judy's quilts will blow your mind and Karen's are nothing to sneeze at, either.

Jodie Davis has a whole bunch of different birds that are very realistic looking and Ula Lenz http://www.lenzula.com has a nice BOM going on now.

There are also some incredible stained glass quilts done with paper piecing.

It's kind of like painting by number. I think there is even a company called piece by number.

Blog Entries
    You are able to sew the smallest tiniest things, which otherwise would have been to difficult.

Blog Entries
    It allows you to piece precisely in ways that is almost impossible to achieve using more traditional methods. :D:D:D

It just makes all your points and seems dead on perfect! Once you get the hang of it, you'll be hooked!

for me, it's just a different way of quilting. I used English paper piecing method. I just need to get back to it & finish that top!

I love the precision, and its also a great way to use up the tiniest of scraps!

With P/P you can achieve what appears to be the impossible. I have been doing it for quite sometime... but each and every time I am amazed !

Quote Originally Posted by hsquiltingmom
    Hi everyone,

Thanks
    I started to PP in Jan. when I joined the BOM's here for the houses and stars. Well in the beginning I thought I would pull my hair out trying to figure it out. Those "learning days" got me thru quite a few snowstorms let me tell you. Once the "light" went on in my brain I realized I loved it. It takes me longer to PP a block than if I just did regular piecing but I'm sure I'll get faster at it. Give it a try!!

I truly enjoy p/p for all of the above reasons. It lets the mind wander and you get some fantastic comments: "How DID you DO that?" Of course, then you get to spend the next half hour explaining the method to someone who's eyes have glazed over in the first 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    I truly enjoy p/p for all of the above reasons. It lets the mind wander and you get some fantastic comments: "How DID you DO that?" Of course, then you get to spend the next half hour explaining the method to someone who's eyes have glazed over in the first 30 seconds.
    When you see their eyes start glazing over, just apologize & say that you used a special magic spell....

:twisted:

It is a lot of fun th pp and you a more acurate point. I just got a pp for sunbonnet sue and overall sam can't wait to do some of them

Quote Originally Posted by redkimba
    Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    When you see their eyes start glazing over, just apologize & say that you used a special magic spell....

:twisted:
    I keep forgetting that I am magical. Thanks for the reminder. ;)

I love paper piecing, the complexity of the designs you can do are so varied. What I don't like is the mess it makes. Oh well, I guess you can't have it all.

Quote Originally Posted by darlin121
    I love paper piecing, the complexity of the designs you can do are so varied. What I don't like is the mess it makes. Oh well, I guess you can't have it all.
    Looking at all the itty bitty fabric bits, batting and threads all over my office floor right now, I don't think paper piecing is any more messy but there's no paper on the floor right now so I could be wrong :mrgreen:

pp is fun and comes out great....

The main benefit is the ability to get perfect points. Even if you get "good" points, you'd be surprised with the result if done by paper piecing.- Foolproof. Carol Doak is the best in the field.
    Try it,

Aside from the precision points, if you are involved with group quilting and have people of varying skill, I've found PP gives you more of a chance at accurately sized blocks. Maybe I should say it might give you a chance at more accurately sized blocks. For myself, I have moments when my eyes glaze over just doing it (never a good sign!!) Have a great day!

Accuracy and ability to work with very small pieces. You also have less trouble with stretching.

Because when you are done it is perfect, all points are there, no cut off. Everything matches where it is suppose to.

accuracy---thats the main reason I will paper piece something. Mostly with really sharp points (and a lot of them) or a mini.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast