Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why the prejudice against polyester and poly/cotton blends? >

Why the prejudice against polyester and poly/cotton blends?

Why the prejudice against polyester and poly/cotton blends?

Old 08-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Power Poster

There is nothing against it. I do not like the feel of many none cotton fabrics. I also did notice that the quilts I mixed cottons and poly cotton (Hawaiian prints) the poly cotton did not wear well and looks and feels less then the cottons in the quilt. My son loves that quilt though so it didn't matter and I got to use the cute prints. Also some of my children love the feel of the polyester those mumus are made with. I wished I felt comfortable enough to sew with that slippery stuff because I know it would mean a lot to them. They grew up in the islands and all the mamas and aunties wore those mumus.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:33 PM

P.S. In two of the older history quilting books I read in the 18oo's a girl needed 13 quilts of her own before she could marry. Do you think she went and brought what we call quilter's material, or just what the store had?
Old 08-03-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by GloBug
Originally Posted by mom-6
Ok, I've been sewing forever and a week and have used all sorts of fabrics for all sorts of purposes.

Why is there such a definite prejudice among quilters against polyester and poly/cotton blends?

Is it a matter of 'staying true to our roots' or something else?

Or is it related to different ironing temperature required if you are going to use fusible web for applique?

So far I haven't encountered any noticeable difficulties using fabrics of unknown fiber content in my quilts (some of which I suspect are 100% polyester), so I wondered what is going on.
If some think they are keeping to their roots, They need to look at quilts made during the depression any fabric that they could get was used,old clothing that had areas that were in good shape,new fabric if they had scraps , they were not concerned about fiber content. So I don't see what differance fabric content makes as long as the weight is the same.
Unless you were wealthy or saved up your pennies for cotton calicos, you made quilts from worn clothing and sewing scraps.
Quilters used what they had - cottons, wools and silks, all natural fibers. After WWI there were acetates and rayons (wood-pulp base)
There are no polyester fabrics in pre-1950's quilts, as polyester fabrics and blends were not made until the mid 50's and later.
I have a polyester double knit patch quilt DH's grandma made in 1970 - countless kids have used it in 40 yrs, and it's still good for a picnic quilt. It's indestructible and will outlive us all ! :roll:
Old 08-03-2011, 12:26 PM

I just do not like the way they feel or look.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by nnewman
I just do not like the way they feel or look.
You can tell from a distance if a fabric is 100% cotton or Poly/Cotton blend?
Old 08-05-2011, 05:37 PM

I think it is a matter of personal taste. I like the natural fibers..they breathe. I also think they lay nicer and dont pill.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:25 PM

I was given some polyster/cotton. I used it as it was the most beautiful shade of blue. My friend returned the pillow sham for repair as the fabric did not hold up. (replaced the blue with cotton) I made a quilt our of polycotton which I gave to my daughter. After much use and washings she asked me if it could be repaired. This is what I have run into, Take your chances. I'll stick to cotton.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

My .02 I do not like working with cotton poly blends when piecing. As a previous poster wrote, cotton is more forgiving and can be eased in or streched into place. I can not be bothered with adjusting my iron down to a lower temp when mixing a blend with 100% and in my early days did end up "glazing" (putting a shine and almost melting) the blend when piecing. Poly blends do not take a crease as easily when pressing and often fight me. I quilt because I enjoy the process but don't like working with blends so I avoid them. I do however love poly threads and battings.