Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why should I pin my borders? >

Why should I pin my borders?

Why should I pin my borders?

Old 02-06-2016, 07:59 AM

Thanks!!

Katie - That's actually the method I used for the times I pinned. It was indeed pretty simple but when all was said and done, I didn't notice an improvement in my little quilts.

Feline - Wow, I've never had one as bad as your pictures! I appreciate your explanation. I thought my success may somewhat be attributed to my smaller sized quilts. You agreed. If I ever make something larger, I'll have to be more careful.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:17 AM

I have done the measure and average for years, and still every once in a while have a wavy border, Thank you Katier 825 for Bonnie Hunter site information, makes since, will try it on my next big quilt.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
The reason to pin your borders is to prevent the seams in the pieced top from stretching unevenly. You have been lucky that you haven't had wavy border after quilting. I like nice flat borders and a perfectly square quilt.
I couldn't have said it any better than Tartan did. You are lucky not to have wavy borders that won't lay flat win you baste the layers together.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:22 AM

I only pin the beginning and 6" down, then sew and move the 6" pin as I go. Works for me, too!
Old 02-06-2016, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
The reason to pin your borders is to prevent the seams in the pieced top from stretching unevenly. You have been lucky that you haven't had wavy border after quilting. I like nice flat borders and a perfectly square quilt.
The borders should be measured so they are the length of the middle of the quilt and the edges which could easily be stretched should fit to the length of the border not the other way around.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:09 PM

Feline did a great job of explaining why it's important to average and pin your borders. Even though I long arm, I sometimes get lazy when it comes to little projects that I won't be entering into a show--like a table topper that I know will be washed a ton and don't bother--but I've learned the hard way on my own quilts and customers the problems with those wavy borders--and am always surprised when my own quilt averages are so off! It's convinced me that I have to square up not only blocks, but parts of blocks, the center of the quilt, then again after I get borders on, and then I do another square up check before I put binding on--if it's still a little off and the use for it means I need it really square, I'll block it before binding.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:07 PM

The length of border is decided by measuring the length down middle of quilt. Then fold border in have and side of quilt in half and pin the two together. Take ends of border to end of quilts and pin both together. Keep these 3 pins in all the time, don't move them and ease the border and quilt together with pins. This method also helps to square up the quilt. Don't forget opposite sides are exactly same length.
pinning essential to easing two together.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:00 AM

Katie, thanks for posting the link to Bonnie Hunter's borders. I do measure through the middle in each direction to get my border measurements on larger quilts so my quilts come up taught and square. I didn't used to measure for crib or baby quilts but I recently had a wavy border problem on a crib quilt... and for whatever reason, I had trimmed my backing and batting prematurely before quilting it on my DSM and really fowled myself up.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:25 AM

To get the correct length for borders, you should measure across the middle of the quilt because your edges may have been stretched in the piecing process. Then you pin your border, easing the edges to fit; however, if you are satisfied with the results you have been getting, continue to do it you way.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:05 AM

I think the above photos tell the whole story.The problem was greater because of all those bias edges; but, most quilts have at least some bias edges. In addition, the feed dogs pull the fabric on the underneath side slightly more than the top side and this does cause distortion if not controlled by pins. If you want to do a test, take two pieces of fabric the same length and feed them through the machine w/o pins; at the end of the seam they will not be even. Pins help you be in control. Crosswise cuts are also more stretch prone than lengthwise cuts. The best outcomes come from accuracy and control at every step.