Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why so few red batiks?

Info from an AQS quilt appraiser who spoke Monday at my guild meeting:
    If you get blood on your quilt, use your own saliva to wet it. Then run under cold water. Make a gooey paste from a bar of fels naptha soap to wash out spot.

Washing the Quilt: A quilt should not be laundered unless absolutely needed. Washing a quilt every 6 months for 10 years will wear out the quilt.

Test spots of quilt for colorfastness using cold water. Wash bed quilt in clean bathtub. Place bedsheet in tub. Fill tub with lukewarm/cool water. Submerge quilt and soak for 10 minutes to open all the fibers in the batting. Agitate quilt with hands. Add Orvus quilt soap or Ivory dish soap (handwashing soap not dishwasher machine soap). Agitate quilt with hands. Push the quilt to the top of the bathtub to drain. Push out water by pressing against the side of the tub. Add water to tub and rinse until water comes clean. Push quilt to top of tub to drain. Lift the quilt out of the tub with the bedsheet. (Lifting without the sheet can break threads.)

In summer lay bedsheet outside on grass on a breezy 85 degree day. Put wet quilt right side down on sheet. Lay another sheet on top. Leave until mostly dry except for edges. finish drying in the house spread over a sofa/chair for 48 hours. Never agitate in washing machine. Don't put in dryer. You can let a quilt soak in the machine, add soap (Orvus or Ivory hand dish soap) and agitate by hand, spin out water, rinse, and spin out water. Just don't let it agitate. The judge said that spinning won't hurt the quilt.

The AQS quilt appraiser was Linda Honsberger. She is from Wisconsin. She gave two excellent programs (morning and evening meetings). I highly recommend her.

http://lindahonsberger.com/

Ebay has a lot of red batiks. Some really pretty ones.

Try this site: http://quiltshops.com/

You can search 200 quilt stores at once.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    Try Seawatch Fabrics.

http://www.seawatchfabrics.com/
    Oh. My. Gosh. Thank you!!! What a fantastic site! I can see what I'll be doing at naptime today! :D
    I love this site for their batiks and Asian fabrics. I try not to go there too often 'cuz I'm on a budget! :D

Try this place, it's all batiks. www.fabricfanatics.com

Rhonda

I know reds are difficult to find, so I brought back several from Bali. Send me a PM if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by icon17
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
    I have a new pattern I want to get started on but it appears I chose the wrong color and fabric type combo. I want to do it in an assortment of red batiks but I'm having a heck of a time finding reds. I never realized the majority of batiks were in blues and greens, but that appears to be the case. I can find a few 1895's and mottles in reds but I want some with designs too. I have shopped several times with batiksplus.com and really like them, but their site is impossible to search by color so you have to click on each different fabric to see what colors it comes in. I gave up on that. I tried fabric.com, thousandsofbolts.com and HOP, but not very much on any of them. I'm gonna wait 'til this weekend and try my LQS and another quilt shop that's out of town. Hopefully between the two of them I can collect up enough reds and avoiding a bunch of shipping charges.

Hate to think I might have to change my plans. :P

Oops, this is in the wrong section. Mods can you move this please? :oops:
    Hi, After you find your Red Batiks make a Extra effort to Set the dyes, I've also heard that salt/vinegar don't work to set the new dyes.
    8-)
    Vinegar alone does work; no salt. I just tried it on a black print piece of fabric. Back in the '60s when madras plaids were so popular, instructions were to soak in vinegar water before washing. Anyway, I wash preparing for a tee shirt quilt class last Friday and we were instructed to rinse all of our FQ's in clear water until dye disappears. Not much problem with that but the black printed fabric I have for the outside border continued to fade with every rinse until I finally remember the old vinegar thing. So after about 8 rinses that were still coming out with dye, the next one with about 1/3 cup of vinegar did the trick and the water stayed cleared. I even super swished it around and still the water stayed clear. Never added salt, just vinegar.
    Vernell in Austiin

Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrio
    check A THOUSAND BOLTS great selection good prices. no connection, just love the online store
    Um, she posted that she already checked with A Thousand Bolts. ;-)
    OP said she tried Batiks plus in the original post not Thousands of Bolts.

Try batiks.com. The store is batiks etc and sew what fabrics, they have reds and when they are on sale they aer pretty good sales

Quote Originally Posted by vschieve
    Quote Originally Posted by icon17
    Hi, After you find your Red Batiks make a Extra effort to Set the dyes, I've also heard that salt/vinegar don't work to set the new dyes.
    8-)
    Vinegar alone does work; no salt. I just tried it on a black print piece of fabric. Back in the '60s when madras plaids were so popular, instructions were to soak in vinegar water before washing. Anyway, I wash preparing for a tee shirt quilt class last Friday and we were instructed to rinse all of our FQ's in clear water until dye disappears. Not much problem with that but the black printed fabric I have for the outside border continued to fade with every rinse until I finally remember the old vinegar thing. So after about 8 rinses that were still coming out with dye, the next one with about 1/3 cup of vinegar did the trick and the water stayed cleared. I even super swished it around and still the water stayed clear. Never added salt, just vinegar.
    Vernell in Austiin
    Just a note on vinegar: it only works on some, but not all, acid dyes (mainly used on nylon, silk, and wool). Most cottons are colored with fiber-reactive dyes. Also be very sure to rinse vinegar out entirely or it will eat the fabric over time, like bleach does. Bleach and vinegar are both acids. The safest, surest, and best way to set dyes in fabric is with Retayne. It is specifically made for just that purpose.

I was just at a new LQS and their red batik selection was awesome...
    Quilts and Friends in Roanoke In
    260-676-2149
    e-mail: [email protected]

XOXOXO Subee

Yellow and Gold are difficult too

have you tried quiltshops.com? they have many shops listed with many batiks.
    Joann

have you tried quiltshops.com? they have many shops listed with many batiks.
    Joann

Blog Entries

Go to Connecting Threads

I have a LQS that has tons of batiks and she has a nice selection of reds. It's all in what the store stocks. When on vacation last summer I was looking for yellow and dk pink batiks, colors that I can't find here - and I found some. Good luck!

It IS hard to find actual reds; lots of maroon, pink etc but not much red. After realizing this I've used it as an excuse to pick up some red whenever I see some I like!
    Pat

check SEWBATIK.Com If you buy, use LAP1250 in the comment area so they know you found it from me. Great Service, Great Products. Full disclosure: Yes, I am affiliated. But I wouldn't recommend or use if they weren't a top notch company.

Their fabric is wonderful, and the wide back batiks are made with the same weave that quilt-shop-quality fabrics are made. The backs are not that really tight weave that sometimes breaks the fabric threads when on the longarm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2