Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why is this so hard for me??

Rhonda, I don't know more than 10% of what the Destiny does - I had that feature on the Pfaff and really liked it. I do most of my straight sewing on the Juki 2010 and it has very little in the way of electronics.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Suz
    I plan to make this flowered quilt for a blind GGD so that she will be able to feel the flowers. I must practice making them in order to work out problems before I start. I saw a French Rose quilt on Pinterest wherein the flowers were scattered rather than centered on a block and the flowers were of different sizes, some overlapped. Thanks for all of the input from all of you and I will check out the tute on YouTube also.

Blog Entries
    For a project like that, I would get out the Elmer’s school glue. Use a small bead about 1/2” from the edge, iron with a pressing cloth, sew and remove base layer, , layer the next shape on top. Continue until all layers are secured with glue, and the back cloth has been removed. Starting with a walking foot, sew around the large piece, and move progressively to the center. (Glue will just pull loose as long as you are light handed with it. as you remove back layer from each shape)
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
    Try the pivot feature first. The start/stop button does take some coordination to master especially for applique type projects. That wouldn't be my choice either.

Another suggestion:

Try a small zig zag stitch if your machine has it. Adjust the width down so you can barely see the zig zag. Adjust the length also and try it on a sample piece first. The zig zag stitch should allow the fabric to give just enough to avoid the puckers.

The quilt block is supposed to fray the edges so most of the stitching lines won't be seen.

Most of all have fun!
    Great idea for an alternate stitch, too! I hadn't thought to switch stitches.
    I will *try* to have fun, I will be very relieved if only I can get a half-decent outcome!
    *this space for rent*

Have you tried starching the fabric? Make it really stiff and give it a try. Good luck.

Not sure if this will be helpful or if you know it already, but when I use the glue stick on my starched fabric, I press it before I stitch. I think if you starch, then glue stick, then drop your dogs and use FMQ technique, you will be able to avoid any puckers. FWIW, IMHO, its easier and still pretty cheap to use spray starch from Walmart than to use the kind you dilute yourself, (forgot the name.) It was nice and stiff, but my iron was all gunked up. Wasn't worth the clean-up.

Am I the only one that can't see the quilt?

I was wondering where the photo was....can't see it either.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jannie View Post
    Am I the only one that can't see the quilt?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
    I was wondering where the photo was....can't see it either.
    you may notice at the bottom of the post that the copyright picture was removed. the OP should have used a link to the picture instead.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

mac
    I was also going to suggest that you starch your fabric stiff as a board. From what you described it sounded like you were putting the flowers down on a square and then sewing. The website that I saw showed that they did the flowers first, then put them on the square. It would seem that would be a much easier way to do it.

I found a website where a quilt guild was doing the blocks for a charity quilt. Maybe you can get a better idea from seeing how they did it. By the way I love the music they did the show with: http://play.smilebox.com/SpreadMoreH...544d3d0d0a.jpg

Hope this helps some. Remember quilting is suppose to be fun and the project you chose is a 'loosely translated project', meaning when the quilt is finished and washed you probably won't notice any wrinkles as it will all come out into the wash.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    you may notice at the bottom of the post that the copyright picture was removed. the OP should have used a link to the picture instead.
    Yikes! Sorry, I didn't notice the copyright... I was just trying to quickly show an example of the type of pattern it is.
    This is the actual pattern I purchased:
    https://www.amazon.com/French-Patter...s=french+roses

Thanks, mac, I did watch the video where the guild did the charity quilt...one thing I didn't want to replicate was how they sewed over the juncture between the layers. I'm fussy, I want them to all be free edges. I totally get doing it that way for the sake of less time/fuss.
    *this space for rent*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2