Why?

Old 08-03-2021, 08:09 AM

Since I buy (when I do) patterns online I prefer the speed of having it NOW! I don't like to wait for it to be mailed. Sure they is the chance it can be copied and given away. However many patterns also are encoded for individual usage to prevent this from happening.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:19 AM

I prefer paper patterns to pdf's. But I can certainly see the benefit of low costs in pdf copies. I usually purchase pdf's when I have to get the quilt done fast.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:40 AM

I prefer a paper pattern, because I don't like having to use so much printer ink, which is expensive, moreso than the small shipping charge for the pattern, and the paper patterns are more compact than when I print them out.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:30 AM

The thing I don't understand is why retailers say the pattern is low in stock. Or something like buy now, only 3 left. How can a pdf file be low in stock?
When I print out a pdf I'll print the cover page with the quilt image in color, then switch to black and white for the rest. Unless I need to see the color arrangement to clarify the piecing instructions. Then those pages get to be in color.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:36 AM

I prefer a PDF because most patterns come from the US and they charge a ridiculous price for shipping, when the thing can just go in an envelope.
Besides, I want it now.
Watson
Old 08-04-2021, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

Not a big deal for me as I make up most of my patterns.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

Copy paper is cheap. Ten ream (5000 sheets) package is $38 at Amazon. I waited for a flash sale and got it for $19.99. Keep items you want in the save for later list and when the price changes you'll get a notification.. I pay for wi fi so I make it work for me... I'll never run out printing patterns. LOL The toner cartridge prints 2500 pages and is very inexpensive compared to ink jet ink. The grands want to print or make copies of their hands, faces, drawings, no big deal. Print away.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:34 AM

A large number of patters that I buy are PDF’s. I normally print one in black and white and stick it in a plastic sleeve and store it in a binder of patterns that I keep....my purchased patterns go in there too. I store it on an iPad too including on the cloud.