Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Why trim so much selvedge?

I was wondering why some people trim so much off of the selvedge edges. I rarely take off more than 1/2" as that is usually all that is necessary where the print stops and the weave gets so dense. I take off even less with batiks. Usually I cut my cross wise strips selvedge to selvedge and then trim off the little bit of selvedge from each end of the strip. I have seen members post quilts made entirely out of selvedge strips and it looks like some of these strips they are taking off up to 1 1/2" to 2" wide, maybe even more from their entire length of fabric. I will only cut selvedge from LOF when needing LOF to do sashings or borders but even then I rarely trim off more than 1/2". I can easily see where the weave is so much tighter in the selvedge and I am definitely lopping all that off. Is there a reason for removing more? Or is it just because you want to be able to use the selvedge strips in a strip quilt that you would take off more?

I have noticed that too. I take off very little myself. Sometimes it's wider on one end but that seems to be because I squared up the fabric. I don't think it was on the bolt evenly. I try to cut as little as possible off. No sense in wasting it. I'm also always worried I won't have enough fabric to finish a project. Fabric is getting way too expensive to just hack away on it.

I have a friend who just finished a small quilt using the selvedge edge strips. She likes to have a wee bit of the fabric showing, not just the selvedges. Other than that, I don't have a clue. I don't save the selvedge edges.

Blog Entries
    I just cut where the weave gets normal. But with all the selvage savers recently, I've been cutting at 1" so I can someday pass on my selvages.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I just cut where the weave gets normal. But with all the selvage savers recently, I've been cutting at 1" so I can someday pass on my selvages.
    Same here. I'm saving for someone and they look cute with a bit of fabric on them.

i started cutting them off a little bit wider than necessary since i started to save them for myself to make a project. it will take quite some time to save up, but i hope it is worth it.

Blog Entries
    I only trim off what I need to. I'm not into the selvedge projects, so I'd rather have less waste, especially with the prices up as high as they are now.

I also generally cut where the weave gets normal. With all the talk about saving the selvages I have been saving mine for a project one day.

If you ever decide to pass it on, please let me know! I make lots of selvedge bags and just LOVE them.
    Quote Originally Posted by gale

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't have a problem cutting off extra to use in projects, you really aren't wasting anything if you are using them :D:D:D

Banned
    Blog Entries
    you only need to cut off the WARP end...if you are cutting off designed fabric, you are throwing your money away...UNLESS you are saving the section with the printing in case you need more of that fabric down the road..then I cut a section of it off and staple it to a scrap of the fabric!

I have a bag of selvages now not sure what I am going to do with them!

Banned
    i don't usually cut the selvedge off until I need to.....rarely before cutting strips or squares or whatever.