Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Why use flower head pins?

Blog Entries

Question Why use flower head pins?

I got an email about a massdrop with pins and flower head pins are included. It specifically says these pins are not heat resistant. Other than ironing, what is the big advantage to using them? I know one is that you can put a ruler over them to trim. Any other reason?

I like that one side is white and I can write a number on it with a Sharpie permanent marker. They are also easily visible.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I've wondered the same question. I just bought the glass tip/heat resistant ones when I started quilting last year.

I much prefer the glass head pins because of the pressing problem. The plastic head or flower head pins melt and either stick to the iron or to your fabric-sometimes creating problems. Just my opinion.

You will want to slap me, but maybe cuz they're cute?! Sorry, couldn't resist, LOL!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I don't iron over the flower head pins and I prefer them over the glass head pins because they lay flat. I can match up seams, sew over them and keep things much straighter than using the glass head pins. This is one of those things that is a preference. Whichever you prefer is right for you.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Exactly!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
    I much prefer the glass head pins because of the pressing problem. The plastic head or flower head pins melt and either stick to the iron or to your fabric-sometimes creating problems. Just my opinion.

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    they're so much easier to pick up & guide [IMHO]-- especially when your fingers don't work right!
    "variety is the spice of life"

I just like the feel of them, however last week I accidentally left one on the bottom side of the pieces I was joining and I thought the machine was having hard time sewing through a small area..then it was okay. When I wet to press the unit I found that I have sewn thru a flat flower pin head. yikkies a first for me...

Judy in Phx, AZ

Power Poster
    I like the flower head pins because they are thinner and longer then other pins. If you accidentally sew over a pin head it doesn't mess up your machine. I bought mine when I was doing OBW so I could lay my ruler on top of them to cut 6 layers. When pinning seams they cause less distortion in the fabric and the fabric lays flatter. Love my flower head pins!

Blog Entries
    The flower head pins I tried were not very sharp. Anyone have this problem.

I don't use them for regular piecing. I use them for paper piecing. The extra lengthe & thinness majes holding the fabric & paper better at the odd pinning angles & you can turn the fabric back over your ruler to cut your seam allowances.

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    I agree with Tartan, I like the length of the pins and they are super sharp.
    Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.
    Edmund Burke

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. My pins of choice are the long quilter's pins from clover which are actually slightly thinner (but slightly shorter) than the flower pins. I think I'll just stick with them for now and try a small box of the flower pins someday (the massdrop is two boxes of 100 pins each).

Blog Entries
    I ike them b/c I can write the row number on them
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    There's a difference between the Clover pins and the Dritz ones. The Clover pins are sharper and are more heat resistant than the Dritz. I bought the fine Clover ones which glide through the fabric so easily. They don't distort the fabric as you sew the seam. Sometimes the extra length is an advantage and sometimes it isn't.

Leslie

I don't like my flower head pins. They are not sharp, also they are not thin enough to suit me. Therefore they are rather slow pinning. So, I bought a few more glass head pins and set the flowers aside.

Blog Entries
    The flower head pins come in different thickness ie thinness of the shaft so go through fabric like a knife through butter. The flower heads are flat so you can measure with a ruler over the top withno wobble.
    i use flower heads all the time but replace with glass heads when i need to press, although it is better to press without any pin. You can press the pin shape into the fabric.

grammie man there are different thicknesses of pin heads. Some with blue tops some orange. Blue I think are the finest but the bend easily.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    Yes, that's why I quit trying to use them.

Originally Posted by Prism99

Yes, that's why I quit trying to use them.

Clover is the only brand of flower head pins I buy. They are thin and very sharp. There is a difference in quality from other brands. I like how they lay flat on the fabric.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

What/why press with pins in? I use both.....flowers primarily on longarm...pinning to leaders..lay flat......and if I decide to do a stack n whack.....not!...once was enough! My pin cushions have yellow glass headed pins in them....

Blog Entries
    I like them for all of the reasons given. Wish I could remember which brand I bought so I wouldn't buy them again - the "flowers" have some rough edges, little burrs on them. Anybody else find that?
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I usually iron pin then sew. Rarely iron over pins. I have all kinds of pins. As long as they're sharp I'm good.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't be ironing over pins much when quilting, but for other sewing projects I do quite a bit. For hems, pinning binding on small areas, etc. I don't like using glue on something that won't be washed like a wallet or purse.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    There are flower head pins from several sources. I use the ones from Clover because they have a very slim shank, are so sharp,and CAN be pressed because they are not plastic apparently. A bit more expensive, but so worth it!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast