Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Why when you get a block to go together so easy is it >
  • Why when you get a block to go together so easy is it

• Why when you get a block to go together so easy is it

Old 01-11-2010, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by dusty222
    Inny Thanks for your reply. I'm an experienced quilter and I'm always a hint smaller in size. I always just line up the fabric to the edge of the line on the ruler and that line on some rulers is thick. Thanks, I am going to pay a lot more attention to that in the future and see if it helps. Gosh, I sure am glad to have found this group.
    We're sure glad you found us too!

Yeah, I hate it when I use a ruler that has thick lines. People who don't quilt always think I'm being picky but I know you quilter's sure understand the importance of a thin line for the edge of fabric.
    Old 01-11-2010, 06:48 PM

Actually my 1/4 foot is adjustable. It's wonderful at times, but with this block it was awful! I did take a picture this afternoon...let me see if I can find it

Chain and Hourglass
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]66952[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-66947.jpe  
    Old 01-11-2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Originally Posted by mimisharon
    ........I'll get a picture of it in the morning and then you can waggle your eyebrows at me.
    Can't speak for anyone else, but I don't waggle. I might raise said caterpillars above my visual orbs (certainly not at anyone on the board), but waggle, they do not.
    So glad there are some that won't waggle, makes me nervous as a cat in a room full of rockin' chairs. :oops: Thanks, Mad, makes me feel better.
    Old 01-11-2010, 07:03 PM

Yeah, I hate it when I use a ruler that has thick lines. People who don't quilt always think I'm being picky but I know you quilter's sure understand the importance of a thin line for the edge of fabric.
    Amen, I've been known to throw good rulers into the 'kid' bin for not feeling right when I opened it. Always been that way. When I was still doing clothing construction, I would only use certain tape measures, too. Picky is ok, especially in quilting.
    Old 01-11-2010, 10:56 PM
    Power Poster

The block looks awesome! it is hard to tell from here where you lost the little bit,
    Old 01-12-2010, 07:50 AM

I'm thinking it was in not moving the needle back over, think I was working on a quilt block before this one that I was using a full 1/4....I don't know, I'll try making it next week and see what I get. I love the block, it really struck me for some reason.
    Old 01-13-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by mimisharon
    Actually my 1/4 foot is adjustable. It's wonderful at times, but with this block it was awful! I did take a picture this afternoon...let me see if I can find it
    Mimisharon, I can't tell where the block is off, but one can't help noticing the pattern and I like your batiks. would you please share where the pattern might be found? I have some bright yellow and some blue-and-yellow batiks that would be striking in that pattern.

Thank you in advance!
    Old 01-13-2010, 03:36 PM
    Power Poster

Lovely block Sharon. Those high contrast 2-color jobs show take courage, so good for you for tackling this. I believe that once you put the quilt together and quilt it, you will not even be able to see the minor inconsistencies. (Personal experience speaking here)
    Old 01-13-2010, 08:04 PM

My blocks usually are not the right size. I'm getting confused reading all this. My fabric is on the cutting mat, say I want a 3" strip, I place my ruler on the fabric, bottom of ruler on3" and top of ruler on 3", I always place my ruler on the left side of that 3" line not directly on the 3" line, my question is where on the 3" line should I place the ruler? left, directly on or covering the line. I've confused myself and probably you.
    Old 01-14-2010, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by quilter2
    My blocks usually are not the right size. I'm getting confused reading all this. My fabric is on the cutting mat, say I want a 3" strip, I place my ruler on the fabric, bottom of ruler on3" and top of ruler on 3", I always place my ruler on the left side of that 3" line not directly on the 3" line, my question is where on the 3" line should I place the ruler? left, directly on or covering the line. I've confused myself and probably you.
    I was always told to be sure 3" line is ON the fabric not butted up to the fabric....it makes a difference