Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
why you do not wash fabrics before cutting? >

why you do not wash fabrics before cutting?

why you do not wash fabrics before cutting?

Old 01-23-2015, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Some of the reasons people wash their fabrics before cutting them have been listed many times in many threads.

For those that do not, what are your reasons for not doing so?
Well.... I don't prewash either. In my opinion color catchers save oodles of time. I do prewash baby gifts or ones for people with severe allergies, though.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
I know why some don't wash. Not due to laziness but lack of organisation. They turn up at a retailers to do a class and the first 30 mins of the lesson are wasted waiting for them to select, cut and purchase fabric for class.
As the tutor found this very annoying standing waiting, especially when they had had the requirements since they booked and pre washing and light starching was requested.
Hi Dottymo, Possibly British politeness would require that. My LQS's tend to think that anybody who is buying fabric from them for any reason under the sun has priority over anything else, and that when someone buys a class they are offered a discount on fabric or a discount on the class when they purchase in-store. Some classes require that the fabric be bught and offer specials on fabric and tools needed. The first time I saw everyone leave a class for the race 'upstairs' to buy fabric, I was a little confused too. But washing was the least of the problem! It was all about the bargain!
Old 01-23-2015, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I'm not about to pass on to anyone a quilt that may cause an allergic reaction. Especially to babies much less with so many dirty hands having touched the fabric. I get other tasks accomplished while the laundering of the fabric is going on. I would rather wash before hand the yardage before cutting versus a large piece that may bleed or shrink. Everyone has their preference. Was told yesterday, I was a bit of a germaphobe. Oh well. Still going to prewash.
FYI-read recently that once your clothes are washed, your washer tub is full of bacteria, and remains unless you use bleach. If not, it is the dryer heat that kills the bacteria.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:06 PM

I wash everything. Even if it means washing it by hand.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:29 PM

I have been quilting for about 9 years now and have never had a bleeding problem. I NEVER prewash fabric or batting. I strongly advise using color catchers and cold water for the first launder.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:35 PM

Default Compromise

I don't like to iron wrinkled fabric, I don't like to cut off frayed thread balls, but I do pre-wash my own way. I don't use soap. I soak the fabric in the sink or bathtub in very hot water. If it bleeds, I soak and change water until it runs clear. I feel soaking removes much of the chemicals and the hot water does some shrinking. I don't squeeze or twist to create wrinkles. Then I lift the fabric out of the water, drain, and dry on a drying rack or on my porch railings. The fabric dries wrinkle free and requires no ironing and has no frayed threads. That is my compromise.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:00 PM

I made several quilts before finding this board and hearing that we are supposed to wash before starting a quilt. I wash with color catchers in my large top loader, when the quilt is finished. I have never had a problem. That includes a batik braid and a red and white log cabin. I don't have enough time to quilt as it is and I sure don't want to use the time I have ironing that fabric.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:54 PM

I don't pre-wash simply because I don't see the benefit of washing out the sizing put on it at the factory only to turn around and douse it with starch/sizing all over again. I do wash the quilts before gifting them & to date, haven't had a problem with shrinkage. Technology has progressed such, that I don't think fabric today shrinks like it used to.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:30 PM

I always wash my quilts after they are finished, so I don't see the need to do it before. Only two exceptions to that: first, I will wash flannel if it is for a backing to a cotton quilt, since they shrink differently, and second, if I do a project (i.e. round robin) where everyone else washes their fabrics.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
I prewashed everything one time because I was taking a class and it was part of the instructions. I haven't and won't since. I ended up using so much best press and it never did iron out as well as unwashed fabric. I prefer to wash the completed quilt with a color catcher..
I didn't wash my first quilt fabrics--mostly some small wall hangings that I was using to teach myself. Took a class, and as above, instructions included "prewash the fabric." Despite cutting off the corner of pieces (never figured out how that's supposed to help) and following instructions, I had a lot of strings and hated the result. Haven't prewashed since. I just wash afterward--I also like the wrinkly quilty look it gives.

May try a color catcher, though, with my Dancing with the Stars quilt, almost finished.

BTW: what's the opposite of irony? Wrinkly! Sorry, couldn't resist.

Hallie in NM