Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why you should buy fabric when you see it! >

Why you should buy fabric when you see it!

Why you should buy fabric when you see it!

Old 05-23-2010, 09:33 AM

I find myself in the same quarry. Since the only lqs closed, the closest is in 3 directions, each one about 30 minutes +/-. BUT.. Less will take me anywhere so the problem is, at least in what I have noticed, each owner has a tendency (unintentual) to buy what they feel is the most applicable to their customers. And then when it comes in I notice it's more to their liking then ours. When they do bring in a really nice line, they normally do NOT bring in the whole line (collection). This leaves me with the pattern I want to make but not all the fabrics. So basically with my particular background, I tend to buy on line and have over the years, narrowed down my favorite 5. I watch for pricing and it can be as much as 50 cents a yard less, I watch for the quanities they carry and if they carry the whole line. This is extremely important as for the newer or less experienced quilter (namely me for one) they don't realize that if they go to the fabric manufactures website, they always have patterns for the newly sold collections. These are FREE downloads. So your are holding a pattern that you truly want to make, you fell in love with the collection and the shop only purchased certain yardages. Anything after the first run is not as pretty or the same feel as most of the manufactures will do a second line run for discount shops... I am sure there are more of you who know more then I do about this, but if you can find a way to bite the bullet and purchase all the fabrics of your taste, then do it. I am just pulling out a stack of 3 year fabrics that has that "special" pattern that I am going to make for myself.

Blue
Old 05-23-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
I have troubles with this. I know a fabric line won't be around but for one, maybe two seasons and then it's gone. So if I love it I know I should buy it, but I can never decide how much I'm supposed to buy when I have no project in mind. I'm sure as I become a more experienced quilter I will understand what I typically need for different projects. I just don't have that knowledge yet! :)
Hey Rachelcb80, I recommend a book entitled "All-in-One Quilter's Reference Tool" by Harriet Hargrave, Sharyn Craig, Alex Anderson, and Liz Aneloski. C & T Publishing. It is a very handy reference tool to give you yardages, block sizes, etc. It's handy when you want to design your own quilt and need calculations.... that being said, memorize your bed quilt size, and other sizes you like to quilt. I walked into my LQS when they were having a sale, I spotted the blue & yellow fabrics that I fell in love with. I knew I wanted to make a wallhanging out of them, but didn't know exactly what yet. I bought 16 different fabrics from this line, enough for any pattern- 3 yds total for quilt top, and likewise I bought 2yds for the backing. If you memorize a few 'key' sizes and yardage amounts necessary, you can take advantage of sales or special fabric lines and get the right yardage for any project. I also knew I needed 9 yds total for a bed sized quilt top and 8.5 yds for backing for my bed.
Hope this helps!
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 05-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

Oh boy do I hear this! If you are making a quilt in certain fabrics buy the backing too while you can get your hands on it! Ask me how I know this??
Old 05-23-2010, 10:54 AM

I, too, will buy fat quarters or half yards to fill in, but I usually have what I want when a pattern strikes. Now I am collecting big bright flowers for a quilt.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
It doesn't matter how much you buy or how experienced you are -

One buys too much of something one doesn't need and not enough of one that one wants to use sometime in the future.
truer words were never spoken!
Old 05-23-2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by jbud2
Several years ago, there was a collection of fabrics manufactured and printed based on fabric and quilts in the York Countye Historical Society collections. I thought it was pricey but now, I wish I would have bought some. And wish I would have kept the newspaper and other articles on why the fabric was made!

Another reason as to if you see something you like, get it. It would be available forever!
Maybe the archives from the York Dispatch or York Daily Record might have the articles. Or try calling the Historical Society - they should have the documentation.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:48 PM

I too, have seen fabric & it calls to me - BUY ME!!! I hate to buy a some & then wish I had gotten more.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:24 PM

When I see fabric I like I usually just buy a yard of it and wish I purchased more later. I never know how much to buy. After reading through it blog, I am thinking the average amount to purchase is 3 yds and if you are buying material for backing, purchase 4 yds. Is that correct?
Old 05-23-2010, 06:44 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by reach for the stars 2
They usually make one run and that's it.When it's gone it's gone.
This is true! Most collections are only printed once. Sometimes the better selling prints in a collection get printed again... but not if it's a holiday line. Unless it's by Benartex. They keep their designs around longer than most companies.

I've been told it's because most stores want to order something NEW, so that their customers always have something new to look at.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by JanetM
I completely agree with you. A few have gotten away from me over the years, but for the most part, if it speaks (it whispers or sometimes YELLS psst over here Janet, buy me, buy me) I will in fact buy it.
The clerk will ask me, "Oh, what are you going to make with this". I can't tell you how many times I say that I don't have any idea, I just have to have it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

how true...happens to me all the time....