Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wide backing

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You all helped me find a deal on warm and natural,,,now can you direct me to a good online sourse the best deal on wide backing???

bj
    I've ordered from both fabric.com and christianlanequilters.com. I was pleased with both orders.

This site offers only wide backing. I have not ordered from them; they advertise on a longarm group I belong to.
    http://www.backsidefabrics.com/

I was looking at a site the other day. Ann's Fabrics and Crafts. They are in New Hampshire. Nice variety and really reasonable prices. I have ordered from them before and they get it right out to you also.

www.fabricdepot.com

They have sales on them. I got some a while back for 50% off. They have a nice selection too.

Blog Entries
    Mine is www.nixiechicks.com and www.marshalldrygoods.com.
    Both have wide backing for about $7 a yard. Nixie is faster to ship, and free shipping with $35 purchase. Marshall has more variety.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by bj
    I've ordered from both fabric.com and christianlanequilters.com. I was pleased with both orders.
    I have ordered from fabric.com

Marshall Dry Goods, at $5.99 a yard for both prints and blenders, is about the least expensive I've seen for 108" backing fabric. Great service from them, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Riversong
    You all helped me find a deal on warm and natural,,,now can you direct me to a good online sourse the best deal on wide backing???

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Keepsake Quilting had some gorgeous choices--the CW ones were esp nice.

On bed quilts I have been using extra wide muslin. It shows the stitching so nice and the price is reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by bj
    I agree -- fabric.com may have the better prices. sewbatik.com has gorgeous extra-wide batiks -- prices are a bit higher, but some quilts seem to demand something special.

Thanks for these websites!!

Banned
    I was thinking about using flat sheets like you find at Target for backing material I do not do many King size but you can get the flat sheets relatively cheap and the fabric is very good quality 600+ thread count.

But what is the consensus about doing that?

Billy

Sounds good to me Billy. :-D :-D :-D

Banned
    A couple of weeks ago they had a "White Sale" and they had the full size Egyptian Cotton flat sheet for $8 or so and they had close to 12 or so colors to choose from. I bought several King szed ones jut because they were cheap and I would have left overs for the stash.

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    I was thinking about using flat sheets like you find at Target for backing material I do not do many King size but you can get the flat sheets relatively cheap and the fabric is very good quality 600+ thread count.

Billy

Can I add my experience with sheets? I made a quilt entirely out of sheets for a customer and it frayed like crazy! She had a pro quilt it on the longarm because it was too large for me and my sewing machine.

All in all it was beautiful!

Blog Entries
    Try Quiltshops.com and do a search for wide backing. I am in the UK and have always found what I am looking for and at very good prices.

My mother used sheet a lot for quilt backs. They seem to work well. Some sheets are hard to hand quilt so watch the quality. I would think that machine quilting would not be a problem.

I missed the warm and natural information. Would you kindly share it with me?

Watch Fabric.com, I ordered 108" fabric for $2.99/yard

Billy
    some say the higher thread count is harder to quilt. Also the shrinkage is different.

Quote Originally Posted by kankan01

Billy
    some say the higher thread count is harder to quilt. Also the shrinkage is different.
    Less shrinkage with more threads. Harder quilting if you are going to be hand quilting. Usually, a poly/cotton blend will have threads/shedding all over the place ...
    I have used sheets as backings for my quilts and my Babylock Quilter's Pro didn't bat an eyelash - - neither did any of my older sewing machines when I was doing it on a small table, rather than a quilting frame. I very much enjoy my Grace Pinnacle frame ... and, with help and input from the board, I can turn out a pretty fine product

I have used sheets for backing baby quilts which are machine quilted - worked great.

Banned
    All I do is machine quilt so it should be okay then.

Maybe one day I will try and hand quilting but for now I am digging my treadles! :thumbup:

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by dunster
    This site offers only wide backing. I have not ordered from them; they advertise on a longarm group I belong to.
    http://www.backsidefabrics.com/
    I surely enjoyed the prices and the colors, but I didn't see how wide the fabric was. What key words on the site do I look for to see the width measurements?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast