Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will it damage fabric to store it long-term in wooden dressers drawers? >

Will it damage fabric to store it long-term in wooden dressers drawers?

Will it damage fabric to store it long-term in wooden dressers drawers?

Old 11-12-2014, 08:32 AM

Default Will it damage fabric to store it long-term in wooden dressers drawers?

A year or so ago I put some left over fabrics from my first few quilts in my bottom dresser drawer so they can lay out flat. They were already starched and pressed and I didn't want to refold them. Plus, they were all different sizes as well.

Forward to today, and I've made many more quilts and have more and more left over fabrics I really want to store flat. I've been primarily making lap and twin size quilts so I have had quite a bit of leftover fabrics with each of my projects. Eventually, I'll get back to these fabrics and make another quilt from the collection.

I've used up all my under bed storage so I'm thinking of using more of my dresser drawers. My dresser is wood (not sure what kind) and about 28 years old. Is this safe? Should I be lining the bottom and sides maybe with some type of tissue or other material?? Thanks.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:40 AM

Probably, just to be safe. I've heard of discoloration and even degradation happening because of the acids and stains in wood. I've also heard not to store starched fabrics because it attracts moths and silverfish. I've never had either issue, but I don't store fabric next to wood and I live in an area that doesn't have a lot of silverfish.

You could get some of that adhesive contact paper to line the drawers, then do a layer of acid-free tissue. The reason why I think the contact paper would be a good idea is because tissue is porous and could absorb whatever is in the wood.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

If you ruler fold you can store flat. I use clear containers to store everything. I purchased some silicone packets so nothing would mildew. I try to make sure all my fabric is very dry since we live in a humid area on the Gulf of Mexico. I have some fabric on comic boards and they are flat against each other but upright. Idon't like storing fabric in wood containers because the smell of the wood comes through.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:00 AM

Rather than lining the drawers with contact paper, line the drawer with a sheet or muslin, then place a layer of acid-free paper on the sheet or muslin. Contact paper would act much like a plastic bag, and we've all been taught to never store our quilts in plastic bags.

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Probably, just to be safe. I've heard of discoloration and even degradation happening because of the acids and stains in wood. I've also heard not to store starched fabrics because it attracts moths and silverfish. I've never had either issue, but I don't store fabric next to wood and I live in an area that doesn't have a lot of silverfish.

You could get some of that adhesive contact paper to line the drawers, then do a layer of acid-free tissue. The reason why I think the contact paper would be a good idea is because tissue is porous and could absorb whatever is in the wood.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

they sell nice acid free paper you could use inside the drawers.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

I would definitely put something between the fabric and the wood. I have many quilts in my cedar chest, and lined it with plastic. I have been told that fabric and wood are not a good mix long term. I even put sleeves on my quilt racks.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

Anything made with wood will have some acids in it unless it has been treated to be "acid-free" or "archival" quality. This includes paper and includes tissue paper; paper is made from wood.

Since the dresser is 28 years old, the wood has had a chance to dry out so it won't leak acid as fast as newer wood. However, you still would not want to store fabrics in direct contact with the wood.

My suggestion would be to get a can of polyurethane from the hardware store and give the insides of the dresser drawers a couple of coats. Alternatively, lining the drawers with muslin would be sufficient. Or, store all the fabrics and quilt tops inside of old pillowcases.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

Would lining the drawers with freezer paper work? Paper side next to the fabric-
Old 11-12-2014, 11:09 AM

I would line the drawers. If the fabric gets damp for any reason the wood might stain the bottom layers.
Rodney
Old 11-12-2014, 11:13 AM

[QUOTE=mckwilter;6965941]Rather than lining the drawers with contact paper, line the drawer with a sheet or muslin, then place a layer of acid

This is what I've always been told to do. I have some textiles stored in a very old (about 60 years old) cedar chest. I've wrapped it all in old white sheets and try to get it out and refold and restore periodically. So far everything it fine. I'd wrap them in something cotton, preferably a couple layers, just in case.