Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Will this fabric work for a Four-Patch Posy?

I received about 7 yards of this unusual fabric and am trying to decide what to make from it. It is a beautiful blue color and quite striking though a bit odd. The repeats are about a yard apart. I haven't done a Four-Patch Posy but would like to give it a try. For those of you who are experienced, would this fabric work? How large would you cut the blocks before you joined them? Any other advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

My unusual fabric
    Name:  Attachment-280031.jpe
Views: 233
Size:  102.7 KB

Blog Entries
    I would never be able to cut that up!!! I'd use it as backing and make a reversible quilt - with something equally stunning on the front!

Quote Originally Posted by Cherylsea
    I would never be able to cut that up!!! I'd use it as backing and make a reversible quilt - with something equally stunning on the front!
    Totally agree

Blog Entries
    Lovely fabric!!!! ditto on not cutting it for a posey I think doing a attic windows on the blocks would be lovely or better yet I'll buy it :)>>>>

Blog Entries
    Ditto

I like the fabric, but don't quite understand what you mean by the repeats are about a yard apart. could you give us a picture of two yards?

With what I see, I think that I would cut a large piece and use it as the center of a quilt top, then find some accent fabrics to piece or border it with, maybe picking up the diamond theme in the frames of the pattern.

It is pretty!

Blog Entries
    The best technique I've found to determine if a fabric works for four patch posey is to hold two mirrors on the fabric at 90 degree angle to each other then look in to the mirrors at various places throughout the fabric. the mirrors will show you what kinds of images you are likely to get. That said, I don't think this fabric would be my first choice, especially with a yard repeat. You would need too much fabric. Best sell it to me - I love it! ;)

Banned
    I don't believe it will work for the posy quilt. Believe the posy style needs an all over pattern. But try the mirror test.

I wouldn't use it for a 4-patch posy either. I do like the idea of using it for backing.

Blog Entries
    Not only do I not think you shoud, I don't think it would....4 patch posies are made from an all over printed fabric...this has defined panels!!!

Having made several kaleidoscope-type quilt tops (4-Patch Posey, One Block Wonders, etc.), I've learned that straight lines should be avoided. If you get off even a hair, those straight lines will highlight your inaccuracy.

As others have suggested, I think this fabric lends itself better to other designs.
    It sure is pretty, though!

[quote=cathyvv]I like the fabric, but don't quite understand what you mean by the repeats are about a yard apart. could you give us a picture of two yards?

Each "panel" is about a yard. The picture shows one complete panel and parts of two others.

nope...not a posey...but very pretty fabric

Senior Member hensandhollyhocks's Avatar
    No cutting.

Me too. Love it...looks a little Scandinavian to me...very, very appealing (p'raps I'm odd:)).

That is beautiful. If it were me I couldn't cut it up.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I guess I'll hang onto it for a while and hope that inspiration will hit me.
    Sew Happy

Beautiful fabric. I like it just the way it is.
    Fran
    http://franciesboutique.blogspot.com/

NO!!!! The 4 patch posey needs to have an all over design-- the busier the better with irregular shapes in it to make it more interesting.
    Sheryl~~~aka iquilttooo

Could you use some of it as a "fussy-cut" in a quilt top block and then work some as an accent on the backing fabric?