Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Will High Heat in Garage Damage my Fabrics for 2-3 weeks Storage?

Will High Heat in Garage Damage my Fabrics for 2-3 weeks Storage?

We are recarpeting and as excited as I am to get new carpet I am dreading the process. I need to move all of my fabric and the garage is really the only place I will be able to keep it as we will be using other areas of the house not being carpeted for the furniture and other household stuff.

One, I dread the thought of accumulating all of my fabric (I have it stashed away in several spots in the house--closets and under beds as well as on my bookshelves in my sewing area). My DH and kids think that the only fabric I have is what is on my bookshelves and they say that is too much. They will flip a lid when they see how much there really is!!! Two, I don't know how I am going to find enough boxes or containers to put it in. And three, I am worried the high heat (it will be in temperatures ranging from 70 at night to 115 as our daytime temps are going to go to 107 to 110) will damage the fabric. I will probably need around 2 to 3 weeks of storage.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I don't think the heat would affect the fabric at all for that short period of time. What would worry me more is the family seeing all those boxes!

You can scrounge cardboard boxes from stores, but it's a whole lot easier to simply buy boxes as then you can get all the same size so they stack easily. Walmart has some sizes; storage places and moving stores (such as U-Haul) have a lot more sizes but charge quite a bit per box (as I recall, $4-5). If you have time, join a Freecycle list (Google Freecycle to find one for your area) and post a request there for moving boxes.

Alternatively, you can buy plastic boxes at Walmart. I like to store my fabric in clear plastic boxes that stack easily, but you may want to look at opaque boxes so the family cannot see the fabric.

Be careful not to get huge boxes, as fabric becomes very heavy. Even for permanent storage, I prefer smaller boxes because I can move them around much more easily.

Personally, I would find smaller boxes, find a spot in the garage, and move all the fabric by myself when no one is home.

Blog Entries
    I've been "hiding" some of my stash in our luggage. I figure I'm safe until we use the luggage next year for a trip to England. All family members of quilters think we have too much fabric. They just don't get it. If you ever decide to put fabric in large black garbage bags be sure to mark the bag---NOT TRASH--, ya, ask me how I know to mark the bags NOW.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I have a thought. Go get boxes and pack it all. Phooey if everyone sees all the stash. Look at their junk.ha. Just tell them to stay out of it. I tell everyone in my Kitchen. "Stay out of my kitchen". I mean it too. Now is the time to get it all together. If they don't like it. Tell them to lump it. LOL I'm trying to be funny, but I would just pack it up and take it to the garage. It'll be okay.

We went through the pain of carpeting last year so I feel your pain. Keep your eye on the prize though, because it is oh, so wonderful when it's done and everything is back in place. I'm hoping this carpet lasts as long as I do, because I really don't want to go through it again.
    Being a great quilter is 5% talent and 95% pushing yourself away from the internet!

The temps won't be a problem, doing the packing and moving it all. . .don't envy you that part. Just look at as a chance to get everything organized.
    You might check your local office supply store or copy center as a source for empty boxes. Copy paper boxes are a nice size for packing.

I wouldn't worry about the heat, but I would if there was any humidity. Humidity would be the ick factor times a heck of a lot.

I like the idea of boxing up your stash so it isn't so easily identified.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Do you have a friends house you can hide some boxes?... Or rent a storage shed for a month.

I have fabric that I have packed up in plastic boxes that have been out in my shed for years. Mostly fabric that I bought before my taste changed. However, I do go out and get some out of there when I think there may be something that would work. I haven't had any problems with it.

Option #1. Do you have any quilting partners living close? When no one's home stuff the car and drive to your quilting partner's. A couple loads should do it,,,maybe?

Option #2. Are you absolutely sure they don't already know about your hiding places? At our last move DH & DD packed up all my quilting for the move.....very little comments. They know I have an addiction and can't do much about it, until I'm ready.

Option #3. Unload some-fast

Option #4. Stall. Delay the carpet until fall when the weather is cooler and everyone's attitude (especially the workers-everyone will want them to do their best work) isn't affected by the heat. You'll have more time to create a plan.

Option #5. Get a large locked storage unit with climate control. This sounds like a new sewing studio. Yeh! A small mobil home or toy hauler with restroom and small kitchenette. Hide the key, hang a sign,
    "ONLY QUILTERS ALLOWED."

California Hills are pretty dry this time of year-humidity low, very low. It's called the Golden State for a reason.

I agree with barney...tell them to be quiet. Really...it's your business and hobby. Why do they even have an opinion about it? But then, I'd take care of the heavy lifting by myself so as not to irritate them.

I think it will be okay for a few weeks. Try to unpack it as soon as you can. Good luck. Several years ago we took out all the carpets and put in hardwood floors.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

When you wrote it, my first thought was the heat probably isn't a problem but humidity could be--if you have issues with humidity where you live.

You would probably put it in your dryer once it was made into a quilt, so I think it will stand the heat OK.

And don't be ashamed of how much you have. You are allowed to have a hobby that gives you pleasure. Remember, "If Mama ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy."

Blog Entries
    All of you are funny. It is a chance to organize. I like that idea.
    Quilter 68 who is now 69/and now 70

I agree with quilter68.. you will love it, as you will find fabric that you forgot you bought.. You might want to buy the sweater containers. They hold a lot, and are see thru. You also can buy boxes at Staples, Office Max, or Udell. You can buy them online. The ones we use for charts are not tremendous, and you can lift them. They are not expensive.

Dellareya, your "solution" brought back a funny memory for me. When I was young enough to be pregnant, which I was, I kept my fabric in my hot attic. One day I bought fabric and didn't want to trek up the steps that day in May. So... I put it in my suitcase packed for the hospital. You guessed it!! I went into labor that night and had to pull the fabric out in front of my husband, who thankfully, never said one word. Hope you all get a laugh from this too.

Linda in Missouri

Linda, that is too funny!! Thanks all for the good suggestions and good humor. My husband is something else. He just said that he will get a hand-cart and he will just move my packed bookshelf (this is 5 feet across, wall mounted, 5 shelf fully loaded till the shelves are sagging unit). I said, thank you but I think I'll take care of the fabrics. He started to give me a hard time about how much I have and I just told him that enough is enough and I don't want to hear any more about it. I'm sure he'll still poke at me a few times here and there so it isn't completely over. I just have to make sure he doesn't realize the beds are packed underneath with fabric. That would make his brain explode!

I called the carpet store and our order has been delayed at the mill by about 2 weeks so I still have about 3 to 5 weeks to figure things out.

Our charity had lovey dolls in black garbage bags and the church was rewiring in the closet were we store them they got thrown away. All those hand made dolls
    Quote Originally Posted by dellareya View Post
    I've been "hiding" some of my stash in our luggage. I figure I'm safe until we use the luggage next year for a trip to England. All family members of quilters think we have too much fabric. They just don't get it. If you ever decide to put fabric in large black garbage bags be sure to mark the bag---NOT TRASH--, ya, ask me how I know to mark the bags NOW.

Luggage is a good storage space as mentioned. The trunk of your car will hold quite a bit also.

It is a good idea to stay away from black garbage bags. When I was a Project Linus coordinator, it was tempting to use those for blanket delivery. Instead I choose white bags and used a half page computer label to identify the agency and the contents. I was so afraid that someone would toss a black garbage bag.

Best wishes on the whole ordeal!

Be cautious how you store your self healing cutting mats... I ruined one a few years ago when it was in my hot car and it warped from the heat!

[QUOTE=barny;6109261]Yes, I have a thought. Go get boxes and pack it all. Phooey if everyone sees all the stash. Look at their junk.ha. Just tell them to stay out of it. I tell everyone in my Kitchen. "Stay out of my kitchen". I mean it too. Now is the time to get it all together. If they don't like it. Tell them to lump it. LOL I'm trying to be funny, but I would just pack it up and take it to the garage. It'll be okay.[/QUOTE
    LOL...I agree barny!...AngelinaMaria...use this as a chance to get it all organized and together! Unless your family has "suffered" because of what you've spent, why is it their business?? You enjoy quilting! Your stash is part of that!! Like barny said..it will be okay!!

That's right Petthefabric, here is CA it's "dry heat", and here we will break a record tomorrow 110 degrees. Heat will not hurt fabric.

Blog Entries
    I prefer using the metal cubes that you need to put together, they hug the walls. I drape a flat bed sheet from top to bottom to keep dust off, but this way the cotton fabric stash can breath. fabric tend to get that mold smell in plastic containers when its too hot too long, but 3 weeks dont seem too long. Here it gets over 100 so for me, i keep mines indoors on these metal cube shelving (costco/sams carrys them).

I would also worry about humidity, not the heat.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast