Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Will work for fabric

Quote Originally Posted by Tippy
    I'm in Tennessee now, so no doubt the commute would be a killer... I used to live in Summerville, and before that in Ringgold. There is an awesome quilt shop just on the outskirts of Ring gold.. that's where I got my quilting bug re-activated...lol...
    Thank you sooo much. I did not know about Sew Bee It in Ringgold, but Googled and found it. I am going to the quilt show in Knoxville in July and am definitely going to stop there on my way.

Since you are not too far away in Maryville, are you planning on going to the quilt show? It would be fun to meet up--maybe we could find others who might attend too.

Hey, Patti--I know that Middleton is not near Knoxville, but are you thinking about the show?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth Camp
    You are going to have all that lovely fabric and you have daughters that quilt...you are golden, you lucky lady :D
    Ruth, my daughters do not quilt--but, they do lots of crafts with fabric and also sew adorable dresses and outfits for their daughters. So, they do have a love of fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom

I worked at JoAnns many years ago, and I kept asking if they wanted to just exchange fabric for my check...I noticed that after I quit that I had more money than when I was working 4 days a week... :roll: Enjoy your new job~ :mrgreen:
    See--you know exactly what I am talking about!! This can be a dangerous thing.

What a dream job!!! Congrats!!!

Congrats Marcia!! Dream job and we'll be watching for those photos.

Blog Entries
    Marcia...I did think about the show and would LOVE to go! I'm from Knoxville and still have some family there (and she even quilts!), but DH still can't travel...so....think about it is all I can do as I couldn't just go off and leave him. I'd feel so bad about that that I just wouldn't enjoy myself. Maybe next time though :lol: Ya'll have fun and you HAVE to post pics!!!

Wow Marcia...a quilter's dream come true!! Let me know if she opens up any sister shops!!:)Espec north of you!LOL Skeat

I'll be the buzzkill for the group.

Is she taking any information from you for tax purposes? If not, I'd caution you about posting any of the shop's info online--because that means that she's not paying taxes on any of your labor. (You're also not paying any federal or state taxes on what you're getting in exchange for your services either.) Additionally, I'd wonder about her wholesale vs. retail costs of the fabric, and wonder how far below minimum wage I was actually being paid.

This also leads into workers compensation insurance questions. If you're not truly on payroll, it would be an interesting situation if your rotary cutter slipped while you were working and required stitches. What if you slipped and fell in the stockroom?

Would I do it? In a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Sunrises
    I'll be the buzzkill for the group.

Is she taking any information from you for tax purposes? If not, I'd caution you about posting any of the shop's info online--because that means that she's not paying taxes on any of your labor. (You're also not paying any federal or state taxes on what you're getting in exchange for your services either.) Additionally, I'd wonder about her wholesale vs. retail costs of the fabric, and wonder how far below minimum wage I was actually being paid.

This also leads into workers compensation insurance questions. If you're not truly on payroll, it would be an interesting situation if your rotary cutter slipped while you were working and required stitches. What if you slipped and fell in the stockroom?

Would I do it? In a heartbeat.
    You are not a killjoy. I thought about all of these things too! Notice I did not name the shop on the forum? It is just a small shop in a tiny town-but close enough to my house that I am willing to drive there once a week.

I am not working there because I need money and do not care about her wholesale cost of fabric or minimum wage. It is a friendly family run shop where I will enjoy myself one day a week and get to play with fabric. I am looking at this more as I am "volunteering" at the shop and she is thanking me with fabric. :-)

I guess I will have to be really careful at work and make sure I do not hurt myself. Stockroom? There isn't one--everything is on the floor.

Glad to know you would do it too!!! I think it is going to be a lot of fun.

Waiting to see you post pics of your first 6.5 yds. of hard earn fabric :-) Congrats on your new PT job.

Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Marcia...I did think about the show and would LOVE to go! I'm from Knoxville and still have some family there (and she even quilts!), but DH still can't travel...so....think about it is all I can do as I couldn't just go off and leave him. I'd feel so bad about that that I just wouldn't enjoy myself. Maybe next time though :lol: Ya'll have fun and you HAVE to post pics!!!
    Patti-I am sorry you will not be able to make it to the show this year. But--I just might go next year too--and we would have another chance to meet. I am meeting up with several friends there and am spending two nights. I have not been to a quilt show in a year and a half and I am really excited about this one. Hope it is a good show.

Blog Entries
    Marcia, I'm sooo jealous of you, but really hope you have a great time! Maybe next year..I know my grandmother would love it if we could go over. She just had a house full and loved every second, so I know she'd love it if we could visit. I haven't seen her for a long time.. :( although we talk all the time. She sent me my 1st box of fabric to get me started :roll: ....yup...another enabler, and I love her for it! :D :D

Patti---I will think of you while I am at the show. Wish you AND your grandmother could be there too. I will be sure to let you know all about it when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    Congratulations. I want a job like that!!! Hope you have a great time!!!!
    Ohhhh, yeahhhhhhhhhh!! I'm thinking that's the best job in the world, one day a week, sewing, AND fabrics for pay. How does you SS come out of that? Will you have to declare it on your taxes?

Wouldn't matter at all would it? Fabric...........ohhhhhh

You lucky girl!!!!!! OMG! What a dream job!!!!!How cool is that, and the part about making the samples!!!!! I would probably die trying to keep up with using up 26 yards of fabric a month! But Wow! what a way to go!!!!!! :D :D :D

Whoo hoo! You can't beat that! Congrats on the new job.

Do you get to choose your fabric you want?

Wow. That will be sooo cool. 6 days off every week to quilt!!

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    if that happened to me i think i would think that i had died and gone to heaven!! To not only be able to fondle all that expensive material but to be able to take it home as well..you are one very lucky duck!! :thumbup:

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations Marcia, what a great job! I hope the owner will let you post pics of the shop when your work is hanging in there - I bet your inspiration will increase her sales no end! Then you can ask for a raise to 12 yards a day!

K x

WHAT A JOB you landed good for you.

Marcia...I applaude you! These are savy times espec for shop owners (everyone)! If you can lend a hand and enjoy helping...I think this is great!! If it can help them stay afloat...applause!! This is what we all should be doing for one another...helping! Even for a moment!! All of our high horses have become lame...and, part of what I believe the cause of where we are. People in my area have bartered for many, many years....trading vegetables for other ones, skills...etc. As long as I can remember. I is called survival! Espec in trying times! Skeat.....even if it is a can or two of veggies donated to your local charity...make a difference today somewhere!

You are so lucky! What a gig!

Quote Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    Whoo hoo! You can't beat that! Congrats on the new job.

Do you get to choose your fabric you want?
    Yes--I get my pick of any fabric I want. In addition to cottons, she also carries homespun, chenille, and wool. Yum!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skeat
    Marcia...I applaude you! These are savy times espec for shop owners (everyone)! If you can lend a hand and enjoy helping...I think this is great!! If it can help them stay afloat...applause!! This is what we all should be doing for one another...helping! Even for a moment!! All of our high horses have become lame...and, part of what I believe the cause of where we are. People in my area have bartered for many, many years....trading vegetables for other ones, skills...etc. As long as I can remember. I is called survival! Espec in trying times! Skeat.....even if it is a can or two of veggies donated to your local charity...make a difference today somewhere!
    Thanks Skeat--this is how i feel about this shop. It is a wonderful family run business and I want to see her stay afloat in these hard times. She is totally redoing her shop on the inside, trying to have an even wider appeal. She wants a few days off a week to be at home designing new quilts and working on shop samples. She wants me to teach at least one class a month. I have been spending a ton of money in there the last few months, trying to generate revenue for them!!! This will be easier on my pocketbook :lol: and I hope will help benefit both of us.

how awsome!........Do they need any more helpers? :)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast