Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Winding bobbin >

Winding bobbin

Winding bobbin

Old 02-13-2024, 04:13 PM

Default Winding bobbin

Hi Everyone,

I am a new sewer with a vintage machine and I read I can manually hold thread up arm while winding bobbin. My hand wheel does not disengage so I read you can due this. Will it mess up machine? Thank you.
Old 02-13-2024, 04:33 PM

I'm sorry, I'm not understanding your question. Manually hold thread up arm? Do you mean, hold onto the thread while the bobbin is winding? The problem with this is it's very important for the bobbin to be would with a consistent tension, otherwise you could end up with thread issues while sewing/quilting later. Also - I had a machine where the handwheel did not disengage when winding the bobbin - I just made sure the needle was unthreaded when I wound new bobbins.
Old 02-13-2024, 05:01 PM

The thread take up lever where the thread guide is. Sorry, I’m still new to all the names of parts. Where you run the thread up and hook on before you thread the needle. Thank you.
Old 02-13-2024, 05:13 PM

I guess I still don't understand. On most machines, when winding a bobbin, you thread the machine completely differently than you normally would when just sewing. I don't understand why the thread would be going through the take up lever at all when winding.

What machine do you have? What does the owner's manual or instructions say regarding winding a bobbin? I'm assuming you are winding the bobbin on the machine, not on a separate bobbin winder? Can you post pictures of what you're talking about?
Old 02-13-2024, 05:36 PM

Thank you. I will attach photo tomorrow when I get on my PC, I can’t figure it out from my phone. The bobbin winder is on actual machine. It saids just to hold that thread take up lever and that prevents the needle from going down when winding. I googled thread take up lever and it shows a pic of it. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.9
Old 02-13-2024, 05:38 PM

The manual saids to turn hand wheel clockwise to disengage but mine does not disengage the needle. Thanks
Old 02-13-2024, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by mcclave65 View Post
The manual saids to turn hand wheel clockwise to disengage but mine does not disengage the needle. Thanks
Please include a photo of the hand wheel (looking straight on). I'm guessing that there is a stop motion clutch knob that turns opposite the hand wheel. Sometimes if the machine needs cleaned and oiled properly. I would suggest that you don't mess with the thread take up lever when winding the bobbin, just do as Peckish said "I had a machine where the handwheel did not disengage when winding the bobbin - I just made sure the needle was unthreaded when I wound new bobbins." You could even remove the needle. This is a page is more about Singer machines and a couple different washers https://vssmb.blogspot.com/2012/06/h...om-moving.html and I think yours may be more like the one seen at http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2012/06/ho...bbed-stop.html
Old 02-14-2024, 04:33 AM

Here is the pics of the machine and the handwheel that I can not disengage so need will not go move when winding bobbin. The pic with my finger is showing the thread up lever, I can hold that and the needle does not move, just wanted to make sure that would not hurt machine, I saw a repair man on you tube say you can do that as an option. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails thread-up-lever.jpg   machine.jpg   machine-wheel.jpg   sewing-machine.png  
Old 02-14-2024, 07:03 AM

I don't think it would hurt. I think that if I couldn't get the stop motion clutch knob to disengage the needle movement, I would do as Peckish did. Have you tried holding the white part of the hand wheel and turning the silver knob in the center? Does the silver knob move at all when holding the white part still or turning opposite (like twisting a bottle cap)? Seems to me that one time, I made sure all the parts were positioned correctly that I did hold the take up lever for just a bit and then let go and then it continued as it was supposed to.

There are four positions for the washer to be placed and only one correct way. It seems like I have a few machines that it is hard to tell if the inner tabs are bent and which direction they go.
Here are a couple more pages that deal with what I'm talking about.
https://oldsingersewingmachineblog.c...utch-part-one/
Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
There is a good explanation of the Clamp Stop Motion Clamp Stop Screw which can be found at https://oldsingersewingmachineblog.c...nger-part-two/
Please note that some of the pictures are shown with Clamp Stop Motion Clamp Washer with it upside down (not the proper position) for showing the purpose of the Stop Screw. ....
Old 02-14-2024, 07:39 AM

Thank you. Yes I did hold hand wheel and turn clutch knob towards me. I think I am going to take apart and clean. Thank you very much.