Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
(Winding) Ways to disaster >

(Winding) Ways to disaster

(Winding) Ways to disaster

Old 01-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Zoo

Hey Ladies,
Thanks for the kind words, advice and encouragment. I'm going to try making another block this afternoon see how it goes, then leave it for awhile.
Zoo
Old 01-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

Oh, that block is really a pretty one. I haven't tried the curves either yet. I still consider myself a newbie on so many things and since I don't have a sewing background...welll, things like this scare me :oops:

You'll get it...just keep at it. :wink:
Old 01-23-2009, 02:37 PM

I really don't know how much this will help you, but it helped me. I did 3 drunkards paths. When I sewed the curves I did NOT pin. I found it harder to sew them with the pins.

I also placed the smaller curved piece on top about 1/8-1/4" above the larger piece. When I finished sewing those two together I had to trim them down because of the extra hanging over the edge, but they turned out perfect in the end.

I think you blue and green block looks great! I can see the problem in the pink, but it's not so bad it couldn't be used.

Lynette
Old 01-26-2009, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

i have been dealing with a problem squaring up and found out it was bc I used steam in the beginning and stretched my center panel. Maybe that's not your problem, but thought if it was, might help you. I wish i had figured it out sooner. I am going full speed ahead with this quilt anyway. I even had to trim some beautiful work, but I can live with it, bc i know I am better than this quilt shows and in the future my other quilts will reflect it. I say if you like what your doing, like the colors etc. (I do, think they are really nice), keep going. We can't learn if we don't accept that we will make mistakes. rooting for ya! :wink:
Old 01-29-2009, 01:56 PM

The blue and green block looks just fine.

I usually cut my curved pieced blocks just a little big (1/8 inch or so) so I can square them up when I have them finished. The best thing I can tell you is just to practice and to starch them heavily.

Tricia
Old 02-01-2010, 11:32 PM

I made this pattern a few years ago and what i remember about it is that I had to sew these pieces very slowly. I even set my machine to the lowest speed. And actually, I think your blocks are looking pretty good. Please persevere as you will be very happy that you took on this project and mastered it. It's a beautiful pattern. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2010, 04:37 AM

I had sewn curved blocks before but I had trouble with her directions when my small group made winding way quilts. Mine came out OK but I could see where the problems where, I donated it to local church's charity drive. May in Jersey