Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Winding Ways >

Winding Ways

Winding Ways

Old 05-13-2010, 07:03 PM

This is one of my favorite designs. In fact, I am using this for the friendship block exchange for 22 guild members.

Let's talk about kits. I purchased the Wheel of Mystery kit in batiks from John Flynn. The fabric was tightly woven and the laser cut pieces were less prone to ravel.

Now, let's talk about construction technique. Go to Marti Michell's website and review her method. I prefer that technique to what I had used by following John Flynn's directions.

Using Marti's technique, you will be able to do this easily by hand or by machine.

I guarantee that you will have a blast pre-planning the placement of the colors prior to beginning assembly.

Good luck and happy sewing :-)
Old 05-13-2010, 09:03 PM

Mary, if you're new to sewing and quilting and really want to make this quilt just get really friendly with your box of pins. It will work and you can do it. Just don't expect to get it done in a week. When you pin the curves together don't stretch either one. Let the outer curve curl around the inner one like the cuff on a sleeve. Sew it with the inner curve up and let it curl up as you sew. It will come out fine. Once you do a couple you understand what I mean by "curling up". I love this pattern but always hated sewing curves until I discovered the method of not trying to keep it flat on the machine bed. This one is on my "to do" list.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:12 AM

It has finally stopped raining, been raining all week, I have some yard work to do and then will start gathering the material. Thanks to all that have given me advise and words of wisdom.