Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wonder Clips - What size suits you? >

Wonder Clips - What size suits you?

Wonder Clips - What size suits you?

Old 03-07-2017, 02:45 PM

I have the minis, got them at a good price, but I absolutely hate them, gave them away to a student of mine.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
My dear hubby made my wonder clips by cutting the little pant clips off of the new small pant hangers you get with some Walmart clothing. They are great for closing bags of chips, pretzels and pastas also. He is so creative.
What a great idea. I use those types of hangers for clothing until one clip breaks. Won't need to toss the other away now.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I use to use the hair clips but they can't compare to the Wonder Clips to me. I threw the hair clips away. No one in the guild wanted them, we all use Wonder Clips.
I use the metal hair clips when I wrap my fabric around comic book boards.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
I use the small ones mostly. I got an assortment of the clips from Amazon. They are not Clover brand and were much less expensive. With the assortment you can choose which size you like best. The container says "Super Clips" and there were 20 large ones and 50 small ones. The are different colors which make them fun too.
That was going to be my next question. Do you need to buy the clover brand?
Old 03-07-2017, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
I think people are confusing the miniclips with the regular sized ones on here. The minis are for piecing, they have a tighter hold so are perfect for piecing. They are too small for binding. I like the regular clips for binding. I do use the large for clipping thick items
Thanks for clarifying the sizes. I was thinking the "mini clip" was for binding, but they may not open wide enough for 7 layers. (https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/s...NIEuAa&usqp=CA

You're saying the red clip works better for binding. (https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/s...ktxlS&usqp=CAE)

Last edited by thrums; 03-07-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:08 PM

Yes, the red ones you linked to, thrums. They do a great job on holding binding. Seven layers? I doubt it, but I haven't actually tried.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:55 PM

I like the regular size for holding my binding in place, but I have some of the mini ones, too. They were recommended by a teacher in a class of English ( paper) piecing who used Mylar instead of paper. She used the mini clips to hold the fabric to the Mylar shapes.

Leslie
Old 03-07-2017, 09:59 PM

I use the smaller ones and like them a lot. I also use the metal hair clips/barrettes to hold bindings until sewn. Both work well.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:37 AM

I learned something today! For ages there were only two sizes of Wonder clips - red and green. I called the red ones regular or mini, and the green ones jumbo. Apparently there is now a third, smaller size. I will have to get some of those, and quit calling my red ones minis!
Old 03-08-2017, 07:17 AM

I haven't tried the minis yet, I use the original (now middle) sized ones frequently, but not for binding. I don't clip or pin my bindings at all, just sew as I go.

I use the clips MOST often for temporarily joining blocks so I can move them from my design wall to my sewing machine without getting things out of order. I also use them a lot when joining rows of completed blocks together, and when putting on borders. I use them a lot on other sewing projects too; I just finished a couple of complicated baby bibs and the clips were great for that fussy task. Also at my embroidery machine, the big green clips help hold extra fabric away from the needle area when embroidering things like onesies. And DH has swiped a couple to use as bag clips in the kitchen, LOL.

I've seen the minis but I don't know what I'd use them for that the regular-sized red ones wouldn't handle, so I haven't bothered. Clipping just 2 pieces of fabric together works fine with the regular-sized red clips - I've never had it not grip or let anything slip.

I don't actually use pins on my quilts at all anymore, and I'm quite happy not to. I used to bleed at least once for every single quilt I made, now I don't! Thanks to Clover clips and Elmer's glue, my blood stays all inside my body where it belongs! LOL