Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wonder Under Fusible for Applique >

Wonder Under Fusible for Applique

Wonder Under Fusible for Applique

Old 02-22-2023, 08:49 AM

Default Wonder Under Fusible for Applique

Good morning!
I am working on a wall hanging project of my own design. It is a floral and I have used Wonder Under to fuse tiny pieces to a backing fabric for the centre of the flower. In your experience, is the fusible adequate to hold the pieces, without stitching them down to the background of the centre piece? Secondly, and I was planning on testing this, but maybe someone has already tried it, I put wonder Under on the backside of the background as well, thinking to fuse it later to the quilt top. However if I need or decide to do topstitching over the fused pieces, I suspect at this point it would be too sticky to do that without being fused to another fabric. Agreed? My subsequent thought is to apply a very lightweight fusible Pellon interfacing to cover the fusible sticky so I could sew the appliqué down prior to putting it on the quilt.

This has been a wall hanging of trial and error, hence my predicament :-).
Old 02-22-2023, 03:57 PM

I don't think Wonder Under is enough to guarantee a permanent stick. I actually use Heat n Bond ultra if I am not going to sew down anything appliqued. The down side of using Heat n Bond Ultra is that, if one decides after the fact, to stitch through it, it can make quite a sticky mess of the needle.

I know some people use a fine mesh over projects with many little pieces and do a meander type all over quilting.

As to the second part of your question, sorry can't help you there.
Old 02-22-2023, 04:45 PM

What weight of Wonder Under did you use? Some are meant for fusing without stitching but in my limited experience they are quite stiff?
Old 02-22-2023, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
What weight of Wonder Under did you use? Some are meant for fusing without stitching but in my limited experience they are quite stiff?
I'm using Wonder Under by Pellon #805. “The Original Paper Backed Fusible Web”. In the instructions it does not say anything about stitching it down afterward. And says machine wash warm, which being a wall hanging, I don’t plan on washing it at all.

The main flower petals are all fused with Steam a Seam 2, a very heavy weight fusible, so it won’t be coming off. The problem with it is that it is too stiff and dense to allow for much top stitching or quilting when you use multiple layers where they overlap. That’s why I chose Wonder Under, so I could stitch it if it needed it, or I wanted to add to it, with beads or something.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
I don't think Wonder Under is enough to guarantee a permanent stick. I actually use Heat n Bond ultra if I am not going to sew down anything appliqued. The down side of using Heat n Bond Ultra is that, if one decides after the fact, to stitch through it, it can make quite a sticky mess of the needle.

I know some people use a fine mesh over projects with many little pieces and do a meander type all over quilting.

As to the second part of your question, sorry can't help you there.
I have considered using some tulle to cover it, but I rather like the look without it. I’ve used heavier fusible for the petals, but it limits my options in adding stitching, so I chose the Wonder Under Pellon 805 product, which doesn’t recommend specifically to stitch down after fusing and I haven’t used it on a project that I’ve had for long enough to evaluate its adherence longevity. It does seem to fuse readily though.
Old 02-23-2023, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

If it is a wallhanging that will never be washed, it may hold. I have always stitched the edges of appliqués when using Wonder Under.
Old 02-24-2023, 07:03 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If it is a wallhanging that will never be washed, it may hold. I have always stitched the edges of appliqués when using Wonder Under.
That’s kind of how I’m leaning. They are very small pieces. I think I finally figured out how to upload a picture.
Attached Thumbnails 5595f73f-53a5-4679-bafb-916db388f904.jpeg  
Old 03-01-2023, 06:25 AM

Beautiful wall hanging Kwiltr. Love the cheerful colors.
Old 03-01-2023, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
Beautiful wall hanging Kwiltr. Love the cheerful colors.
Thank you!