Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wondered Why the Machine Was Being Balky...DUH!!! >

Wondered Why the Machine Was Being Balky...DUH!!!

Wondered Why the Machine Was Being Balky...DUH!!!

Old 09-13-2011, 03:09 AM

Great reminder!!
Old 09-13-2011, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
My modern Brother machine had been very trouble free for the 18 months I have had it. It was great and had 80 decorative stitches, was a strong stitcher, etc. I had no complaints about it at all.

About 3 weeks ago it started acting really strange, tangling bobbin thread, breaking top thread at the feeddogs, not moving the fabric through right. I set it on the floor and took out my vintage Singer 301 and Featherweight and finished a couple of projects.

Last night DH helped me get the needle plate off to take a look. Well, goodness!! No wonder it was acting strange!! I realized not once had I taken that plate off, and every single nook, cranny, spring, space, crack, feeddog track and all was packed solid with lint.

DUH!!! I just hadn't thought about it, since it's a drop in bobbin in front of the foot.

SO....CLEAN YOUR MACHINE!! I should post that over my thread rack on the wall. Sorry, little Brother machine....I promise not to neglect you again!!
I took a class at the library and the instructor said that most problems with machines were the need of cleaning or re-threading. That seem overly simplistic but honestly it can very well be that. I was working on a project and the stitches were not coming out like they should. I had just used the machine the day before. It was fine and then the stitches were a mess. It didn't look like there was anything wrong with the threading but I took it all out. Even reloaded the bobbin and what do ya know! It worked :-) Sometimes, it is the simple things. I probably should clean mine now. Thanks for the reminder, Sarah
Old 09-13-2011, 04:11 AM

Watch those feed dogs too, they fill up.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:20 AM
j

I clean my machine like every two weeks, it seems to need it about then. It is amazing how much lint comes off the material. -- J
Old 09-13-2011, 04:29 AM

Learned that at a class when bought my Bernina 11 plus years ago and love to keep it clean, never a single problem with it yet.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:33 AM

I have developed the habit of cleaning lint from the bobbin case when I change the needles. A can of Air Dust really does the trick.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:37 AM
Banned

when a person brings me their machine that is having issues, this is the first thing I look for! Packed with lint is the #1 problem! the #2 problem is usually the needles is not in properly and #3 the bobbin winder is engaged!
Old 09-13-2011, 04:40 AM

I clean mine every bobbin change, with air.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:42 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Originally Posted by dweeks
I have developed the habit of cleaning lint from the bobbin case when I change the needles. A can of Air Dust really does the trick.
I was told canned air drives lint deeper into the machine. I have a nice pointy-tipped round watercolor brush that does a nice job. but I haven't cleaned in a while. Guess I'll go do that.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:47 AM

Glad you got it working again and told us that drop in bobbin areas need to be clean out also. I clean my Pfaff and Brother out whenever I change bobbins but never thought about doing the same with the little Gem.