Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wonky Fat Quarters!! What is the standard??? >

Wonky Fat Quarters!! What is the standard???

Wonky Fat Quarters!! What is the standard???

Old 07-11-2011, 05:49 PM

I tell my students that all FQ are NOT created equal. I too have not been able to get what I need from a FQ :(
Old 07-11-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by SueSew
Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
she uses 54 inch wide PFD fabric and cuts it the opposite way so she can get 3 FQs across the width of the fabric without any waste.

if she cut it the traditional way she would have 10 inches of waste for every width she cut.

as far as some off and some not, she didn't account for shrinking when she cut the fabric for dyeing. even PFD shrinks during the process - the up side is the fabric has been put through so much it won't shrink on you.

as far as a standard, i always believed there was one but lately there has been a number of complaints on the board that people aren't getting the exact size any longer.
I figured it was well-washed (it sure looked it and vendor assured me she had washed after dying with sympatrol? or whatever it is called to set the colors) but I didn't know the hand-dye implications (nor was I told) so I assumed it was std layout. 54' would give you 3 18" max. which makes sense.

What is PFD?

Thanks for the enlightenment on hand-dyes.

PFD prepared for dying.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:31 PM

go for it girl! i'm tired of getting shorted too.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:42 AM

Thank you all - Lessons learned on this project for sure - hand dyes fats have selvage vertical or horizontal, not all fat quarters created equal, beware when doing a pattern 'designed for 18 different colors of fat quarters' which would have been better made from 18 leftovers...And I have still to sew the 18" (hah) strips into 18" striped sets and then cut them into 8 1/2 inch blocks...and then hope they square up.

I don't think I will ever have 'learned to quilt' if I live another 20 years and every project shows me how much farther I have to go but I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 05:14 AM

FYI I emailed the shop I bought the fabric from and explained the problem, and she offered right away to send me a refund for everything I had purchased, sight unseen, which is quite a handsome offer. - I declined as I had figured out how to use most of it somehow, just not strip-pieced and vertical. Alls well. :)